Other Cassette strong enough for Levo

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
The GX rear Mech and NX cassette on my Levo comp have to go ... shifting suck and I've already had to replace the 13T
I have a M8000 shifter and rear derailleur that I can use, now I just need to choose a cassette... Was looking at the 11/42 SLX but I don't know if that Alloy 42 will cope ???

So next option is a all steel DEORE M5100 11/42 . all steel and should be strong enough and also slightly lighter than the cassette on the bike (I think it is NX)

What cassette are you running.. so there is so much Non-info on the group when I did a search that is just confused me even more.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
I think it's not important what the 42 is made of....could be pineapple :)
You will propably never use it.

I use a 10 speed 11-36, which is fine (we have a motor)

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
I have very , very steep punchy climbs and lots of mountains I need to get up ... even on Turbo and 42 I get my heart rate to a few beats under MAX ... not sure I could go smaller

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
wanted to go BOX 9 ... for simplicity, but already have the 11 speed stuff, so don't want to have to purchase more than I need

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
The GX rear Mech and NX cassette on my Levo comp have to go ... shifting suck and I've already had to replace the 13T

GX cassettes have been fine for me; you can get a full steel one in 11 speed. When you say you had to replace the 13t, how long did it last? Anything over 500 miles on Levo is gravy IMO.

I think it's not important what the 42 is made of....could be pineapple :)
You will propably never use it.

I use a 10 speed 11-36, which is fine (we have a motor)

This says more about your trails, less about your fitness/motor, IMNSHO :) I regularly use my 50t (as in, several times per ride). It's not because I'm slow (to be fair, I am slow but this isn't the only reason...), it's because there are plenty of 25% grade climbs where I ride and 250 ft/mile is not unheard of (sorry for the freedom units). All turbo, all the time, so motor power isn't the issue either...

Reactions: jxj

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Curious to know what chain you're using...selfishly of course.
  • First chain was stock, KMC X11e, lasted 540 miles and was toast according to chainwear tool. Cassette was toast as well, replaced with XG-1150
  • Second chain was KMC X11e, lasted 843 miles before I upgraded to AXS, no measurable stretch. Really not sure why. Maybe the first chain was no good? Maybe the stock cassette was no good? But I also switched from primarily using Tri-Flow to Smoove
  • Third (current) chain is X01 on GX Eagle cassette and has 466 miles on it. No measurable stretch yet.

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
GX cassettes have been fine for me; you can get a full steel one in 11 speed. When you say you had to replace the 13t, how long did it last? Anything over 500 miles on Levo is gravy IMO.

This says more about your trails, less about your fitness/motor, IMNSHO :) I regularly use my 50t (as in, several times per ride). It's not because I'm slow (to be fair, I am slow but this isn't the only reason...), it's because there are plenty of 25% grade climbs where I ride and 250 ft/mile is not unheard of (sorry for the freedom units). All turbo, all the time, so motor power isn't the issue either...
Replaced the chain at 50% , did 1300km new chain did not work so well it was the 13t that kept jumping. So I replaced it with a 13 shimano one that is getting the job done but now working so great till I can get a new cassette

Ferd

Nov 30, 2020
CA
Not that anyone should care but I’ve never met a KMC chain I didnt twist into a pretzel on my regular pedal bike.. but I’ve only tried their expensive ones.

jxj

Jun 28, 2018
Sierra California
ebikeZA:
I'm in the Sierra and nothing to ride that isn't steep, my driveway is 15% and it gets worse from there. I need the big ring in back to clear the really steep stuff. I'm on a 2018 TL CC Large.

I'm running a SunRace CSMS8 (all steel, even the big ring) 11 Speed 11-46, Shimano M-8000 XT rear mech, 36T praxis wave steel chainring. Two KMC X-10 chains alternating/cleaning chains every 50-100 miles. I seem to get about 500-1000 miles with this procedure, Once the chains hit .5-.75% wear toss the entire cassette, chain ring and both chains in the trash and start over.

SunRace cassettes are heavy and cheap and wear well. Shift OK. All my shifting improved with the move to Shimano.

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
I have been using the NX casette and two kmc e bike specific chains for 1900km now. I am now replacing it with X01 12 speed so I wonder what chain to use?

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Reactions: EME
Oct 20, 2020
Colorado

"Freedom units"! I may have to use that...

Martin DH

Apr 27, 2020
Berkeley, California
I have a M8000 shifter and rear derailleur that I can use, now I just need to choose a cassette... Was looking at the 11/42 SLX but I don't know if that Alloy 42 will cope ???

So next option is a all steel DEORE M5100 11/42 . all steel and should be strong enough and also slightly lighter than the cassette on the bike (I think it is NX)

What cassette are you running.. so there is so much Non-info on the group when I did a search that is just confused me even more.
Hey @ebikeZA I am wondering about your experience with the NX and what made you want to change it. I have the same NX cassette on my levo and it has over 2000 miles on it. The shifting has been a bit inaccurate lately, but I think I've got a couple of cogs slightly off (warped) when I had a branch get stuck in the drivetrain a few weeks ago. Before that it was perfect. And as you know it is all steel, which makes it heavier but harder as well. When I look closely at the cassette, it looks like it still has over 50% lifespan on it, at least from my perception.
So my question is: do you see the teeth worn in the NX of what made you feel that you had to change it? The poor shifting was from the cassette or maybe the derailleur wasn't properly indexed?
I just want to be sure if I will change the cassette for another NX or i'll change to a X01, but as far as I know the NX is the only SRAM cassette truly rated for ebikes, so I don't want to buy an expensive X01 and have the cogs bent or something!

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Hey @ebikeZA
I just want to be sure if I will change the cassette for another NX or i'll change to a X01, but as far as I know the NX is the only SRAM cassette truly rated for ebikes, so I don't want to buy an expensive X01 and have the cogs bent or something!

Not sure where you're getting that opinion from. NX is no better than any other SRAM cassette for ebikes. It's heavy because of the construction method (full sized cogs with spacers), not because it's "stronger". The teeth are no different from GX.

The X01 and XX1 cassettes are machined from a solid piece of forged steel. NX (and GX) are made from stamped steel.

In any case, NX uses shimano splined freehub, X01/XX1 requires XD freehub, so you'd have to swap that as well.

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I doubt anyone blindfolded could tell the difference between GX and the more expensive options....all properly adjusted and without wear. In most cases all you get for the extra £/$ is a few grams savings in weight...hardly important to an EMTB.
On my 2019 Levo Comp the original cassette and chainwheel did 1200 miles on 2 chains...the first the original chain, the second a KMC hollow link chain. It was all still working flawlessly but I made the mistake of buying a third chain ( another KMC hollow link) which exposed the wear on the cassette and chainring. I could have continued using the previous chain but since it was my annual major service on the bike I decided to replace cassette and chainring and use the new chain. Chainwheel is the wave pattern Praxis steel 32t and the cassette the same as the original, SRAM PG1130. Gearchange is flawless and the drivetrain is near silent.
n.b I use hollow link chains which in my experience last just as long if not longer than supposed E bike chains, are quieter and change gear more smoothly, and inflict less wear on the cassette.

Martin DH

Apr 27, 2020
Berkeley, California
Not sure where you're getting that opinion from. NX is no better than any other SRAM cassette for ebikes. It's heavy because of the construction method (full sized cogs with spacers), not because it's "stronger". The teeth are no different from GX.

The X01 and XX1 cassettes are machined from a solid piece of forged steel. NX (and GX) are made from stamped steel.

In any case, NX uses shimano splined freehub, X01/XX1 requires XD freehub, so you'd have to swap that as well.
I read it here and there... that the NX was the only ebike rated. But if what you say is right and the X01 and XX1 is forged steel then they should be strong enough. I would definitely change the freehub body for an XD if I am sure that the X01 cassette will be as durable as the NX (which I guess should be true since many high end Levos come stock with those...
Does anybody know the difference between the X01 and XX1 cassette? (Anything that justifies the price difference)

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Any cassette will be fine and up to the task. Just learn how to ride and shift and don’t delete the power cut off speed.
I’ve seen cassettes destroyed in less than 300km from churning and burning.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Does anybody know the difference between the X01 and XX1 cassette? (Anything that justifies the price difference)

XX1 has a coating (and may weigh slightly more). It's supposed to help with durability.

Last edited:

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I read it here and there... that the NX was the only ebike rated. But if what you say is right and the X01 and XX1 is forged steel then they should be strong enough. I would definitely change the freehub body for an XD if I am sure that the X01 cassette will be as durable as the NX (which I guess should be true since many high end Levos come stock with those...

I think they would all be relatively equally durable (stamped steel vs forged is not going to result in double the life or anything crazy like that, maybe 10-20% difference?), so the main consideration is cost. My thinking has been, if I have to replace a cassette every 500-1000 miles I may as well use the cheap ones...

Edit: Also keep in mind quite a few folks report better shifting with a Shimano cassette + chain. You can get XT cheaper than even GX (but requires a microspline driver of course).

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
You're forgetting that XD is a weaker design than steel Shimano driver and 10t smallest cog on emtb is also not very good idea ...

Martin DH

Apr 27, 2020
Berkeley, California
You're forgetting that XD is a weaker design than steel Shimano driver and 10t smallest cog on emtb is also not very good idea ...
True, the XD has less surface of engagement between the freehub body and the cassette. That's another reason why I was sticking with the HG body. But again, many Levos come stock with the XD...! I heard bad things about the XD getting destroyed, but I imagine that can't be the case in most of the times, right?
My HG body has 2500 miles in it and there's barely any chewing you can see in it... I wonder if any of you guys had the XD for that long and has been ok??

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
Hey @ebikeZA I am wondering about your experience with the NX and what made you want to change it. I have the same NX cassette on my levo and it has over 2000 miles on it. The shifting has been a bit inaccurate lately, but I think I've got a couple of cogs slightly off (warped) when I had a branch get stuck in the drivetrain a few weeks ago. Before that it was perfect. And as you know it is all steel, which makes it heavier but harder as well. When I look closely at the cassette, it looks like it still has over 50% lifespan on it, at least from my perception.
So my question is: do you see the teeth worn in the NX of what made you feel that you had to change it? The poor shifting was from the cassette or maybe the derailleur wasn't properly indexed?

The NX was not a bad cassette , I have always had Shimano gear and I do honestly believe the Shimano shifts better. I had put a fair amount on miles on the NX and it was hard wearing, but when I changed the chain... the 13 would skip... (all the other teeth were fine) I must use the 13 a lot I think.

I eventually took the GX rear der and sram shifter off the bike and replaced it with a spare XT M8000 I have lying around ... this shifting was indeed smoother, up and down..... (expect the 13 of course)

So in order to get more life out of the cassette I found a old school 10 speed 13 tooth that I put on the cassette. now the indexing is slightly different so shifting to the 13 and off the 13 was not the smoothest.

Jumping back on my Analoge (11 speed XT) I was supprised how good the shifting is when running full Shimano...

So I need to get a new cassette anyways. so I might as well go Shimano ... I don't need a expansive cassette, so was looking for a all steel. and with a Shimano Driver so that leaves me with very few options .... NX (which I find does not shift so well under pressure but does last a very long time) or something from Shimano 11 speed. Problem is anything from SLX and above use a alloy 42. So to get the same millage I got form the NX ,I want a all steel Shimano option. There is nothing I can't climb with my 11/42 around here so I don't think I need a 46. But due to limited stock I might have to go the 46 route.....

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
For the Sram cassettes you have to look at how often the cogs are pinned. NX they are pinned about 5 time, GX they are pinned about 20. Have bent several NX cassettes, GX/XO1/XX1 have been solid.

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
I just changed my NX 11 speed kit which lasted 2000 km using two chains to Eagle 12 sped withan 52-10 XX1 casette. Much improved shifting especially when applying some force. Really worth it for me since I have a 36 chainring.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
This says more about your trails, less about your fitness/motor, IMNSHO :) I regularly use my 50t (as in, several times per ride). It's not because I'm slow (to be fair, I am slow but this isn't the only reason...), it's because there are plenty of 25% grade climbs where I ride and 250 ft/mile is not unheard of (sorry for the freedom units). All turbo, all the time,
Dude. That says more about your lack of fitness than anything.
I also ride with an 11-36 (and a 36t chainring). And some of the trails I ride climb 900ft in less than a mile. I can however climb the same trails fine on my normal bikes (11-42 x 34). Personally 50t sprockets would only be useful for climbing on my Emtb with the motor off (which I do also do)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles