Switch from 12 speed to 10 speed?

Hairsy

Dec 4, 2020
Christchurch, Dorset
I've seen a number of people suggesting that there are long term maintenance cost savings to be made by switching from Shimano 12 speed to 10 speed when it's time to replace a 12 speed cassette.

I'm not yet in need of a change but am thinking ahead. Would there be a recommended 10 speed setup to switch to?

I currently have Deore CS-M6100 1--51T cassette, XT RD-M8100-SGS Shadowplus derailleur, Deore SL-M6100 Rapidfire-Plus shifter.

I'm assuming all of this need replacement? Any particular recommendations?

And what about the hub - I'm assuming that a 10 speed cassette wouldn't be a straight swap?

Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I've seen a number of people suggesting that there are long term maintenance cost savings to be made by switching from Shimano 12 speed to 10 speed when it's time to replace a 12 speed cassette.

I'm not yet in need of a change but am thinking ahead. Would there be a recommended 10 speed setup to switch to?

I currently have Deore CS-M6100 1--51T cassette, XT RD-M8100-SGS Shadowplus derailleur, Deore SL-M6100 Rapidfire-Plus shifter.

I'm assuming all of this need replacement? Any particular recommendations?

And what about the hub - I'm assuming that a 10 speed cassette wouldn't be a straight swap?

Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you.
See what the saving in cost is to buy a complete new 10 speed set up , inc a free hub , it’s probably cheaper to just buy the new 12 speed chain and cassette , presuming your mech and shifters are ok .
ive no idea of current prices , but I don’t see all the offers that used to be about from the big online sellers

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles