Max dropper post size for Powerfly (18.5 ML)?

averian

Jul 18, 2019
Bay Area, CA
Since the Powerfly uses a curved seat tube, does anyone know the max insertion depth for a ML 18.5 frame size? It came with a 125mm dropper and I'd like to fit a 150mm or 160mm if possible. If someone already knows the max depth it would save a lot of hassle not needing to free up a bunch of cable slack to completely pull the current dropper and remove it to measure.

Last edited:

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Since the Powerfly uses a curved seat tube, does anyone know the max insertion depth for a ML 18.5 frame size? It came with a 125mm dropper and I'd like to fit a 150mm or 160mm if possible. If someone already knows the max depth it would save a lot of hassle not needing to free up a bunch of cable slack to completely pull the current dropper and remove it to measure.

It's probably easier to find the specs for length on the dropper you currently have and then compare that to the specs for Rockshox, Fox, OneUp etc. OneUps new posts have more drop and less insertion depth (overall length) than the previous versions.

Also, if you're quite tall, maybe 5-11 or taller then it may not matter which post you get because you'll need it out of the seat tube and not slammed like mine are. Only once you up around 170-210mm drop then you'll either need to be as tall as an NBL star or have a completely straight seat tube such as a Intense Carbine.

thewildblue

Feb 14, 2019
Bucks
I fitted the ascend X 150mm dropper into my 18.5 LT7. Brand-X Ascend 120mm & 150mm Dropper Seatpost | Chain Reaction Cycles

Its 480mm in length and fitted in there fine. Im 5'11" and found the 125mm too low, but the 150mm gave me far more than I needed and made a massive difference.

The only issue was, the first dropper lasted about 2 weeks and gained too much play. The 2nd one did about 5 months before the same play appeared. Wiggle did refund though which was amazing customer service.

Bontrager do a 150mm dropper.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I fitted the ascend X 150mm dropper into my 18.5 LT7. Brand-X Ascend 120mm & 150mm Dropper Seatpost | Chain Reaction Cycles

Its 480mm in length and fitted in there fine. Im 5'11" and found the 125mm too low, but the 150mm gave me far more than I needed and made a massive difference.

The only issue was, the first dropper lasted about 2 weeks and gained too much play. The 2nd one did about 5 months before the same play appeared. Wiggle did refund though which was amazing customer service.

Bontrager do a 150mm dropper.

480mm is big for a 150mm dropper!

Fox Transfer 150mm is 457mm long
Rockshox Reverb 150mm is 414mm long
OneUp 150mm is 420mm long

Unless you're quite tall with long legs I'm pretty sure a 480 won't fit in a medium frame with a bend or shock pivot in the seat tube.

thewildblue

Feb 14, 2019
Bucks
480mm is big for a 150mm dropper!

Fox Transfer 150mm is 457mm long
Rockshox Reverb 150mm is 414mm long
OneUp 150mm is 420mm long

Unless you're quite tall with long legs I'm pretty sure a 480 won't fit in a medium frame with a bend or shock pivot in the seat tube.

The ascendX is quite large but its cheaper than the others listed. However I'm pretty sure the 480mm (total length as advertised) DOES fit in a ML 18.5" Powerfly frame. Do you know how I'm sure...because as stated in my post above, that's exactly what I have..... ;-)

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
The ascendX is quite large but its cheaper than the others listed. However I'm pretty sure the 480mm (total length as advertised) DOES fit in a ML 18.5" Powerfly frame. Do you know how I'm sure...because as stated in my post above, that's exactly what I have..... ;-)

Well then you could've got a OneUp V2 180mm dropper to fit as they're 480mm long.

averian

Jul 18, 2019
Bay Area, CA
No wasnt competely slammed, but if it was it wouldnt have been high enough when extended if that makes sense.
That definitely makes sense since you're 5'11". Any chance you can test it all the way in just to see if it clears? I am 5'9" so I need to run it lower if not lowest...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles