Maxiss Rekon opinions on the m ltd.

Obikaii

Jan 10, 2022
Devon
I've read a lot of negative reviews on the oem tyres that come on the M ltd.
So my question is should I ditch them before I turn the cranks for the first time,or ride them until I wreck them,then replace?
For reference my preferred set up is usually magic Mary front & hans damph out back.

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
They're a fast rolling trail tyre that leans towards xc, they won't have the grip of the MM/Hans Dampf combo so I would lean toward changing them. Or run MM up front and use them as rears.

I'm finding them to be a fairly reasonable rear tyre. Fast rolling is nice and they provide predictable grip, you can break them loose controllably. Haven't had the bike long so I can't comment on longevity.

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire
If they've come with the bike, I would use them and then replace.
I have found the Rekon ok on most surfaces until it becomes sloppy and I get a lot of rear wheel slide and spinning.
If you can afford it (and you probably can having bought the LTD) you could save them as a Summer tyre and go for a more mud friendly winter option.

Obikaii

Jan 10, 2022
Devon
Thanks Rich,I'm leaning towards replacing them straight away,especially as I'm in the UK which is crap conditions this time of year,might chuck them back on in the summer.
How are you enjoying the Rise?

Obikaii

Jan 10, 2022
Devon
If they've come with the bike, I would use them and then replace.
I have found the Rekon ok on most surfaces until it becomes sloppy and I get a lot of rear wheel slide and spinning.
If you can afford it (and you probably can having bought the LTD) you could save them as a Summer tyre and go for a more mud friendly winter option.
Yeah,that's the way I was thinking, I've found a maxxis minion dhf online,can't find a magic Mary in the size & compound I want,& then run a hans damph on the rear,that'll do year round,but I'll run the reckons in the summer & see if they're up to the task.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Ride them. The much maligned Rekon is a way better tire than most people give it credit for. I've ridden them in almost every terrain and conditions, at bike parks, and even in an enduro race when I forgot to do a tire change the night before (that was a little scary, TBH). They're fine. Run them for a while and then get whatever you prefer. I swap them out with Forekasters when things get wet.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I've read a lot of negative reviews

Keep in mind that most reviewers are more about writing than riding.

I ran Rekons for a bit when I was looking to roll faster. They were fine, but I moved on to other things. No tire will ever roll as fast as you want, and all tires can be pushed so hard that they give up traction. If you find a tire to which this rule doesn't apply, please let me know.

If it was me, I'd just ride the Rekons, figure out what they do, and then decide for yourself what you like/dislike.

Obikaii

Jan 10, 2022
Devon
Yeah,I get that impression from a lot of online advice,it's a great resource, but also needs to be taken with a pinch of salt from time to time.
Thanks for the replies chaps,much appreciated, I've ordered the new tyres,but I'll ride the Rekons for a bit,see how I get on.
Probably be other things I'll want to change,but hopefully not much,already changed the fork to a Lyrik :rolleyes:

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
Thanks Rich,I'm leaning towards replacing them straight away,especially as I'm in the UK which is crap conditions this time of year,might chuck them back on in the summer.

The reasons I ended up getting a Rise are because a) my LBS owner ordered it and knew I was interested and b) three kids now, the youngest being 1 so I haven't got the time on my hands for longer rides.

My rise is a large M10 in blue/gold. The paint finish is nice, hopefully more durable than my Rallon. It is stock, if I had selected things I would have chosen 170mm dropper (got 150) and the DHF/DHR combo. I also would have Myo'd the colours. The weight with tubes and HT supreme pedals was 19kg. It is now tubeless with cushcore rear and rimpact front.

The initial ride experience was to first of all try it without assistance. It rides like a slightly heavy bike, but still pedals no worries. With the motor on it is a breeze up hills, but the delivery is subtle. Turn downhill and it feels like a regular bike, I find it really nimble. The factory suspension feels great, although the rebound on my float x seems to be a little too quick and doesn't seem to change enough with adjustment.

I, of course, forgot to change the profile on my first rides. Profile 2 is what I use with boost cranked up.

Since then I've done quite a range of rides, including several with people on regular bikes. On these rides I have mostly ridden without assistance. For anyone worrying about range anxiety, I'd suggest riding without assistance quite a bit to get familiar with the feeling you could get home on the red light using a mix of off and eco for quite a long distance.

I don't feel the need to change much on the M10. I'd consider a 160mm airshaft in the fork and I might go dissector front and back for a while as I'm enjoying the fast rolling. One thing I do want to do is change the region to US for the additional assistance speed. Lucky the bike pedals well, because I'm over 25km/h a lot. Particularly on my commute to work trails. It is roughly 14km each way, mix of singletrack, fire trails and some road. My commute has dropped from 35 minutes to 32 minutes. I'd hoped to shave more off, but I'm over the assistance limit for much of the ride and sometimes I get lazy and sit right on the cutoff.

The great thing about the Rise is you can also ride your regular bikes and not feel like you're missing the motor too much. The jump from FF feels far greater. But then again, of the FF bikes I have ridden, none of them feel great over the assistance limit. They can feel slow in some circumstances.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Buy a discounted DHF from CRC, stick the front tyre from the Rise on the rear, sell the Rekon on eBay. Mine went for more than CRC are selling the DHFs for right now

mascifm

Aug 23, 2021
Maine
I've got an M ltd as well. Rode the Rekon's for about a dozen rides and hated them...washing out on cornering mostly. Swapped to Minion DHF to compliment the DHR, which is how I have my Intense Tracer set up. Can't beat it, unless you're racing on dry, hardpack.

Obikaii

Jan 10, 2022
Devon
I've got an M ltd as well. Rode the Rekon's for about a dozen rides and hated them...washing out on cornering mostly. Swapped to Minion DHF to compliment the DHR, which is how I have my Intense Tracer set up. Can't beat it, unless you're racing on dry, hardpack.
Yeah,I'm hearing that a lot,definitely gonna swap them over.
Bike arrived today,new tyres should be here for the weekend,so I'll get them on for the first ride,after the anger inducing pantomime that is applying Invisiframe frame protection .

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
I would give them a go I still have my original tyres on my m team and although I haven’t ridden in real thick mud I haven’t found them a problem
I only use the bike for xc and fire roads many tho

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles