Kenevo rear wheel bolt coming loose

jallabanan

Oct 12, 2018
Norway
Hi,

The rear wheel bolt on my Kenevo came loose the other day, causing a rattling sound.

I just tightened it, and really didn't think much more of it.

When I took a closer look today though, it almost seems like there is something missing on the "nut end", as there is about 1 cm of thread left when the bolt is 100% tight.

Any ideas? :confused:

IMG_20181017_170115.jpg

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
I'm not sure how you could manage it, but are you using a front axle on the rear? It looks like you have just a few threads engaged.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
It's supposed to be 12 x 148mm, I'd measure it to make sure, although I can't see how the bike could have come with anything but that. Sure everything is OK on the non driveside? Nothing is bound up or in the way?

dutchi

Oct 19, 2018
seoul Republic of Korea
It is not a problem of your bike axle.
The essential problem is that the cone nut of the hub body axle is released and spreads to the left and right so that the rear axle is tightened as little as the space.
First, check the axle nut on the rear hub body.
If it was in the picture, the free body ratchet would have already been damaged.
It is recommended to check and replace the parts if they are damaged.
The above problem is a common problem when riding with the rear axle unlocked.
Due to the large torque transmission of the emtb, the check intervals of the bolts should be checked shortly compared to the normal mtb.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
My kenevo rear wheel bolt undid itself from new. Torqued it up and rode it through some fod threadlock and it's been fine since

jallabanan

Oct 12, 2018
Norway
Thanks guys!

Can anyone please take a picture similar to the first one i posted, or even better, measure the axle like I did?

I'm thinking perhaps the bike shop messed up and put in a (shorter) axle from a different Specialized bike?

bbred

Aug 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Thanks guys!

Can anyone please take a picture similar to the first one i posted, or even better, measure the axle like I did?

I'm thinking perhaps the bike shop messed up and put in a (shorter) axle from a different Specialized bike?
Having took my axle bolt out it was a devil of a job for it get the threaded end to start properly. Do not force the axle bolt in. It may feel tight but it has not engaged the thread on the other side. One tip is to take the bolt out and just screw it in from the cassette side to clear the fine threads from dirt. Then try again and be firm with trying to locate it in but do not cross the threads.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Thanks guys!

This is my '18 kenevo expert:
CCBD0261-CA23-42D4-8524-AF955FBC2769.jpeg

jallabanan

Oct 12, 2018
Norway
Quick update.

I believe @dutchi had the correct answer here.

It turns out the nuts (there are two of them, one black and one chrome) on the hub itself were loose, creating space between the cassette and the rim itself, leaving less space for the bolt.

This was not very obvious, even though I inspected the wheel several times.

I have no idea how this happened, as I haven't messed around a lot with the wheel on and off.

A bit scary tbh.

@Dax I would make sure this is not an issue with yours as well, if the bolt keeps undoing ;)

20181024_102154.png

20181024_101326.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles