Levo Gen 3 May have made mistake, Bought Levo carbon (base) with 500w battery, might not be enough

RodneyH

May 28, 2023
Orange County
I ended up writing waaaay too much background, so read below if you want, but the bottom line is, I am starting to think the 500w battery isn't enough in my Levo Carbon (I haven't tested it yet, but rode another brand of eMTB with 500w battery and ran out of juice). I had always assumed that there was a range extender for the Levo, I had NO idea that they are only for the SL bikes (seems kind lame).

What are my options? Sell my "new" 500w and get a 700w (I doubt the dealer would let me trade+cash for a 700)? Buy an aftermarket range extender (they are almost as much as having another 500w battery on hand)? or buy a used or slightly used 500w and have it in my camelback as backup?

Background, if you are bored...
Ok, So I have been totally sold on getting an eMTB as soon as my brother got a second one (had an Intense Tazer, then got G3 S-Works Levo) and he let me borrow his Intense and went on a ride, a few months ago. My background is Moto, BMX and MTB (mostly DH, or hate the up, only to enjoy the down). Haven't really ridden much lately and not really in shape. Im the perfect candidate for eMTB

In a weird set of events, I sort of inherited a nearly new 2017 Haibike X-duro. It was was a decent bike, but too small, so I traded someone for a similar Haibike in a larger size. I have upgraded many of the parts with stuff i've had kicking around, brother had kicking around and other stuff I have bought. The parts now are probably "too good" for the bike, and the more I ride, the more I can justify thinking of getting something better.

Fast forward and I see the Specialized deals and it looks like the cheapest Carbon Levo is getting harder and harder to find, so I jump on one. My plan was to put all of the upgraded parts I have on the haibike on the Levo Carbon (XTR drivetrain, Renthal bars/stem, DT swiss 1700 wheels, etc...).

I basically ended up getting it for myself as an anniv gift, but Im not going to start the build for another couple of weeks, when it is actually my Anniv. So a week ago I am on my Haibike (500w battery, which is supposedly a "new battery" which uses a Bosch CX performance motor) went on a slightly longer ride than I usually do and the last couple of miles, it said I had ZERO miles left. I didn't think much of it, since the battery is only approx 75% full anyway. A couple days ago, went on an even longer ride, with a faster set of riders and I ran out of juice, NO assist, a couple of miles from our ending point.

Now I am a little nervous that the 500w battery in my Levo will be "enough". I weigh approx 500lbs and we do a lot of climbing and spend a lot of time in the high assist ranges.

Sorry for the long post, but basically I am starting to question if I should have bought a bike with the 700w battery and what solutions there might be

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Buy a 700w battery, it will fit in the bike no issues, and then carry the 500w in your backpack for those ‘all day’ even longer rides?

Or sell the pack if it’s a new one, it will recoup some of the cost of the 700Wh battery.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
At 500lbs, you need all the battery you can get! I’d also check the weight limit on the levo.

Fwiw I mange ok with slightly worn out 500w battery, just use less turbo, but if I was buying today it would be the 700 because why not?

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
Levo have 700wh battery on all models today but if it's an older Levo battery is very expensive.
Who wants to buy a 500wh today they are discontinued

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
If you have bought a bike from a bike shop and not used it and want to upgrade and pay more for a better bike, im sure they will take the bike back and take more of your money.

PS 500lb? 226kg? if thi is the actual case you need the biggest battery you can lay your hands on!

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Levo have 700wh battery on all models today but if it's an older Levo battery is very expensive.
Who wants to buy a 500wh today they are discontinued

The base Levo here in the UK comes with a 500Wh battery, fine for my requirements to be fair on the general trails I ride.

My 2019 Jam2 has a tiny 378Wh battery, that bike was a bit before its time perhaps as everybody wants lighter weight it seems, but I rarely need the range extender on my local loops.

Everybody’s different though! 👍

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
You said you haven’t even ridden it. Talk to your dealer about trading it in for comp model (alloy or carbon) with 700wh battery. Done. Move on and enjoy 😊

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles