Rail (750Wh) Max rear brake disc size?

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Are 220’s ok on the rear?
I can’t find anything in the spec that specifies max permissible rear brake disc size.?

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I can't find a Shimano 220 rotor......(need one for the front as well)

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
aren't they thicker than standard Shimano rotors?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I had magura 220mm on the front and rear. I’ve since changed the rear back to magura 203mm.

The magura rotors are slightly thicker than Shimano.

I changed to magura brakes when my Shimano brakes (r) heated and failed at the worst possible time. Front braking was my only option at that moment. Not fun.…it hurt.

Jag009

Sep 9, 2022
Loch lomond
sorry not 250 mm it was 246mm but close enough
1665418253555.png

jono878

Sep 17, 2022
bath
I had magura 220mm on the front and rear. I’ve since changed the rear back to magura 203mm.

I changed to magura brakes when my Shimano brakes (r) heated and failed at the worst possible time. Front braking was my only option at that moment. Not fun.…it hurt.
what brake mount adapter did you use for the rear 220m rotor?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
what brake mount adapter did you use for the rear 220m rotor?
The adapter for 220mm magura rotors were slightly larger/taller.
587B44D9-2AAE-4705-B7E8-A45F0AFEF57B.jpeg

NSB, or North Shore Billet 40mm , was the adapter I used f/r for the 220mm rotor. I eventually switched the rear rotor size back to magura 203mm, therefore the original adapters worked fine. No adapters are needed for 180mm rotors.

The Magura website should have the correct sizing or model # for the combination you need. I think it’s QM45. Maybe?

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Just a heads up. I broke a rear derailleur after fitting a bigger rotor. Went to replace it & found the mounting hole in the adaptor was a mm or so wider than the caliper bolt hole so the bolt would just go through on a very slight angle but be in contact with the inside of the mounting hole of the caliper. When tightened up it must have put tension on the caliper & broken the mount. I remember this issue at the time but didn't think anything of it & tightened it up.
This time I tried filing the caliper hole a bit so the bolt would move freer when tightening up if that makes sense.

apollon

Aug 19, 2022
Charlotte, NC

Which brakes and rotors did you have when this happened and how (speed etc) did it happen?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Which brakes and rotors did you have when this happened and how (speed etc) did it happen?
This incident was mostly my fault. Was a long and steep decent. I used the rear brakes way too much and I assume the rotor and calliper overheated and then failed. I only had front brakes for the remainder of the decent. A sudden 90* turn on gravel ( or bigish sharp rocks) was way above my skill level while using the front brake only. I met the gravel, then the edge, then a tree.
The rotor was warped and the calliper did not work properly. Shimano brakes and rotor were removed and replaced with Mt7’s. Learned a painful lesson but I can’t blame Shimano brakes.

apollon

Aug 19, 2022
Charlotte, NC
This incident was mostly my fault. Was a long and steep decent. I used the rear brakes way too much and I assume the rotor and calliper overheated and then failed. I only had front brakes for the remainder of the decent. A sudden 90* turn on gravel was way above my skill level while using the front brake only. I met the gravel, then the edge, then a tree.
The rotor was warped and the calliper did not work properly. Shimano brakes and rotor were removed and replaced with Mt7’s. Learned a painful lesson but I can’t blame Shimano brakes.
Wow, thanks for the reply. Would you mind sharing the exact brake and rotor models? I am about to change rotors to the Shimano MT905 180mm and want to be sure they are enough. I rarely do long descents. Thanks.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Wow, thanks for the reply. Would you mind sharing the exact brake and rotor models? I am about to change rotors to the Shimano MT905 180mm and want to be sure they are enough. I rarely do long descents. Thanks.
I don’t recall the calliper model but the rotors were 203mm Shimano F/R.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Several of us soon switched over to Mt7’s and 220mm rotors f/r. A few of us switched back to Magura 203mm on the rear. IMO the 220mm on the rear was overkill and fairly sensitive (rear tire dragged to easily). But all this depends on the type of riding for that particular bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles