Madura MT7 Brakes - what the hell

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
My 1st time owning these brakes and I really like them still to early for a review. Any way turned bike over yesterday to install bash guard and this happened. If these brakes are that soft may have to revert back to type, I would not mind if I had a crash.

962422CD-19ED-4EDB-B862-7817DDE55E52.jpeg

CF1BB68D-B2F9-4BC0-B166-47209709B886.jpeg

5F7C6461-6BD0-44B3-92AC-27CDFCAD48BC.jpeg

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
Great calipers, dogturd levers. When they break/leak chop them off and fit some Shimano levers instead.
Almost everyone I discussed with today said the same including my LBS the shimano levers seem quite cost effective as well so may go for XTR.
Either a faulty lever or user error. I cannot imagine how you would do this. Did you throw it on the ground to turn it over? How would the levers even touch the ground? :unsure:
I use a cushion when I need to turn the bike over which Is rare so not sure how it was damaged although LBS believe lever has failed.

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
It's unreasonable to expect your brake levers to withstand the weight of your bike.
Consider yourself lucky that it was the lever blade that broke, and not the body.
May as well broke the body as being replaced with Shimano apparently it's a recommended upgrade for Magura apparently is called Sagura.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I snapped a tip off a lever in a crash bit impressed how you did that turning bike upside down! You can upgrade to ally levers

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
My levers are alloy on my mt5s and are standard.
I fitted a xt servo master cylinder to the front as the plastic striped out of the Magura one in a crash.

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
I have decided to stick with Magura for know as just got an awesome deal on HC 1 Levers literally 2 for the price of 1 including delivery. I do think I will still do the Shimano upgrade but think this offer was too good to past up.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Almost everyone I discussed with today said the same including my LBS the shimano levers seem quite cost effective as well so may go for XTR.

I use a cushion when I need to turn the bike over which Is rare so not sure how it was damaged although LBS believe lever has failed.
I run a Shigura set-up with Shimano Saint Brake Levers and Magura MT7 calipers on all my emtbs. Awesome modulation and incredible stopping power! Magura MT5 & MT7 calipers are compatible with any Shimano mtb lever. Since the inner diameter of the Magura brake line is bigger then the i.d of the Shimano, recommend using the Magura olive and barb. Will need to use the Magura Royal Blood brake fluid as well. Have tried various Shirgura set-ups based upon feedback from my mechanic and can provide more insight if anyone likes.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I have decided to stick with Magura for know as just got an awesome deal on HC 1 Levers literally 2 for the price of 1 including delivery. I do think I will still do the Shimano upgrade but think this offer was too good to past up.
Please share the love? where from?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Maybe I haven’t read every post in here but, my brake lever and master cylinder body rotates on the bar with a bit of pressure. This setup doesn’t eliminate every possible lever breakage, but it has helped me several times during a crash. After a crash or accidental drop, I simply rotate the brake body and lever to the original position. (Takes 2 seconds and one hand). A hard impact generally rotates the brake lever body and prevents any damage to the lever, master cylinder or bar clamp.
D696763A-CD40-46CC-A8CC-FBC3A9A56A28.jpeg

normal position.
24B77F74-B874-49D7-A3D5-410B18B66A40.jpeg

rotated by hand.
C00B8143-059B-4181-9342-7CFDE606B762.jpeg

I usually tighten the upper screw to close the clamp gap…then carefully tighten the lower screw to allow the brake body to rotate on the bar. I’m not sure who showed me this tip…but it works.
I didn’t do this on my XTR’s a few years ago and snapped the brake lever.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I usually tighten the upper screw to close the clamp gap…then carefully tighten the lower screw to allow the brake body to rotate on the bar. I’m not sure who showed me this tip…but it works.

I was looking closely at your pictures to see if you did this. I couldn't remember if you're supposed to close the gap at the top or bottom, though. The instructions from Magura are very specific about this. Since the body is plastic and the screws look like something you'd use to attach sheetrock to studs, I do it exactly as the instructions indicate.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles