More costs coming for UK ↔ EU purchases?

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
As an ex-Brit living in Germany, my UK bank* has just told me to bugger off as a customer. This is part of the whole Britain imposing sanctions on itself story.

Whilst researching my options, I came across the fact that credit card companies will soon start charging more for imports/exports across the UK/EU borders. Whether it will mean some retailers not selling across the boarder or prices going up a bit, I don't know, but I know a number of you purchase across the border, so I thought it might be of interest.

In any case, here's the story where I saw the information

*I've been with them since I was at school!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That is a good article that you linked to. They explain the problem, list the problems and provide several solutions to each one. I can understand the irritation you feel at the treatment from a bank that you have been loyal to since you were a schoolboy, but worse things can happen. According to the article you linked, moving your account to HSBC or an internet bank would appear to solve the problem. At least they will be happy to see you!
PS: I do not work for a bank.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Thanks Tim, I had similar issues working/living in the US/Canada/Germany/Switzerland over the course of the last 20 years. Wasn’t subjected to having bank accounts closed but fees and rates when spending between countries got silly.

I ended up getting my employers to reference me and then I opened offshore accounts which they paid into.

Sounds complex and expensive but it was really simple and then the international spending fees disappeared.

Judging by the news surrounding the UK at the moment, it doesnt sound so stupid now ? I barely hold any money in the UK now.

Btw you can use a VPN such as Nordvpn etc to sort out the georeferencing (the thing that Spotify use to provide recommendations etc). I use one when abroad. Also a positive side effect is you can access US Netflix which is a shed load better than the UK crap selection!

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Thanks @MrSimmo! I actually use a DynDNS service at home to get UK TV services. Spotify don't actually use network geofencing like other services. It really is fixed to the country in which you pay. It's stupid that they don't allow you to select your home area as it's no skin off their nose.

...hmmm I seem to be going a tad of topic here, maybe I can loop it back to listen to music whilst riding your emtb...

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Thanks @MrSimmo! I actually use a DynDNS service at home to get UK TV services. Spotify don't actually use network geofencing like other services. It really is fixed to the country in which you pay. It's stupid that they don't allow you to select your home area as it's no skin off their nose.

...hmmm I seem to be going a tad of topic here, maybe I can loop it back to listen to music whilst riding your emtb...

Ah stupid Spotify, I guess I must have some weird old style account which causes it to work like that, I have had it for years. Maybe worth trying an eval of Apple Music? I just switched as spotify wanted to charge me 50% extra for lossless where as AM threw it in.

? sure you can why not ?

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
True. It's just one of many small pains from Brexit. This particular one annoys me as I have to use a UK credit card to pay for my Spotify account so that I get UK-based recommendations. I love Germany, but Schlager Musik makes me want to vomit.
Take a few more beers, maybe it will start to sound like music

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
As an ex-Brit living in Germany, my UK bank* has just told me to bugger off as a customer. This is part of the whole Britain imposing sanctions on itself story.

Whilst researching my options, I came across the fact that credit card companies will soon start charging more for imports/exports across the UK/EU borders. Whether it will mean some retailers not selling across the boarder or prices going up a bit, I don't know, but I know a number of you purchase across the border, so I thought it might be of interest.

In any case, here's the story where I saw the information

*I've been with them since I was at school!

Open a Wise account. There are no transaction fees on the debit card. The exchange rates are calculated at mid-rate, with a small fee added. Better still, I use it for receiving US dollars which one of my clients insists on paying me with. I have a bank account number for every currency I use. You can set up the debit card as multi-currency so that you always pay in the original currency. Can't see how I managed without one. (BTW, I'm an engineer who does not work for a bank!).

Last edited:

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Open a Wise account. There are no transaction fees on the debit card. The exchange rates are calculated at mid-rate, with a small fee added. Better still, I use it for receiving US dollars which one of my clients insists on paying me with. I have a bank account number for every currency I use. You can set up the debit card as multi-currency so that you always pay in the original currency. Can't see how I managed without one. (BTW, I'm an engineer who does not work for a bank!).
Thank you! I'll give them a butcher's.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
After some technical issues with their website, I was able to speak to someone on Barclay's help line to get my address changed to a UK one (my parents'). No proof of residency seems to be required.

All a bit of a fag, though!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles