Official Rise LTD Recall for E*13 Carbon Cranks

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
"You have recently purchased an RISE M-LTD 20mph equipped with e*thirteen Race Carbon cranks.

Our suppliers, e*thirteen and Shimano, have informed us that they have identified a possible incompatibility issue between the e*thirteen Race Carbon cranks and the Shimano EP8 RS motor shaft that your bike is equipped with. This incompatibility can cause damage to the motor shaft, causing it to completely break in the worst-case scenario.

Given the uncertainty of when e*thirteen will be able to supply a crank that’s 100% compatible with this motor, we are contacting you about delivering a new set of top-of-the-range Shimano FC-EM900 cranks, the best available cranks on the market for this motor model. We want to ensure you have a reliable, high-quality product as soon as possible so that you can continue to enjoy your bike.

To obtain your cranks, we ask that you visit your official Orbea dealer and show them this email. Your dealer will take care of processing the request to Orbea and installing the new cranks on your Rise."​

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Just had the same email earlier today :)

Good to see there is an official solution (new cranks), even if they didn't manage to sort out the carbon cranks themselves.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Just had the same email earlier today :)

Good to see there is an official solution (new cranks), even if they didn't manage to sort out the carbon cranks themselves.

Ultimately I think the one bolt design on the carbon cranks wasn't getting it done, or perhaps a slight tolerance issue. I haven't had them come off or loosen up since I replaced the caps with metals ones and snugged everything/loctited everything to spec. But I honestly don't ride my Rise very much anymore so maybe I just didn't put enough miles on it. In any case, I'm going to swap the cranks out.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Yeah, this is the same notification that was sent to US customers last October.

I didn't get one in October (and I'm in the US). Just got it today. I think the October one may have been for the aluminum cranks?

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
I didn't get one in October (and I'm in the US). Just got it today. I think the October one may have been for the aluminum cranks?
@RickBullotta Yeah, you are probably right, I guess they notified those that got their M-TEAMs or M-LTDs delivered with e*13 alloys first, and then once that was complete moved on to those that had received their bikes with the e*13 carbons. Anyway, both sets of customers are getting the same Shimano cranks. Regarding your question on the other thread, the serial number on my bike was a barcode sticker on the bottom of the downtube just behind the head (above the CE certification sticker and the 'Made in Spain' sticker).

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
@RickBullotta Yeah, you are probably right, I guess they notified those that got their M-TEAMs or M-LTDs delivered with e*13 alloys first, and then once that was complete moved on to those that had received their bikes with the e*13 carbons. Anyway, both sets of customers are getting the same Shimano cranks. Regarding your question on the other thread, the serial number on my bike was a barcode sticker on the bottom of the downtube just behind the head (above the CE certification sticker and the 'Made in Spain' sticker).

interestingly my barcode sticker was on the rear of the bottom bracket area and I had to remove the rear wheel to get to it! Sounds like not a lot of consistency with Rise builds. Ha.

IronScott

Oct 19, 2021
NW Arkansas
The quick start guide shows three possible locations. (see attached)
1644080586805.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles