Importing a battery from EU to UK rant

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Last year I purchased a Ebike Vision Yamaha compatible 624wh battery from Germany as there are no UK stockists, the process was painless and at a reasonable price.
Stupidly I only purchased one as now, after the 1st Jan changes to our trading status, I'm struggling to find any European stockist who will ship to the UK due to the restrictions on transporting lithium batteries to a non-EU country. The companies who are willing to go through the process are quoting almost €300 for the carriage charge.
On top of this I'll have to pay an import tariff of 2% then VAT on the total plus a handling change by the courier company, bringing the total to around £1000.

Looks like I need to take a trip to Europe when it's possible again.....

Last edited:

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I was lucky and got in just before the changes. Its a shame as was ~£200 cheaper than I could get over here.

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
To be fair, I think the restrictions on transporting any lithium batteries have been tightening up recently. Have seen a form where we've been asked to declare the weight of lithium in the battery, with under or over 1g being a category!

I know there has been issues with flying with ebikes in the past. Are you categorically allowed to drive with one? Would not be certain about that :cry:

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Whenever I was back in Blighty, I would stock up on some of my favourite goods to bring them back to Germany. No idea what would now be taken off me.

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
Last year I purchased a Ebike Vision Yamaha compatible 624wh battery from Germany as there are no UK stockists, the process was painless and at a reasonable price.
Stupidly I only purchased one as now, after the 1st Jan changes to our trading status, I'm struggling to find any European stockist who will ship to the UK due to the restrictions on transporting lithium batteries to a non-EU country. The companies who are willing to go through the process are quoting almost €300 for the carriage charge.
On top of this I'll have to pay an import tariff of 2% then VAT on the total plus a handling change by the courier company, bringing the total to around £1000.

Looks like I need to take a trip to Europe when it's possible again.....

Have you consider parcel forwarding? Not sure how that works post breshxit might be worth exploring.

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
It'd probably be similar to non EU arrivals - or when you visit other far flung destinations. Australia and NZ are pretty hot for example. You have to clean your boots of soil etc.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I'm not 100% this is Brexit related, would be interested to know if there were similar intra Europe regs if you were flying a big battery.
There are regulations, but no bans. Seems to be mostly about labelling, packaging and the transport company following certain rules. Haven't read it in detail, but feel free to do so here: http://www.epta.eu/images/pdf/Guidance-Document_ZVEI-EPTA_December_2020.pdf

Whilst I hate the self-imposed sanctions that they call Brexit, I'm sure things will get easier. Boris had the option of extending the grace period so that companies could get ready for the changes, but didn't want to. This is the main thing we are currently suffering from. It will never and can never be frictionless as before, but it will get better.

LordSpam

Oct 14, 2020
UK
To be fair, I think the restrictions on transporting any lithium batteries have been tightening up recently. Have seen a form where we've been asked to declare the weight of lithium in the battery, with under or over 1g being a category!

I know there has been issues with flying with ebikes in the past. Are you categorically allowed to drive with one? Would not be certain about that :cry:

As a private citizen transporting your bike there are no restrictions on you travelling with your bike and battery.

If you are a shop or business transporting them then you will need to abide by the rules of ADR. As the batteries are so big they will need to be transported with the correct paperwork, if a single bike was being transported you could classify it as a battery within equipment provided you can prevent accidental activation. If there were extra batteries then the would need to be carried in an approved package with the battery prevented from short circuit.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Bike suppliers in the UK have no problems importing batteries so it might be an idea to see if the local LBS is prepared to order it and add it to an existing order.
Despatch of a single battery given the latest regulations and the fact that they differ for road, sea and air transport is probably something a lot of carriers are not willing to provide as a service due to the complexity and overheads involved. I think FEDEX have set themselves up fully to transport high powered Lithium batteries but retailers have existing contracts with one or two carriers and a re not going to use anyone other than them for just occasional orders.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles