Levo Gen 2 Major crash head on

johnscioscia

Sep 14, 2020
Tampa
I crashed head on my 2021 turbo levo expert going 20 mph into a concrete bar beam I didn't even see until it was too late. I could have been killed. 2 Miracles, 1 that I'm going to be o.k. with no permanent injuries most likely and 2 The bike is without a scratch or slightest damage other then the seatpost. Look at the triple clamp 2 screws . That is the point of impact. You can see the concrete from the bar I'm mpact covering the screws. Broken wrist/forearm, and bruising completely covering my entire pelvic region down to my upper thighs from apparently the seat impact or handlebars I'm not sure but look at that seat post!!

PXL_20210105_164015004.jpg

PXL_20210105_164002596.jpg

PXL_20210105_161028497.jpg

111511.jpeg

111510.jpeg

PXL_20210104_143304487.jpg

PXL_20210104_171923441.jpg

Last edited:

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
The bike is without a scratch or slightest damage
Sorry to be that guy - but that's a carbon frame, yeah?

If it is, please don't assume that the bike is in the clear, because it really isn't - a hit like that is almost certainly going to compromise the integrity of the frame.

Get it checked out.

On the bright side, I can confirm that chicks dig scars, so...

Last edited:

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Ouch! That beam blends in to the background, as it’s the same colour as the road/ sidewalk. Surely they should have put some kind of markings on it?

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
*puts down cornflakes* :sick:

You must have been riding with your eyes closed haha...
Did you get a whack in the chops by one of those fish too (bass to mouth)??

All the best for a speedy recovery!
That will have put alot of stress through the headtube and seattube, I'd strip the bike down and give it a good check over, not always easy with a carbon frame but if you find your headset cups come out really easily it could have opened up a bit.

johnscioscia

Sep 14, 2020
Tampa
Thanks my friend. Point taken
Sorry to be that guy - but that's a carbon frame, yeah?

If it is, please don't assume that the bike is in the clear, because it really isn't - a hit like that is almost certainly going to compromise the integrity of the frame.

Get it checked out.

On the bright side, I can confirm that chicks dig scars, so...
Thank you for that tip I was thinking the same thing and I will surely do that!!

Captain45

Oct 1, 2019
Usa
My Lord. How is the seat post bent forward? Id imagine it would be bent backwards! Man Good thing you werent hurt worse. Curious, were you trying to duck under the hanging fish or what was the goal there?

johnscioscia

Sep 14, 2020
Tampa
My Lord. How is the seat post bent forward? Id imagine it would be bent backwards! Man Good thing you werent hurt worse. Curious, were you trying to duck under the hanging fish or what was the goal there?
I didn't see the fish till the last minute so yeah I tried to duck but when I looked down there was the concrete bar. between sunglasses and the bright sun it just looked like a little hutch to me that had nothing but air in the middle of it.

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
*puts down cornflakes* :sick:

You must have been riding with your eyes closed haha...
Did you get a whack in the chops by one of those fish too (bass to mouth)??

All the best for a speedy recovery!
That will have put alot of stress through the headtube and seattube, I'd strip the bike down and give it a good check over, not always easy with a carbon frame but if you find your headset cups come out really easily it could have opened up a bit.
My first thought was how easily that concrete bar blends into the background,

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That was tough! You were extremely lucky to survive as well as you did. Healing vibes to you!

My wife broke the same bone in her wrist and had the same titanium metalwork bolted into her wrist. She had a cast, then an aluminium and fabric wrist support for about 6 weeks in total. At my insistence she paid for a private Physiotherapist at the first opportunity. It was 2 weeks later that she discovered that the insert was preventing full articulation of the wrist (fingers backwards towards the wrist). The surgeon offered to remove the insert, but she decided she didn't want to go through all that again. In total it was about four months before her wrist felt normal. But she is a complete wuss when it comes to pain, so your experience may be a lot shorter. But the physio was extremely helpful, start it asap.

Later Edit: I have shortened the times after consulting my wife. My excuse is that it sure felt longer to me!

Last edited:

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
That was tough! You were extremely lucky to survive as well as you did. Healing vibes to you!

My wife broke the same bone in her wrist and had the same titanium metalwork bolted into her wrist. She had a cast, then an aluminium and fabric wrist support for about 8 weeks in total. At my insistence she paid for a private Physiotherapist at the first opportunity. It was 6 weeks later that she discovered that the insert was preventing full articulation of the wrist (fingers backwards towards the wrist). The surgeon offered to remove the insert, but she decided she didn't want to go through all that again. In total it was about six months before her wrist felt normal. But she is a complete wuss when it comes to pain, so your experience may be a lot shorter. But the physio was extremely helpful, start it asap.
Physio is when the hard work starts with regard to recovery, do every thing they recommend you do, there are no short cuts I’m afraid but all the effort will be worth it in the long run

Kent

Nov 28, 2020
Israel
I crashed head on my 2021 turbo levo expert going 20 mph into a concrete bar beam I didn't even see until it was too late. I could have been killed. 2 Miracles, 1 that I'm going to be o.k. with no permanent injuries most likely and 2 The bike is without a scratch or slightest damage other then the seatpost. Look at the triple clamp 2 screws . That is the point of impact. You can see the concrete from the bar I'm mpact covering the screws. Broken wrist/forearm, and bruising completely covering my entire pelvic region down to my upper thighs from apparently the seat impact or handlebars I'm not sure but look at that seat post!!

View attachment 49894

View attachment 49895

View attachment 49896

View attachment 49897

View attachment 49898

View attachment 49899

View attachment 49900
Wish you a quick recovery, and as far as it may be seen now, you are going to hit the trails in a couple of months ??

ilsonmd12

Sep 4, 2019
Uk
Looks like a crack or big scratch on the top tube near the levo sticker. Might be worth getting the bike checked over. Hope the recovery goes well.

johnscioscia

Sep 14, 2020
Tampa
Looks like a crack or big scratch on the top tube near the levo sticker. Might be worth getting the bike checked over. Hope the recovery goes well.
yeah I just looked I'm not sure what you're seeing but I'm certainly going to have the bike checked out unless your eyes so damn good you can see the line where my invisihield aka bike wrap.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand

View attachment 49894

View attachment 49895

View attachment 49896

View attachment 49897

View attachment 49898

View attachment 49899

View attachment 49900
I understand exactly how you feel!
Coming up 75, I consider myself a bit of an expert with MTB 'offs'. Nothing as serious as yours though. Should be a lesson for us all..
Many years ago, a work colleague who was a fitness fanatic, ran into the back of a stationary school bus while out training on her road bike. The school bus had overtaken her then pulled in to the side of the road to drop off a passenger. My colleague was head down and didnt see or hear the bus stop. End result was she has never walked since. You are a lucky man.

johnscioscia

Sep 14, 2020
Tampa
I understand exactly how you feel!
Coming up 75, I consider myself a bit of an expert with MTB 'offs'. Nothing as serious as yours though. Should be a lesson for us all..
Many years ago, a work colleague who was a fitness fanatic, ran into the back of a stationary school bus while out training on her road bike. The school bus had overtaken her then pulled in to the side of the road to drop off a passenger. My colleague was head down and didnt see or hear the bus stop. End result was she has never walked since. You are a lucky man.
You're right my friend I am lucky man I thanks for sharing feel so badly for your friend, that's beyond heartbreaking

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles