Rise M-Team AXS Dropper; Rerouting Brake Hose

BengtWeil

Sep 17, 2022
California, USA
I am planning on removing my Fox Transfer dropper and installing an AXS dropper. Upon removal of the dropper cable, I was hoping that the rear brake hose would fit and could be routed thru the dropper cable's port on the right side of the head tube where the display wire also lives.

I have already swapped the hoses on the brake levers, moto-style and running the left brake hose (which is now the rear brake) through the port on the right side of the head tube would be less stressful on the hose.

I'm planning on dropping the motor to make this change, as I believe it will be easier and more efficient to properly remove and re-route the cables/hose as desired. It appears the brake hose is about 5mm diameter, which is slightly larger than the dropper cable, which is about 4.2mm - just don't know if the hose will fit the dropper cable's port along with the existing display wire.

Has anyone run the rear brake hose through the "dropper cable" port or if the brake hose diameter will fit along with the Shimano display wire in this port? Thank you!

Last edited:

nrgbod

Mar 11, 2022
Middlesbrough
My UK Rise came from the factory with rear brake hose, dropper cable and display wire all routed through port on the RH side of the head tube. UK bikes have the rear brake lever on the left. I removed the gear cable from the LH side port and blanked the hole off when I fitted AXS derailleur.

20220918_171617.jpg

BengtWeil

Sep 17, 2022
California, USA
Thanks for the reply. I am assuming your Rise is an aluminum frame, as the left side port is quite different from the carbon frame. I should have specified my inquiry was for a 2021 carbon Rise.

BengtWeil

Sep 17, 2022
California, USA
To follow up, removing the dropper cable from the right cable port on the carbon frame does allow for re-routing the rear brake hose through that same port along with the Shimano display wire. Dropping the motor and fork made it a simple task to properly route the rear brake hose through the internal guide and right headset cable port.
Now with the full AXS upgrade of shifter & dropper, there are no cables/hoses running through the left headset cable port.

doochenozzle

May 16, 2023
Dildo, Newfoundland
To follow up, removing the dropper cable from the right cable port on the carbon frame does allow for re-routing the rear brake hose through that same port along with the Shimano display wire. Dropping the motor and fork made it a simple task to properly route the rear brake hose through the internal guide and right headset cable port.
Now with the full AXS upgrade of shifter & dropper, there are no cables/hoses running through the left headset cable port.
How much faff is dropping the motor? I’m an intermediate mechanic. The other consideration - I’m about to get a 2023 and want to do away with the headset routing. I’m happy to run cable guides on top of the downtube and then into the rear stays but that still leaves the controller wire and dropper.

BengtWeil

Sep 17, 2022
California, USA
How much faff is dropping the motor? I’m an intermediate mechanic. The other consideration - I’m about to get a 2023 and want to do away with the headset routing. I’m happy to run cable guides on top of the downtube and then into the rear stays but that still leaves the controller wire and dropper.
Pretty simple to do - just make note of how it comes apart (reference the Orbea Blue Paper for info, parts sequencing & torque specs). You will need the correct tool to remove the chainring and it is nice to have the Shimano tool to remove the connections to the motor, though with care, it can be done with other tools.

As for the 2023 with the headset routing - rather than trying to externally route the rear brake, controller, dropper and derailleur cables, I'd start planning on a 2024. Hopefully the whole headset cable routing thing will go away (what were they thinking?!). Going with SRAM AXS for the derailleur and dropper post will get rid of those cables...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles