Cassette sizes

Dukey86

Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
Yorkshire
Hi, has anyone swapped a 11-42 cassette for a 11-46 cassette and could the rear mech handle the difference? Thanks

Dukey86

Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
Yorkshire
That's good... Shimano has 11-46 cassette so compatibility is not a question.
I was looking at the sun race cassette it’s on offer at the moment but don’t have any experience with sun race products so it’s a bit of a gamble!

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
I was looking at the sun race cassette it’s on offer at the moment but don’t have any experience with sun race products so it’s a bit of a gamble!
I run a 11-40 and a 11-46 Sunrace on two of my "analog" bikes and they are great. I don't know how they hold up to the bigger power of an ebike but for the price you cannot really go wrong with them.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
You will need the long cage rear mech to use an 11-46 It probably is but worth checking

Last edited:

Dukey86

Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
Yorkshire
Good shout, as it has a 42 cassette on already i would’ve thought it is a long cage.

E

EddieJ

I've had two Sunrace 11-42 cassettes and can't speak highly enough of the brand.

The second cassette was sold with the bike, so I can't answer for the durability of that one, but I probably got close to 3,000 miles out of the first. It wasn't the low or high range gears that ultimately spelt the end of the cassette, it was gears six, seven and eight (I can't remember how many teeth on each) The chain started to jump forwards under load, but the teeth didn't even look worn. It was only when using a chainwhip that the reason even showed it self up.

I have read reports of some people saying that they have had chain issues with them, but again, that wasn't my experience. By memory, I used a KMC X10 chain.

Dukey86

Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
Yorkshire
I've had two Sunrace 11-42 cassettes and can't speak highly enough of the brand.

The second cassette was sold with the bike, so I can't answer for the durability of that one, but I probably got close to 3,000 miles out of the first. It wasn't the low or high range gears that ultimately spelt the end of the cassette, it was gears six, seven and eight (I can't remember how many teeth on each) The chain started to jump forwards under load, but the teeth didn't even look worn. It was only when using a chainwhip that the reason even showed it self up.

I have read reports of some people saying that they have had chain issues with them, but again, that wasn't my experience. By memory, I used a KMC X10 chain.
Thanks, I’ve ordered one now with a new chain can’t wait to try it out.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles