Marin Alpine Trail E1/2 thread

pablojponcer

Jul 17, 2023
Ecuador
Hi all - I am new here, being riding my E1 for 2 years now, and it is awesome but lacks juice! I don't want to. change it, but I am interested in knowing if the new 630 battery the 2023 model fits my 2021 model. Looking forward for your answers or any recommendations!

iadmtb

Jan 23, 2023
Thousand Oaks, CA
Hello everyone. I'm looking at getting a 2023 E2 and wanted to get your general thoughts on it. Bikeconnection and govvelo have pretty damn good deals going on right now. Bikeconnection is offering it at $5299, no tax with $100 shipping. Govvelo, if you're a military or government employee, is offering it at $5211, no tax and free shipping.

I know the 2022 model came with the EP800 motor so I'm focused on getting the 2023 model. Anyone have issues with the motor? How's the battery range? I know the range is dependent on terrain. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Fielonator

Aug 11, 2023
South East England
Hi folks. First post on here, just got my E2 last week. Only 2 rides so far but loving it.

Can anyone help me with bottle and cage ideas on a Small frame? I've skimmed through most of this thread and nobody seems to ride a small. I've emailed the guys that make that 3d printed shim to see what they say, hopefully someone has a proven solution.

Cheers.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
Hi folks. First post on here, just got my E2 last week. Only 2 rides so far but loving it.

Can anyone help me with bottle and cage ideas on a Small frame? I've skimmed through most of this thread and nobody seems to ride a small. I've emailed the guys that make that 3d printed shim to see what they say, hopefully someone has a proven solution.

Cheers.
Fairly sure the lad at Cycle Solutions will sort you out. I've got the 3D printed adaptor on mine (a medium) and there is loads of wriggle room.

Fielonator

Aug 11, 2023
South East England
Fairly sure the lad at Cycle Solutions will sort you out. I've got the 3D printed adaptor on mine (a medium) and there is loads of wriggle room.

Cheers. What brand of bottle and cage are you using? I've offered up a couple of my bottles, a 650ml and a 500ml and there's almost no room at all.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Cheers. What brand of bottle and cage are you using? I've offered up a couple of my bottles, a 650ml and a 500ml and there's almost no room at all.
A specialized side loading cage and a Camelback podium 650ml bottle 👍
I did file down the inner lip on the spesh bottle cage to make a better fit but as it is only plastic was a 2 minute job. I know it looks tight but there is loads of adjustment on the slots where the cage is bolted on, I have it as high as it will go to make sure it clears the shock, I could have it a bit lower than it is if I wanted.

IMG20230323111637.jpg IMG20230323111624.jpg

Fielonator

Aug 11, 2023
South East England
A specialized side loading cage and a Camelback podium 650ml bottle 👍
I did file down the inner lip on the spesh bottle cage to make a better fit but as it is only plastic was a 2 minute job. I know it looks tight but there is loads of adjustment on the slots where the cage is bolted on, I have it as high as it will go to make sure it clears the shock, I could have it a bit lower than it is if I wanted.

View attachment 122478 View attachment 122479
Cool, cheers. What size frame?

iadmtb

Jan 23, 2023
Thousand Oaks, CA
Hello all. I just received my E2 earlier this week. I'm looking to install my carbon wheels that uses 6 bolt rotors. What type of magnet/sensor can I use on the rotor to make sure it triggers the speed sensor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fielonator

Aug 11, 2023
South East England
Howdy. I've given up on the bottle, there just isn't enough space in a small frame. Got a good deal on a low-rider camelbak so I'll be going back to that for long days out.

I've got a techy question I hope someone will be able to help with. Is there a way to tune the assist to taper off more gradually (with the ep801) when you get to the speed limit? It's a really annoying sensation of surging. It feels a bit like going over lots of small rollers, with my weight being pushed forward as the motor cuts out. It's only when seated pedalling on the flat.

My only remedy so far is to ride in a lower assist level and either stay within the limit (16mph which is rediculous) or push harder so I'm above the cutout speed. Neither are great options.

Scottro7

Mar 27, 2023
United States
Howdy. I've given up on the bottle, there just isn't enough space in a small frame. Got a good deal on a low-rider camelbak so I'll be going back to that for long days out.

I've got a techy question I hope someone will be able to help with. Is there a way to tune the assist to taper off more gradually (with the ep801) when you get to the speed limit? It's a really annoying sensation of surging. It feels a bit like going over lots of small rollers, with my weight being pushed forward as the motor cuts out. It's only when seated pedalling on the flat.

My only remedy so far is to ride in a lower assist level and either stay within the limit (16mph which is rediculous) or push harder so I'm above the cutout speed. Neither are great options.
I have a large frame E2 and use the Fidlock wiht small bottle. It has never came off even with very rowdy riding.

Scottro7

Mar 27, 2023
United States
Hello all. I just received my E2 earlier this week. I'm looking to install my carbon wheels that uses 6 bolt rotors. What type of magnet/sensor can I use on the rotor to make sure it triggers the speed sensor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I switched to I9 wheels and ended up using the "Jagwire Pro LR2 Disc Brake Rotor - 203mm, 6-Bolt, Silver/Black". Liked it so much I got a Jagwire front disk to!

Cleggy

Aug 11, 2023
Northern Ireland
Talk to me about rear coil spring rate. I slapped my deposit down on a medium E2 which comes with a 350lb spring and being a chocoholic I've asked for it to be changed out to a 400lb spring.

Any of you guys/gals want to divulge your weight and spring weight of choice?

Scottro7

Mar 27, 2023
United States
Talk to me about rear coil spring rate. I slapped my deposit down on a medium E2 which comes with a 350lb spring and being a chocoholic I've asked for it to be changed out to a 400lb spring.

I have the large e2 with stock 450# spring. I am 84 kg bare. This setup works very well for me.

iadmtb

Jan 23, 2023
Thousand Oaks, CA

I weigh 160lbs. The 350lb spring was too light. I installed a DVO Prorate LS spring, 425-500x65. It’s perfect.

iadmtb

Jan 23, 2023
Thousand Oaks, CA
I think 400 might be a bit too light for you. Make sure you check the sag. I run a 450 lb on my Rockshox Deluxe Super Ultimate, on my Turbo Levo and I’m right at 28 -30% sag.

I always thought Marin put too light of a spring on the E2. The prorate spring I purchased for the DHX2 feels perfect on the E2 and covers a wide range of rider weights.

Cleggy

Aug 11, 2023
Northern Ireland
I think 400 might be a bit too light for you. Make sure you check the sag. I run a 450 lb on my Rockshox Deluxe Super Ultimate, on my Turbo Levo and I’m right at 28 -30% sag.

I always thought Marin put too light of a spring on the E2. The prorate spring I purchased for the DHX2 feels perfect on the E2 and covers a wide range of rider weights.

I too think it might be too light, however the Fox setup guide suggests not. Then again you guys are the ones who own and have ridden it. I'll find out soon enough

Fielonator

Aug 11, 2023
South East England

Mine came with a 350lb spring. I rode it half a dozen times and changed it for a 400lb. The lighter one was alright, but I had quite a lot of damping to keep it from wallowing, the heavier spring feels better without much damping. Bit poppier, and more comfy when I over jump stuff. I've done a lot of that since having a motor.

Fielonator

Aug 11, 2023
South East England
Over-jumping... Would you say that's down to the weight of the bike, or because the bike helps you carry more speed?
I'm going faster, and jumping better. It's definitely the bike making the difference, whether that's the weight, motor support, better suspension, who knows. I'm over the speed limit most of the time going downhill so I don't think it's only the motor making the difference, more likely the weight and stability in the air. It's a fun problem.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Sounds like I might still be a little under-sprung then, I'll see after a few rides on it. Mind you I'm not that fast so 400 might be ok for now
95kg kitted up and 450lb here on a medium E2. Feels perfect to me, hit the rough stuff on it and it is fine, never feel I'm bottoming out. the Marin is a very progressive geom, hence why it seems you use a lighter spring - on another bike I'd be a 500 - deffo.

Cleggy

Aug 11, 2023
Northern Ireland
OK I am now beyond giddy, bike has landed at the bike shop and been PDI'ed, just waiting on the beefier spring arriving, should be collecting it Saturday morning fingers crossed

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles