getting started on a steep incline

kauaibobby

Feb 9, 2022
Eagle, Colorado
i have a tough time getting going on really steep hills. Tough to get the rear wheel moving and keep the front wheel on ground.
What is your best technique ?

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Shift to easy gear if not already in one, use eco-assist to get started to avoid excessive torque spinning out the rear wheel immediately in trail/turbo mode, don't look right in front of front wheel but look ahead up the trail-helps maintain balance in difficult situations like this, wiggle front wheel rapidly side to side in small movements as you begin to pedal-helps maintain the balance you need to ride your desired line on steep uphill techy sections (this is the motorcyclist's "line splitting" technique, enabling them to ride an absolute straight line between car-filled lanes of traffic and not veer off to one side, shearing off a car's rearview mirror, also allows you to steer a straight line through soft sand-try it you'll like it). You also can't sit down on saddle immediately or the front wheel will loop out. Rather you have to hover your butt slightly off the saddle while leaning chest way down in front to keep the front wheel down while simultaneously weighting the rear wheel so it doesn't spin out. Can't sit on saddle until the ultra steep section levels off a bit. After one or two pedal rotations, quickly punch up to higher assist modes/shifting gears as needed, to pick up speed. These moves require repeated practice to get them down, so you will need to session a steep uphill trail repeatedly to get good at this. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Depends on how wide the trail is. If it has a little width I start just gently angled, but if narrow I will back the bike off the trail into the crap, grab a handy branch or something firm then get up on my pedals before resuming the climb.As @ilostmypassword said - drop the seat a bit. Me, I prefer just anough to be comfortable as dropping it right down stresses my knees.
Also remember on climbing to stay seated - just mpve forward on the seat. Use a low gear and low-mid power to stop the front end popping up or the rear spinning.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
lower the saddle , put the motor in a middling assistance mode - I use tour or emtb on the bosch motor, definitely not boost to start , pick an appropriate gear. start pedalling, once up to speed, you can usually increase the height of the saddle - but maybe not to full height if its really steep, and increase the assistance of the motor

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I'm with some of the above re drop seat and low gear. I'd also add put your foot and pedal at the top of the power stroke. If you can, having a meter or two of reasonable ground in front is good too; it doesn't take much of a rock to stop you or help you lose traction when you're starting. One foot on the ground, sit on the seat and lean forward as much as you can.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Starting on a steep incline can be difficult. Here you will find a really really good tip from Stefan Schlie. Sorry it is in German, but you will get the Idea. Go to about 4:20
In short.
Seat 3 cm lower.
Remain sitting to get weight over the back wheel for traction.
Use the easiest gear
Use Emtb on Bosch
Start with the Downhill foot forwards
Get both feet on the pedals before starting
Feather the brakes to control everything.

skinipenem

Apr 9, 2022
skinipenem
Starting on a steep incline can be difficult. Here you will find a really really good tip from Stefan Schlie. Sorry it is in German, but you will get the Idea. Go to about 4:20
In short.
Seat 3 cm lower.
Remain sitting to get weight over the back wheel for traction.
Use the easiest gear
Use Emtb on Bosch
Start with the Downhill foot forwards
Get both feet on the pedals before starting
Feather the brakes to control everything.

This is pretty good advice. I'll add pressure the nose of your seat with your butt. In didn't watch the video however feathering your rear break could help keep the front wheel down while under power I suppose.

Once you get the fore aft balance correct with appropriate gearing it'll become easy.

andyb2

Jan 10, 2020
somerset
One thing I've found helpfull is keeping my thumbs on top of the bars, rather than griping them. You're less likely to pull back on the bars, and lift the front wheel.

ChuckK

Mar 15, 2020
Golden, CO
Be in a low—but not lowest—gear, lower seat a bit, try to start in a place where your foot on the ground is on a high spot, and—most important—drop your chest close the handlebars to weight the front wheel and keep it from lifting off the ground or wandering. If it’s a wide trail, you may be able to start off at a slight angle to lessen the steepness.

Last edited:

WubbleU

Apr 3, 2022
Bristol
When this happens usually find myself going back down and trying it again. Especially if I'd made the same climb before. Sometime I forget to enable T/C :LOL:
Lol, you people who ride for fun rather than transport. Going back to do it again! To be fair, that's the best way to get better so you can label me jealous 😉

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I have one eroded loose very steep trail I do if I don't get it right nothing works except walking. It's only a short section sometimes you pick a line it's OK sometimes not but theres not reallya right line . Tried all ways mentioned here to get going again just end up knackered and still have to walk maybe 50 metres.

ChuckK

Mar 15, 2020
Golden, CO
I have one eroded loose very steep trail I do if I don't get it right nothing works except walking. It's only a short section sometimes you pick a line it's OK sometimes not but theres not reallya right line . Tried all ways mentioned here to get going again just end up knackered and still have to walk maybe 50 metres.
Walking is fine. It’s a natural part of mountain biking. Nobody is keeping score of how much or how little we walk.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Walking is fine. It’s a natural part of mountain biking. Nobody is keeping score of how much or how little we walk.
Must admit I am a serious hill walker but when I cycle I don't like walking or getting beat on a section. Don't get the hike a bike bit maybe because I used to try to cycle walking stuff long ago Lairig Gru jumps to mind . As long as you're happy.

ChuckK

Mar 15, 2020
Golden, CO
I get it. There’s a real sense of satisfaction in successfully riding a section you had to walk previously. Been there and done that. When I was younger, I would often immediately repeat a section over and over until I cleared it. But I’m now 71 and have had two serious falls in the last 15 years (plus several minor ones) and realize if I take too much risk I could find myself not being able to ride while I recover from an injury. So it’s a risk-reward calculation that we all make as individuals, and that calculation can change with time. Now I’m more interested in staying healthy to ride rather than take a risk. But I have to admit that I still sometimes give into temptation.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I get it. There’s a real sense of satisfaction in successfully riding a section you had to walk previously. Been there and done that. When I was younger, I would often immediately repeat a section over and over until I cleared it. But I’m now 71 and have had two serious falls in the last 15 years (plus several minor ones) and realize if I take too much risk I could find myself not being able to ride while I recover from an injury. So it’s a risk-reward calculation that we all make as individuals, and that calculation can change with time. Now I’m more interested in staying healthy to ride rather than take a risk. But I have to admit that I still sometimes give into temptation.
Tell me about it im 66 and thinking i need to stop having these daft days like yesterday.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
I know how you feel! I was involved in contact sport ( rugby) since I was 5 years old. Then kept fit through running and later golf.
At 76 YOA I should not take risks, but when I get on my e-mtb I still think I am a teenager.
My son who is a roadie and a mtb'er, laughs when I tell him not to take risks!!!!!!!! He and his mate completed the Tour Aoteoroa ( from North Cape to the Bluff, New Zealand) which is just over 3000 km, averaging just over 200 km per day. They are machines!!!!!
Some of the mtb tracks they rode I would struggle to complete!!
I had one decent fall on a Grade 4 track this year, and thanks to a full-face helmet, knee/elbow and plenty of padding in a day backpack, I survived without any broken bones. I got off cheaply with $400 for new helmet and several visits to a Physio.
I now limit myself to nothing higher than Grade 3.

Markyd

Jun 6, 2022
Troon
Easiest way is feather the back brake and keep it in boost. As soon as you get moving let go of the brake.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Some hill climb starts are just not going to happen half way up. Give up and ride back down for another go or learn the hard way by flipping out , that hurts .
These bikes are capable of some ridiculous climbs but I've come to realise lack of grip and flipping out regardless of technique on some climbs is just a given .

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Some hill climb starts are just not going to happen half way up. Give up and ride back down for another go or learn the hard way by flipping out , that hurts .
These bikes are capable of some ridiculous climbs but I've come to realise lack of grip and flipping out regardless of technique on some climbs is just a given .
Totally agree the one I get caught at is loose rocks i manage it about one in ten attempts. Luck more than skill.

kauaibobby

Feb 9, 2022
Eagle, Colorado
all good advise. I used jeff mc d advise: start off in eco mode and then i can quickly move to turbo.
I have some steep rocky hills at times. Jeff i have kids that live on big island and that is where i strarted emtbiking.

ChuckK

Mar 15, 2020
Golden, CO
I know how you feel! I was involved in contact sport ( rugby) since I was 5 years old. Then kept fit through running and later golf.
At 76 YOA I should not take risks, but when I get on my e-mtb I still think I am a teenager.
My son who is a roadie and a mtb'er, laughs when I tell him not to take risks!!!!!!!! He and his mate completed the Tour Aoteoroa ( from North Cape to the Bluff, New Zealand) which is just over 3000 km, averaging just over 200 km per day. They are machines!!!!!
Some of the mtb tracks they rode I would struggle to complete!!
I had one decent fall on a Grade 4 track this year, and thanks to a full-face helmet, knee/elbow and plenty of padding in a day backpack, I survived without any broken bones. I got off cheaply with $400 for new helmet and several visits to a Physio.
I now limit myself to nothing higher than Grade 3.
Been to NZ twice but long time ago. Toured both islands. Gorgeous country! Hope to go back. Have thoughts of maybe offering to teach a class at Univ. of Auckland.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Aloha, Kauai Bobby, we don't have many trails here on the Big Island but our favorite is Kalopa State Park on the Honoka'a side. There are some ultra steep climbs going up Gulch Trail, one of which I have only made it up successfully a few times because ultra steep, very tight-technical trail with twists and turns at the top and finally a step-up at the very top with a huge slippery root. I also lead the trail maintenance crew for the Kaloko Trails in Kona. Today we rode upper goatman trail on the lava flow since the storm just came through last night. Very rugged but no mud ha ha! Have fun riding the trails in Kauai. I have a friend who says they are really great.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles