Help getting started - choosing the right one

Kasper

Jan 30, 2023
Denmark
Hi every one

Hate to be that guy with another tedious which bike question. But here I am. Sorry and thanks in advance.

Bugdet is tight AF but I think I am comitted to going E as I never get out on my analog. Fitness wise I am in a terrible place and it is holding me back.

I am 90kilo plus. My lcoal forrest is very XC (Denmark, Hareskoven) but I would like the option to take it some where with some more advanced trails too - but nothing crazy as I am mid 40 and in bad shape - both with regards to physique and riding skills.

Analog bike is an older Kona Process 134.

Current options are:
New Rise H30 (2022)- 3.733 euro (shop is one hour from my house)
New Spesh Levo carbon base model (Not SL) - 5.400 euro.

Used Rise h30 (2021)- 2.700 euro. 1,5 years old. Fork is as new as the seller rode it with a better fork chich to me suggest the bike has seen some stuff.
Used Spesh Levo Carbon base model (Not SL)- 4.000 euro. About 1,5 year old. It seems like its been taken ok care care off.

Due to budget constraints I am leaning towards the Rise. Either the used one as its cheaper or new one because it comes with full warranty. Used one could be ensured and thus get pratically the same or better warranty for major issues.

But I read about the rattle. And I noticed the weight for the alu rise is almost the same as the carbon Levo. The sub 18 kilo M version at the same price would sway (and still that rattle grrr) but now I am not sure. The levo is FF and thus more powerfull on the up. Less noicy motor. Better cockpit. Nore expensive but the used one wouldn't be wose than the new Rise.

The Rise semi-analog nature appeals but the far more capeable Levo appeals as well.

People seem to bottom out on the Rise. And with me weight...

So what to do?

Also any major conserns with regards to reliability? I heard the new levo motor is better so thats good. How about the Rise?

In general - can I expect reliablity isssues and if so how often and how big are the issues in general?

I know there is not a correct answer, but I am here for the personal preference and the reasoning. So help a fella please.

best regards
Kasper

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
One thing that gets mentioned a lot here is buying from a bike shop that is local to you with a good reputation. If a new bike experiences issues you don't want to be posting it back or having a 7hr round trip.
See what is available locally, post up your findings that's within budget and we can give opinions on the bikes 👍🏻

Kasper

Jan 30, 2023
Denmark
One thing that gets mentioned a lot here is buying from a bike shop that is local to you with a good reputation. If a new bike experiences issues you don't want to be posting it back or having a 7hr round trip.
See what is available locally, post up your findings that's within budget and we can give opinions on the bikes 👍🏻
Hi Mate. Thanks for the feedback . I live in Denmark. 7h is pretty much from one end of the country - to the farthest end and back=) But the point stands of course.

The main the i am undecided about is how different the ride characteristics really are between Leve Carbon and Rise All as the weight is pretty similar. And also how much I should value new over used for 18 month.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
I'd say that new over used is worth somewhere between €1.5k (minimum!) to €3k.

I don't know anyone who hasn't needed a motor under warranty in the first two years, both Shimano and Bosch. I ride in the UK, and all of us ride in all weathers so lots of wet rides and pressure washing, but still. I'd budget for a new motor, maybe a new battery (esp. if Shimano), a new drivechain, and a service on fork, shock and seat post. If the second hand still looks like a bargain, or if you'd prefer to just think about those costs later as they occur, go for it!

Kasper

Jan 30, 2023
Denmark
I'd say that new over used is worth somewhere between €1.5k (minimum!) to €3k.

I don't know anyone who hasn't needed a motor under warranty in the first two years, both Shimano and Bosch. I ride in the UK, and all of us ride in all weathers so lots of wet rides and pressure washing, but still. I'd budget for a new motor, maybe a new battery (esp. if Shimano), a new drivechain, and a service on fork, shock and seat post. If the second hand still looks like a bargain, or if you'd prefer to just think about those costs later as they occur, go for it!
Really good feedback.
Denmark and UK weather is very similar although local trails are very prepped (unfortunately) so its not too muddy.

So depending on how recent the used one was serviced, had drivetrain refresh etc. and just the peace of mind with a new one savnig 1k euro is not worth it in most cases. I think that was my thinking too.

In some ways though - need of a new motor could be a + if the new less rattly one could be installed=)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Don't use a jetwash!

I too ride in all weathers, and I transport my bike on the back of the car in all weathers too. I had a Shimano e8000 motor on a Focus Jam2 for 3500 miles and I've had my Shimano EP8 motored Merida eOne-Sixty for almost 2000 miles. Not a single problem with the motors. There was a rattle that I heard when it was new (because I was listening for it), but after the first few weeks I never heard it again.

To clean the bike, I do not use a jetwash, not even a hosepipe. I use a watering can with a sprinkler rose. Unlike some on here, I do not use a hairdryer to dry the bike, I just a wipe over with an old towel, give it a bounce and job done!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles