Loose cassette

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
I have a Cube Reaction and it has started jumping gears.SRAM 12spd. I have looked at the cassette and there is quite a bit of play in it.
Can anyone tell me how to adjust / tighten it ?
Thanks G.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Thanks for posting that Mcharza. It shows how to replace the cassette but I'm not sure why mine felt loose in the first place.

I did try and tighten the lock-ring slightly but there was still play, from side to side.

I will re-assemble it and see if that works with the correct torque settings, as in the video.

Also my cassette isn't in one piece. All the sprockets separate and there is a spacer between the middle cogs.

Anyone else had or done his ?

Thanks G.

Thimlicek

Sep 23, 2019
Tilburg
My is moving about 3mm. I think that is normal. Better check chain, my was dead after 1000km (Sram). After change and new set up of rear drailer is all in normal again.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Your cassette is probably a 12 speed GX model
in which case it uses the shimano HG system and the above video won't be relevant
GX/HG cassettes sit on the splines with spacers between the sprockets and a single lockring holds them all in place.
if your cassette has play when the lockring is done up tight most likely either a spacer/sprocket is missing or something is stopping the lockring making full contact with the smallest sprocket.
I'd remove the cassette and check everything is spaced correctly and evenly just to be sure and also check whether the lockring is bottoming out on the freehub body before the cassette is tight on it.

Some cassettes actually need a small spacer behind them on the freehub body to space correctly (but this wouldn't normally be the case with GX cassette on an HG freehub)

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Gary I think you maybe correct that I need a spacer as the locknut does seem to bottom out before it's fully tight. It doesn't seem too bad but when I ride again ( gentle stuff) it seems to come loose again. Do you know where I can get a spacer ?

Thimlicek, did you replace your cassette with a like for like ? or did you upgrade it ?

Do all the Sram cassettes fit on the Shimano hub. For example I think I have an Eagle SX can I upgrade that and will it fit the splines if that is the problem. I have don e over 3000km.
Thanks G

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Mine was rattling it's tits off so tightened it up and still the same .
Took it off to find this....
It wouldn't tighten because some of the rings were cut into the freehub.
Filed it and refit cassette and all's well.

20200505_182926.jpg

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Do all the Sram cassettes fit on the Shimano hub. For example I think I have an Eagle SX can I upgrade that and will it fit the splines if that is the problem. I have don e over 3000km.
For 12 speed Eagle, SX and NX fit the Shimano HG freehub body. GX and up uses the XD driver. I think SX is OEM only still.

Last edited:

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
By coincidence, my PG1210 is in bits this morning, so here are all the standard spacers you get. On my stock (Formula) hubs no spacer behind the cassette.

PG1210.jpeg

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles