Loose steep switchbacks in the UK

EeeDup (Phil Seton)

Jul 21, 2022
Fingringhoe
Hi Guys
We are currently racing in EWSE. Last race was in Valberg France. The trails were very different to things we have found in the UK. I am looking to tap into your knowledge of trails that are super steep with tight switchbacks and really loose anywhere in the UK. If we have to we will just go to the Alps to practice but I'm hoping someone out there will know of some trails in the UK that might offer this kind of terrain??

Thanks everyone. Please let me know.

Kind regards Phil Seton

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
I'm sure someone with local knowledge will be able to suggest Scottish trails that will fit the bill, but Antur Stiniog is the most alpine-style riding that I've tried in the UK. Steep, loose and technical.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Hi Guys
We are currently racing in EWSE. Last race was in Valberg France. The trails were very different to things we have found in the UK. I am looking to tap into your knowledge of trails that are super steep with tight switchbacks and really loose anywhere in the UK. If we have to we will just go to the Alps to practice but I'm hoping someone out there will know of some trails in the UK that might offer this kind of terrain??

Thanks everyone. Please let me know.

Kind regards Phil Seton

Loose as in mud or loose as in dry?

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
I'm sure someone with local knowledge will be able to suggest Scottish trails that will fit the bill, but Antur Stiniog is the most alpine-style riding that I've tried in the UK. Steep, loose and technical.

There's really only one track there that fits that description, Y-DU.

Llangollen (one giant leap) has the BDS track which is steep with tight switchbacks.

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
There are some very steep and loose trails in the Tweed Valley. Decade and Avalanche, Date Night. There are also plenty of trails which have very steep and tight corners, but aren't so loose. They do however get very slippery!

I can do you a more comprehensive list if you like or even shown you round.

EeeDup (Phil Seton)

Jul 21, 2022
Fingringhoe
There are some very steep and loose trails in the Tweed Valley. Decade and Avalanche, Date Night. There are also plenty of trails which have very steep and tight corners, but aren't so loose. They do however get very slippery!

I can do you a more comprehensive list if you like or even shown you round.

Yes we have already raced at Innerliethen and got 3rd place. Avalanche was one of Sean's favorites though we didn't race it. The trails in France were tighter steeper and looser. New York and Loan Woolf were mega. Really enjoyed those trails though I'm not at Sean's level.

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
Yes we have already raced at Innerliethen and got 3rd place. Avalanche was one of Sean's favorites though we didn't race it. The trails in France were tighter steeper and looser. New York and Loan Woolf were mega. Really enjoyed those trails though I'm not at Sean's level.

The trails that they race in the valley are never the steep ones though. The EWS course was pretty chill...although obviously I ride those trails at about half the speed as the pros!

Last edited:

EeeDup (Phil Seton)

Jul 21, 2022
Fingringhoe
Thanks to everyone for their feedback on this thread. We went to Antur Stiniog and Revolution bike park last weekend. Antur Stiniog was ok but not very steep and unfortunately way more grippy than we hoped. It was fun though. Revolution was steeper and some of the pro lines were ok.
Not sure we will find anything in the UK as steep loose and difficult to ride as in the Alps but if you know of any other options please let me know!
Thanks Phil Seton

Reactions: Dax

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Thanks to everyone for their feedback on this thread. We went to Antur Stiniog and Revolution bike park last weekend. Antur Stiniog was ok but not very steep and unfortunately way more grippy than we hoped. It was fun though. Revolution was steeper and some of the pro lines were ok.
Not sure we will find anything in the UK as steep loose and difficult to ride as in the Alps but if you know of any other options please let me know!
Thanks Phil Seton

Yeah y-du is about as steep as it gets there and that's only for part of it. Lots of fun tracks though!

Did you check out Llangollen -one giant leap? That might be more suited.

christopher_jx

Aug 8, 2022
Birmingham
Yep it's only 45mins from my house. It's the only place I go where I am truly scared! Just look at the videos on youtube obviously you can't tell how steep but the titles of the videos give it way!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles