My Focus Jam2 dropper seat is very sluggish.

KRolo

Dec 1, 2018
fullsail25
I rode my Focus Jam2 Plus on single track last night for the first time and found that my saddle wouldn't come all the way up and was really sluggish. Anyone else having this problem or advice?

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
Mine was like that when I first got my bike. I was getting really frustrated and was about to take it back to my LBS when I realised that the connection at the switch end is actually a threaded adjuster. Had to screw in a bit out a bit e.t.c. till I got it in the right place but now it works perfectly. Bit finicky to get right but it does work.

KRolo

Dec 1, 2018
fullsail25
Mine was like that when I first got my bike. I was getting really frustrated and was about to take it back to my LBS when I realised that the connection at the switch end is actually a threaded adjuster. Had to screw in a bit out a bit e.t.c. till I got it in the right place but now it works perfectly. Bit finicky to get right but it does work.
Thanks. I'll try that.

hemi.rokingi

Dec 13, 2018
Australia
I had a similar problem on a different branded dropper - all it required was unscrewing the collar and putting some grease around the bottom of the post. Worth a try?

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
I second putting a bit of lube on the shaft. It will keep it gliding nice.
Nothing worse than moving a dry shaft in and out, in and out.

Last edited:

Shaun

May 12, 2018
Saint Mary Bourne
Mine stayed down when riding this weekend in the snow and cold conditions. It only returned to normal slow operation once the bike was back inside and had reached room temperature. I saw a thread which claimed that this particular seat post does not work at lower temperatures.

Mine is sluggish at best so would be interested also if there is an adjustment to overcome both sluggish response and low ambient temperature inoperability.

bissona

Patreon
Oct 14, 2018
Guernsey
Mine did that until I wiggled the cable about, making sure there was enough play under the motor to allow the inner to move. Also gave it a squirt of oil and has been fine since. Cold seems to have no impact on whatever is fitted to my Jam2Ltd.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
On my test ride I had a problem with the dropper. The guy loosened the seatpost clamp and pulled the whole lot out. The cable had got kinked, so he straightened it out and re-inserted whilst pulling on the lever end. No more problems.

Shaun

May 12, 2018
Saint Mary Bourne
Thanks for this...it’s actually a speed controller.
Just adjusted mine to the fastest setting and now it’s working perfectly.

An easy fix once you know the trick.

KRolo

Dec 1, 2018
fullsail25
I rotated the connection that is not directly connected to the dropper switch but a few inches out on the cable and got the seat to go up and down fairly fast but it wouldn't stay down when the switch is released. When I screw it to a point where it will stay down then it is sluggish to rise. Should I be turning the cable directly next to the switch?

IMG_6259.jpg

DAZ1925

Nov 7, 2018
UK
KRolo, the adjuster you need to tune the dropper lever is at the end of the metal pipe in thee middle of your photo. The way I set them up is to lean heavily on the saddle and turn the adjuster until the post starts to drop under my weight, I then turn it back one click (quarter of a turn) if it still drops when riding just keep turning it back in one click at a time.

As someone has already mentioned there could be a loop/kink in the cable in the seat tube (mine was) as shops don't always set the seat to the right height, any slack should be pulled back up to the handlebars. The best way I've found to check for this is to loosen the seat clamp and remove the lever from the handlebars, as you pull the dropper post out feed the cable into the frame until the post is completely clear of the frame. Mine had a little kink in the cable which I trimmed off and reattached to the dropper post. When refitting remember to pull the cable as you feed the dropper post back into the seat tube otherwise you could end up with the same issue. Just be careful you don't remove too much cable if you have a kink!

Hope this helps

KRolo

Dec 1, 2018
fullsail25
Thanks for all the advice. I tried your "leaning on the seat" adjustment advice and it worked great. It's still doesn't pop up as fast as I like but adequate.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles