Hope rotors and Magura MT7’s

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Even the 1.8mm thickness ones mate? (Standard floating rotors)

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Hmmm, everywhere says 1.8mm is minimum thickness for Magura (below 1.8 is a worn disc for their callipers).

Might just opt for these rotors if I do go the Magura route.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
For those of us riding these trails we all switch over to 220mm MDR-p magura rotors (6 bikes). Some of us, including myself, switched to MDR-p 203mm on the rear. 220mm on the rear was not necessary mostly because of my weight (165lbs). We all kept 220mm on the front. (Btw, Santa Cruz, cube, and 4 Rails). I think a heavier rider might want 220mm rotors on the front and rear.

Heat dissipation and longevity is key. Magura claims that the MDR-p is also lighter. On one of the MDR-p rotor there was a ringing or tambourine sound when riding over rough terrain. Clearly the rivots were too loose on the floating rotor. Returned that one. Problem solved. No one has had a warping issue with the thicker rotor and they seem to last longer.

I suppose I’m a magura fan-boy…but they are very good brakes.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I don’t want the MDR-P rotors. Too noisy. (Had them before and they float too much and bobbins make a horrible noise).

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
You can get the MDR-C rotors one piece rotor, have on the rear of my Rise in 203 & 220 MDR-P on front

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Hope has an e-bike specific rotor, it’s a one piece HD rotor that’s 2.3mm thick. It’s what I’m currently using on my Levo Pro, they’ve been great.

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
I’ve just fitted some mt7 brakes and used the TRP 2.3mm thick rotors for half the price of similar rotors. Got a pair of 203mm rotors for £50 posted when they were in stock a couple of weeks ago.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
First class and work’s spectacular with the 7’s.

469296DF-2B69-4567-86BD-9DBB544111AF.jpeg

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I think I'm going to stick with the XT's for now. reading loads of reviews and I cant find anything to convince me I should change them. Maybe after I have done a few longer descents I will have a better idea of how they compare to the Hope Tech 3 E4's I have been using on all previous bikes (which in my opinion lacked ultimate power but had loads of modulation). My only gripe with the XT's is the on/off nature on dry loose or sloppy surfaces.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I think I'm going to stick with the XT's for now. reading loads of reviews and I cant find anything to convince me I should change them. Maybe after I have done a few longer descents I will have a better idea of how they compare to the Hope Tech 3 E4's I have been using on all previous bikes (which in my opinion lacked ultimate power but had loads of modulation). My only gripe with the XT's is the on/off nature on dry loose or sloppy surfaces.
The XTs are good brakes, I have them on one of my Amish bikes. I would do a rotor upgrade and call it good.

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
I’ve just fitted some mt7 brakes and used the TRP 2.3mm thick rotors for half the price of similar rotors. Got a pair of 203mm rotors for £50 posted when they were in stock a couple of weeks ago.
I’m running these too. They work great, the thicker rotor improves lever feel with a slightly earlier bite on my mt5s.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles