Major Lack of Power on Kenevo after new Firmware Update

ovenproofelk65

Aug 19, 2018
Whistler, BC
About 4 weeks ago the belt in the Brose motor on my 2018 Kenevo died (could hear teeth shredding inside the motor) so I got a new motor installed on warranty along with the latest firmware (as of end of May). Despite putting all my settings back to where I like to have them in the Specialized app, my motor power felt like it was maybe 60% of what it was before. So, I took it back to the shop and the technician took it for a ride and said that he felt the same lack of power. So, he dropped another new motor in it with the fresh firmware once again. I went back out on my normal trails and it still feels really sluggish. Eco mode at around 20-25% power and 100% peak feels useless, Trail mode which I like at 50-60% power and 100% peak felt pretty bad and Turbo is set at 100% power and 100% peak and it feels like 60% of what it normally is. Honestly, to have any decent level of assist I feel like I have to ride in Turbo all the time. Anyone having this same problem?...

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
About 4 weeks ago the belt in the Brose motor on my 2018 Kenevo died (could hear teeth shredding inside the motor) so I got a new motor installed on warranty along with the latest firmware (as of end of May). Despite putting all my settings back to where I like to have them in the Specialized app, my motor power felt like it was maybe 60% of what it was before. So, I took it back to the shop and the technician took it for a ride and said that he felt the same lack of power. So, he dropped another new motor in it with the fresh firmware once again. I went back out on my normal trails and it still feels really sluggish. Eco mode at around 20-25% power and 100% peak feels useless, Trail mode which I like at 50-60% power and 100% peak felt pretty bad and Turbo is set at 100% power and 100% peak and it feels like 60% of what it normally is. Honestly, to have any decent level of assist I feel like I have to ride in Turbo all the time. Anyone having this same problem?...

I feel sorry for you. I guess best chance for support here would be if you add screenshots of MC or BLEvo which shows your current firmware version of the motor and battery.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark

There is an issue with some of the motor firmware upgrades where it restores it to the Brose firmware and not the Specialized one. Open MC and take the bike for a short ride in turbo/fully charged and at the same time monitor the amps drawn by the motor. If your motor have the issue you will not see more than 15 amps as supposed to 20 amps if it has full power. If it is that issue your LBS need to re-flash the motor firmware yet again.

Karsten

ovenproofelk65

Aug 19, 2018
Whistler, BC
There is an issue with some of the motor firmware upgrades where it restores it to the Brose firmware and not the Specialized one. Open MC and take the bike for a short ride in turbo/fully charged and at the same time monitor the amps drawn by the motor. If your motor have the issue you will not see more than 15 amps as supposed to 20 amps if it has full power. If it is that issue your LBS need to re-flash the motor firmware yet again.

Karsten
Thanks Karsten - I'll do that!

Troutwrestler

Dec 25, 2018
Scotland
I know. But as I understand it, the default setting from Brose is 15A, with Specialized being the exception at 20A. I'm pretty sure Specialized will have requested this of Brose, and they will have agreed in the understanding that the service life of the unit will be compromised to a degree.

IIRC, the motor can handle even higher currents and put our more power, but the limiting factor is what the belt can handle. It is a sliding scale, where more power has a correspondingly shorter life of the belt.

How the bike is ridden is also a massive factor. A non-Specialized Brose equipped bike ridden at max (15A) all the time will fair worse than a Specialized Brose bike run in Eco (7A) all the time, but the potential to shorten the belt life is there with a 20A ceiling.

ovenproofelk65

Aug 19, 2018
Whistler, BC
I know. But as I understand it, the default setting from Brose is 15A, with Specialized being the exception at 20A. I'm pretty sure Specialized will have requested this of Brose, and they will have agreed in the understanding that the service life of the unit will be compromised to a degree.

IIRC, the motor can handle even higher currents and put our more power, but the limiting factor is what the belt can handle. It is a sliding scale, where more power has a correspondingly shorter life of the belt.

How the bike is ridden is also a massive factor. A non-Specialized Brose equipped bike ridden at max (15A) all the time will fair worse than a Specialized Brose bike run in Eco (7A) all the time, but the potential to shorten the belt life is there with a 20A ceiling.
You’re probably right about the shorter belt life. I ride very demanding terrain here in Whistler so I’m certainly not easy on my bikes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles