SZZS specific CEF50-main thread (initial builds and troubleshooting related only)

temon10

Feb 8, 2022
Malang, Indonesia
Can u send real time pic of the DP-181 please?Just curious...😁
WhatsApp Image 2023-01-13 at 11.24.21.jpeg

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Is the blue light the assist level? How many assist levels can be programed?
Thanks
more pictures of your bike ?:)

brbr

Dec 28, 2022
France
Interesting to see that the cef50 is given at 2.4kg whereas the lightcarbon is at 3.0kg and it fits only the small battery, there’s something wrong here :D

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
News from Lightcarbon:

Post in thread 'What's the consensus best DIY frame right now?'
What's the consensus best DIY frame right now?
The LC lightweight looks nice. Glad they went 150mm rear...they were strongly considering on 130mm last summer...good upgrade. 💪

I like the CEF50 's 720Wh battery idea better. Bonus, the optional top tube hole for extra mounting options like the cell phone holder or "ash tray"!😁

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
What an interesting thread.

I've been pretty all in on the Relay but the lack of a frame only option is, limiting imo.

Am I seeing correctly that I can buy the frame, motor, battery, controller & cranks all for sub $2K?!

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
The LC lightweight looks nice. Glad they went 150mm rear...they were strongly considering on 130mm last summer...good upgrade. 💪

I like the CEF50 's 720Wh battery idea better. Bonus, the optional top tube hole for extra mounting options like the cell phone holder or "ash tray"!😁
Same here. If the CEF50 weight is true, its the way better option to spend the saved 600g for additional Wh! 😊

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
What an interesting thread.

I've been pretty all in on the Relay but the lack of a frame only option is, limiting imo.

Am I seeing correctly that I can buy the frame, motor, battery, controller & cranks all for sub $2K?!
Plus, the M820 puts out more torque 75Nm max/95Nmpeak short burst. The Relay60 looks awesome, big Enduro travel. And I want the trailside swappable battery and stealthier profile...

But CEF's power and bigger battery sealed the deal for me on a very tight budget.🍻

brbr

Dec 28, 2022
France
Plus, the M820 puts out more torque 75Nm max/95Nmpeak short burst. The Relay60 looks awesome, big Enduro travel. And I want the trailside swappable battery and stealthier profile...

But CEF's power and bigger battery sealed the deal for me on a very tight budget.🍻
It seems the lightcarbon allows the external battery option in the bottle cage!

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
🤞. Plus the top tube cutout will save some extra grams.😉 At least until I patch it up before painting it...😄
Potential Bafang 410Wh battery concern for me. I don't know if it translates to the Bafang 410 (BT-F014battery). However, one unpleasant battery issue about Bafang on my full-powered LCES04 M60043v motor kit. Luv the frame and mid-voltage motor, very smooth shifting, still plenty of turbo power. but hate the both 450/600 BT-F03/BTF-04 Wh batteries. The reserve cut off (to below) Eco mode is a whopping conservative 28%. Seems to be the case for using Bafang batteries with the M500/600 across the board...just an inherent flaw unfortunately.

In contrast, my DengFu M620 06 fat bike's two, in-house 600 Wh batteries that both goes into reserve at 7-8% eco mode to almost complete. it's a Bafang BMS issue to save battery health on Bafang 's part...but I probably get only 70-75% of a fully charge, new battery for both 450s and the bigger 600s.😜 So, it's not fixable unless the BMS firmware is altered...good luck to me!🤯

My solution was to build a 21700 cell 970 Wh battery (currently under DIY construction) for the LCES04. 💪

So the potential dilemma for the Bafang 410Wh may have a similar concern...just speculating if it transfers over to the M820/410 motor kit in general?

Some ride reviews on the M820 system are still forthcoming of course...but once I knew the 720Wh was a CEF50 in-house battery-build, I figured it wouldn't likely be an issue. Just my expectations, experience, and thoughts. If so, don't hate the messenger...I'm a Bafanger too! 🍻

Screenshot_20230113-104206.png

Last edited:

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
I am the opposite camp. I want a trail bike as light as possible. So I want the small battery. I canget a heavy bike with a large battery from anyone. The promise of the M820 is a 40lb bike. The lightcarbon render looks really nice to me.

Last edited:

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I am the opposite camp. I want a trail bike as light as possible. So I want the small battery. I canget a heavy bike with a large battery from anyone. The promise of the M820 is a 40lb bike.
But I'll take a 42/43 lber with a big battery. Still lighter by 10lbs +/- then my full-powered. Sure less turbo power, but the CEF50 will be lighter with a little more stealth if that's your fancy...like mine!💪

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
I have an Orbea rise H30 with a 540wh battery and I never run out of juice. So the small battery is perfect for me. The three lbs less for a trail rider is important. Lightcarbon LCE930 render
LightCarbon_LCE390.jpg

Last edited:

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I have an Orbea rise H30 with a 540wh battery and I never run out of juice. So the small battery is perfect for me. The three lbs less for a trail rider is important.
Nice price! 540Wh battery on AL frame is nice! How's turbo feel on the Shimano RS?

Yeah, I hear ya! 3 lbs gets you much closer to an Enduro-travel analog (36-38 lbs) ...so the CEF50 410Wh, if under 40lbs, should be appreciably proximal to an analogue as a nimble, poppy, fun beast. 🤙

Plus, see earlier threads on a potential DIY bottle battery extender for any epic trips that you might decide to take.

Screenshot_20230113-120147.png

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
I am 250lbs and the Rise has no problem getting me up steep sections. I am not an enduro rider so I don't have to shuttle up long dirt roads. But for trail riding, and the Rise is designed as a trail bike, I am very happy. Mine is down to 43lbs but I want a lighter bike for my wife.
Screenshot at 2023-01-13 12-19-49.png

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I am 250lbs and the Rise has no problem getting me up steep sections. I am not an enduro rider so I don't have to shuttle up long dirt roads. But for trail riding, and the Rise is designed as a trail bike, I am very happy. Mine is down to 43lbs but I want a lighter bike for my wife.
View attachment 104550
Sweet! Go fellow Clyde.🤙

I'm 275lb. Enduro-trail or "trail-duro for me". Just smaller, hops, pops, an drops for me! No big gappers either😁...I'm a wuss and want my full teeth-set and clavicle in tact as I age...thus the extra pluuuuush-travel fitment 180f/160r CEF50 build.🍻

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin

I guess that's just a rendering.

Based on that it looks a little nicer and slimmer, but there is no XL version.

The weight difference listed is enough to matter but unfortunately, we won't know until we get some real customer weights.

Last edited:

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Re: CEF50 frame, do these use standard headsets so that a different (-1) headset can be used?

Can you mount a bit longer overall length of a shock on this frame?

The gist of it is that I prefer a very steep sta in the 78' range, a pretty slack hta around 64'. Not only do these numbers actually work well but they give a proper fit that is proper both when sitting (short ETT) and when standing (long Reach).

I also am totally fine with a bit taller BB in that 14"/350mm range so just wondering if I can simply run a bit longer shock overall, add a -1 headset cup, and rock out.

Thanks.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Re: CEF50 frame, do these use standard headsets so that a different (-1) headset can be used?

Can you mount a bit longer overall length of a shock on this frame?

The gist of it is that I prefer a very steep sta in the 78' range, a pretty slack hta around 64'. Not only do these numbers actually work well but they give a proper fit that is proper both when sitting (short ETT) and when standing (long Reach).

I also am totally fine with a bit taller BB in that 14"/350mm range so just wondering if I can simply run a bit longer shock overall, add a -1 headset cup, and rock out.

Thanks.
The CEF50 headset is Internally Routed Cable (IRC), so no frame cable routing ports. The manufacturer will supply it.

For aftermarket, likely higher in quality, see previous threads here on that topic for FSA's IRC headset offerings.

I'm still looking around because Cane Creek and Wolftooth aren't currently offering IRC. CC says no plans yet... they're hoping it's just a "bad trend".

Personally, never had routing issues with frame-based. Maybe the roadies need it for a slight lower drag coefficient? But for mtbs it might not be an advantage other than a cleaner cockpit...which is nice.

Others suggest it's more con: 1) pain to feed routing (than standard hassle), and 2) rear brake hose might rub at more extreme angles and friction points.

I'm just trying to source a quality headset for the new IRC "standard".😎

Update: Chris King said nope and no future plans either...only IRC they sell is a roadie "speed" set headset.😜

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles