MicroShift Drive Trains on EMTBs?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Diverting slightly I guess.

I couldn't get the Microshift on my bike to stop slipping in the 11t. I'm guessing there's different dynamics between bikes which will make this happen or not happen.

On a positive note Microshift have been incredibly helpful with trying to sort things out and even sent the new derailleur.

I think the easiest solution if this is your problem is to just buy a Shimano M5100 11 speed derailleur which matches up and works fine.

I decided to buy a Linkglide/cues 10 speed setup as I thought the mech spacing was the same for some reason.

No idea if it was or wasn't as I couldn't get it to work. Changed the shifter. Same problem.

Linkglide 10s is totally different spacing to the Microshift so had to also change the cassette.

This was my first ever experience of Shimano drivetrains gear being junk.

Eventually got it working nicely by ignoring the Shimano setup info and running the B screw all the way out.

Quality wise, the Microshift shifter is nicer and less clunky than the Shimano Cues one. Though the Shimano one has the two direction option if you're used to that and like it.

1699644384142.png

The microshift derailleur is also sleeker, 70g lighter and far nicer made than the Cues U6000 (which is a pile of junk) Buy an M5130 which is rated at 43t but works upto 48t.

1699644466781.png

Back to back. Shifting is pretty similar .. The Shimano linkglide is possibly slightly smoother on shift when riding, though less smooth in a stand. The Shimano in fairness to it is incredibly tolerant to bad setup, you can twiddle the barrel adjuster all you like and it will still shift properly.

The Microshift seemed pretty happy with Shimano or SRAM chains (Though mine broke it's KMC chain on the second ride). The Shimano felt like a bag of crap and was binding in the 11t and the chainring with a Shimano chain, but was smooth and nice with a SRAM chain.

Given the choice, as a self confessed Shimano fan on the drivetrain front, I actually prefer the build and feel of the Microshift, but the mech is working beyond it's design tolerances in the 11t so doesn't play nicely.

Ironically, the linkglide cues setup - cassette, mech, shifter and chain was only €100 ... So is the budget option ...

Perryqhill

Jul 16, 2023
Doncaster, Uk
I could be wrong but I think Linkglide isn't meant to be mixed and matched with most the other 10/11 speed shimano stuff (depending on what speed you buy or have in both). Sometimes things work anyway but I'm sure I've read it as I did initially think of gradually moving over to it bit by bit but having read its not compatible I'm not sure.

Going back to the feel of it - I do agree with you. The Microshift Avent X (iirc) shifter and derailleur I had seemed to be made out of better materials than the Deore stuff I bought and also felt as good changing and better to touch on the shifter. However in terms of how it works - no contest so far, the Shimano just does what it's meant to.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I could be wrong but I think Linkglide isn't meant to be mixed and matched with most the other 10/11 speed shimano stuff (depending on what speed you buy or have in both). Sometimes things work anyway but I'm sure I've read it as I did initially think of gradually moving over to it bit by bit but having read its not compatible I'm not sure.
I think your right.

Pretty much anything with the Linkglide symbol on will work with anything else linkglide - but in theory isn't compatible with anything else.

When it first came out I was really sad and sat and worked out some of the things which would work and put them in a thread somewhere, but I can't remember what it was or where :) It really was that boring !

Likewise some of the microshift cross comparability. The shimano 11 speed mechs will work with it. But I can't remember what else and in what combination. Once something becomes uninteresting, my brain dumps it - or hides it behind a screen which takes a long time to move.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles