Looking to get into it, but where to start

TNTrojan

Oct 7, 2022
Thanks for allowing me to join. Don’t have an eMTB yet but seriously looking. Not sure what to get. Have never ridden an eMTB or MTB. Rode motorcycles off-road for many years. Now 65 and not doing that anymore. Considered getting a hardtail like the Giant Talon but maybe at my age and skill level a FS might be better. I am looking right now at a Specialized Turbo Levo Comp Alloy or a Trek Rail 7. The Levo is on sale and priced $1000 less than the Trek. Both feel about the same and have what appear to be comparable components. Really like the eMTB mode on the Trek as I can see riding a lot in that mode, and it has a lot more modes than the Levo. Since I can only check them out in parking lots, it’s difficult for me to evaluate the Levo motor with respect to on trail use and performance. It doesn’t appear to have a similar mode to the Trek. Struggling with the decision. I would buy the Levo if I knew the motor would work for me in a similar way to the Trek

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Hi welcome

The advice will be difficult because you do have followers of brands
Not being a particular follower out of them 2 i prefer the trek and Bosch
I have tried a good few and owned Brose, Shimano, Yamaha, TQ and Bosch and for me i always end up with Bosch again
But this is a personal preference as with a lot of things i just like the way it behaves and the overall package
Just remember they all have their quirks and issues
Others will be along surely and have their own preferences too but at the end of the day you have to like it not us.
Happy Hunting.

PS. Go full suspension that is something most will agree with (y)

TNTrojan

Oct 7, 2022
They are two major brands with a lot of followers. They are both great bikes. I am really interested in the motor performance so hopefully those who have the Gen 3 Levos will provide some insight. I really liked the Bosch motor which is why I haven’t yet pulled the trigger on the Specialized. If it wasn’t on sale the Trek would be in my garage.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
The Trek Rail is a GREAT bike. I have the 9.7. It was my first emtb. Now I have 4 emtb's (all different brands) and the Trek continues to be one of my all time favorites. Bosch makes a very good motor and emtb mode is really good. I have ridden my buddies Specialized several times and honestly, I did not like it personally nearly as much as my Trek.

TNTrojan

Oct 7, 2022
Just got done riding the Rail 7 and the Specialized Levo. I have to say that for an old man, I think the Bosch motor meets my needs better

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles