Loose torque cap on front wheel. Anyone else?

gipsy

May 29, 2019
Croatia
I was looking long to find out that torque caps on my front wheel axle are making that annoying rattling noise. I think those should be snug.
Anyone else with same problem or solution?
Thanks
Torquecap.jpg

Dewi

Jan 9, 2019
Melbourne
I found they had a little clearance on the wifes Merida but were tight when fitted with the axle tight. Are yours loose with the axle tight?
The whole purpose is to create a bigger surface area so should definitely be tight.

gipsy

May 29, 2019
Croatia
I can tight axle to max torque but those are always loose.
It is end cap on hub that is wider than torque cap...so there is no chance for torque cap to be snug without some shims or something like that..

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I also experienced same thing, both distance washers were loose making rattle noise, I checked the axle and it was tight. Then I transported the bike in a car which required removing front wheel and after I put the wheel back on I found that this distance washers were now nicely fixed. Unfortunately I don't know what difference I made from before to after ... maybe you just try to remove the wheel and put it back on ...

gipsy

May 29, 2019
Croatia
I also experienced same thing, both distance washers were loose making rattle noise, I checked the axle and it was tight. Then I transported the bike in a car which required removing front wheel and after I put the wheel back on I found that this distance washers were now nicely fixed. Unfortunately I don't know what difference I made from before to after ... maybe you just try to remove the wheel and put it back on ...
Hmmmm... I will give it better look, even I did remove wheel few times but never snug...

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
They should be tight against the fork legs, that's the point of them.
Yours look different to mine though.
The video of yours seem to show the caps as just a 5mm spacer, mine ones have a large flat flange that sits against the fork leg.

gipsy

May 29, 2019
Croatia
It is a spacer 31mm outer diameter(5mm width) which snaps on axle end cup and suposed to sit with its outer flange surface to fork but.. protruding axle end cup is wider/longer (21mm diameter) and it sits against fork instead of spacer... so spacer is loose and rattling when riding. It is nit very loud but it is annoying once I hear it..

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
My torque caps weren't tight either so I just pulled them off and refitted the wheel and haven't worried about them since.
Please post up if you go to Specialized their response.

gipsy

May 29, 2019
Croatia
My torque caps weren't tight either so I just pulled them off and refitted the wheel and haven't worried about them since.
Please post up if you go to Specialized their response.
Will do.
How do you find fitting front wheel axle without spacer? Tricky?

congerball

Jun 3, 2019
Yorkshire UK
Exactly the same on my 2019 Levo, rattling pissed me off to start with so I asked my Spesh LBS...couple of the guys said throw them in the bin you don’t need them...so I took them off...but the rattling noise was still there, bit of elec tape under the rebound adjuster on the fork to secure it as this was the cause of my annoying rattle...after all that I put the torque caps back on..as surely they’re doing something?.....I can still turn them around though even at full torque....kind of stopped worrying about them, would like to know for sure though ?

Dewi

Jan 9, 2019
Melbourne
Just smear a bit of silicone in the right spot will stop noises.
I have had a few Rockshox forks without torque caps on my wheels, takes an extra couple of seconds to align, no big deal.
I think they are a bit of a gimmick. I understand the idea but if they were really after more torsional rigidity then they would run bigger axles.

DAZ1925

Nov 7, 2018
UK
If I understand this correctly these are just a metal ring loosely fitting over the original wheel end cap and only serve the purpose to align the front wheel up for installation. If this is the case, the original wheel end caps might just pull out. No tools needed, just insert you finger, bend it slightly then pull. assuming this worked you can order some like in the link below, just make sure you get the correct one's boost/non boost.

Hope Torque Cap Hub Spacers | Tredz Bikes

DAZ1925

Nov 7, 2018
UK
Here is short video where you can see it:

If they weren't loose you would have a stationary fork lower leg with a rotating brake disc, which would add friction and wear. In my opinion these aren't proper torque caps but just adapters to make fitting the wheel easier. Maybe some grease would help stop the rattle?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I just clean behind them when cleaning the bike then push some grease behind them. I usually have to help the forks over the torque caps by pushing one of them a little but they do not rattle or squeak in use. My understanding is that they merely provide a bigger interface to the fork where the through axle fits.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles