Alternative cranks - bent E*13 - are Shimano a straight swap?

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
RadWife bent her non-driveside crank on the second ride (!) which is not encouraging and we're going away for a week of riding next Saturday so not long to sort it out.

Is there anything specific about the E*13 cranks on the Rise or should Shimano be a straight swap? It's a medium size frame so needs to be XT spec to get the 165mm length (but I'm wondering if there are any other things to watch for)

jcismo1

Jul 22, 2021
Colorado
RadWife bent her non-driveside crank on the second ride (!) which is not encouraging and we're going away for a week of riding next Saturday so not long to sort it out.

Is there anything specific about the E*13 cranks on the Rise or should Shimano be a straight swap? It's a medium size frame so needs to be XT spec to get the 165mm length (but I'm wondering if there are any other things to watch for)
I don’t know if you ever got your question answered? Yes, the Shimano M8150 XT cranks do work. I went ahead and changed out the chainring to a Shimano 34T SM-CRE80-12-B also. I removed the chain guide. I don’t think it’s necessary. I put it through the paces, without any issue. Excuse the dirt, I need to give it a wash.
F40F094B-85F6-4A70-AC7E-329DA38B7646.jpeg

spxxky

Dec 11, 2021
Bolton
I don’t know if you ever got your question answered? Yes, the Shimano M8150 XT cranks do work. I went ahead and changed out the chainring to a Shimano 34T SM-CRE80-12-B also. I removed the chain guide. I don’t think it’s necessary. I put it through the paces, without any issue. Excuse the dirt, I need to give it a wash.
View attachment 73421
Hi, I've done the same as you, but wondering if there is an alternative chain guide? I figure there must be as Shimano devised this spider to work with a chainguide otherwise they wouldn't have provided the mounting points?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
There are several aftermarket chain guides for the Steps motors.

I have a Funn one but there are a few other options. I also tried the E13 One but it was garbage in terms of build quality IMO

jcismo1

Jul 22, 2021
Colorado
Hi, I've done the same as you, but wondering if there is an alternative chain guide? I figure there must be as Shimano devised this spider to work with a chainguide otherwise they wouldn't have provided the mounting points?
So far, so good without running a chain guide. I’ve been on some really crazy stuff too and no drops yet.

spxxky

Dec 11, 2021
Bolton
So far, so good without running a chain guide. I’ve been on some really crazy stuff too and no drops yet.
Hi, Thanks... seems a few have taken this route without problems. I'll see how it goes... I can always try the fit of the Nukeproof chainguide from CRC if needed as they have returns if it doesn't fit, but sounds unlikely I'll need to spend any more cash 👍

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I can’t recall if it’s the Shimano chainring guide or a third party one which comes with the Rise, but if it’s the Shimano one you will need to remove the cranks and slide which requires a special tool in order to remove it.

spxxky

Dec 11, 2021
Bolton
I can’t recall if it’s the Shimano chainring guide or a third party one which comes with the Rise, but if it’s the Shimano one you will need to remove the cranks and slide which requires a special tool in order to remove it.
This is the one that came on the Rise... This is the tool to remove the chain ring or spider lockring

IMG20211212134304.jpg

GTBusso

Dec 26, 2021
Hitchin
Very hard to find that tool for sale anywhere, I’ve got one coming next week from Amazon USA, ordered about a week ago.
I just swapped my cranks to 160mm Shimano FC EM900, they’re the same look as the cranks that shimano put out when they couldn’t get XTR to market quick enough. Nice and simple and although they haven’t got crank boots on, they’re 70g lighter than the E13 I took off.

hdqboss

Nov 4, 2021
Northeast Ohio, USA
Very hard to find that tool for sale anywhere, I’ve got one coming next week from Amazon USA, ordered about a week ago.
I just swapped my cranks to 160mm Shimano FC EM900, they’re the same look as the cranks that shimano put out when they couldn’t get XTR to market quick enough. Nice and simple and although they haven’t got crank boots on, they’re 70g lighter than the E13 I took off.
I found the tool but I can’t find the FC-EM900 cranks in the US.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles