Where to start? Questions around my eMTB

Achooski

May 27, 2020
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Not sure whether I should post in the manufacturer specific Cube forum, or General eMTB

So, being a newbie here, perhaps this is the best starting place?

Cassette upgrade
I have a Cube Acid One Hybrid 500, with Bosch Active Plus 50Nm, Cruise 250W.
I'm curious as to upgrade options for my cassette (9 speed CS-HG 200 11-34T) - I'd like a gear 1 cassette ring with (plenty) more teeth if possible.
My brother has a similar question around his recently acquired hub-driven Roux Big Slick 7 speed bike.
Is it possible to change the cassette & use a different ratio without adversely affecting the motor / power output?

Motor assistance levels
I've also got a query on what I should expect from my bike in terms of power assistance - not the user manual blurb, but the physical "how it feels" assistance, typically in a climb, working through the gears.

Since buying my eMTB, I've been loathe to turn on the power unless I'm flagging (either energy-wise or falling behind our small troop, pre-Covid times).

This reluctant approach is solely for my benefit - pushing myself to work-out - than for any lack of faith in the power assistance.

When I've switched to Sport & Turbo models I've been largely disappointed. The Eco & Tour modes seem to deliver power as anticipated.
(I'm not entirely sure how Tour should deliver power, but it definitely does seem variable output)

Whilst I realise my wife's Haibike Sduro Hardlife 4.0 (Yamaha motor) is more powerful, I can't get my head around how & when the power delivery differs. Hers has a Yamaha PW 250W motor.

Her bike seems to sail uphill in mid to high gears (depending on the gradient); although she's pedalling, she's not grinding hard.

My climbs on same gradient seem to require more effort & anticipatory gear-changes to lower gears.

I think I must be either missing the opportunity to allow the higher-level power to kick in, or I'm expecting more than it would or could deliver.

Care & maintenance
Any recommendations / guides for ebike-specific care & maintenance are much appreciated.
I really like my LBS (from where both our ebikes were purchased), but the last services were less than satisfactory (two issues not resolved & one extra issue created).
If there's maintenance I could do myself, I'd prefer to do so.

Diagnostics
I'm a bit nerdy, so would like to know if there are any diagnostic / monitoring apps available for either of our bikes.

Thank you!

Last edited:

DynamicObserver

May 4, 2020
South Wales
Hello all,

Not sure whether I should post in the manufacturer specific Cube forum, or General eMTB

So, being a newbie here, perhaps this is the best starting place?

Cassette upgrade
I have a Cube Acid One Hybrid 500, with Bosch Active Plus 50Nm, Cruise 250W.
I'm curious as to upgrade options for my cassette (9 speed CS-HG 200 11-34T) - I'd like a gear 1 cassette ring with (plenty) more teeth if possible.
My brother has a similar question around his recently acquired hub-driven Roux Big Slick 7 speed bike.
Is it possible to change the cassette & use a different ratio without adversely affecting the motor / power output?

Motor assistance levels
I've also got a query on what I should expect from my bike in terms of power assistance - not the user manual blurb, but the physical "how it feels" assistance, typically in a climb, working through the gears.

Since buying my eMTB, I've been loathe to turn on the power unless I'm flagging (either energy-wise or falling behind our small troop, pre-Covid times).

This reluctant approach is solely for my benefit - pushing myself to work-out - than for any lack of faith in the power assistance.

When I've switched to Sport & Turbo models I've been largely disappointed. The Eco & Tour modes seem to deliver power as anticipated.
(I'm not entirely sure how Tour should deliver power, but it definitely does seem variable output)

Whilst I realise my wife's Haibike Sduro Hardlife 4.0 (Yamaha motor) is more powerful, I can't get my head around how & when the power delivery differs. Hers has a Yamaha PW 250W motor.

Her bike seems to sail uphill in mid to high gears (depending on the gradient); although she's pedalling, she's not grinding hard.

My climbs on same gradient seem to require more effort & anticipatory gear-changes to lower gears.

I think I must be either missing the opportunity to allow the higher-level power to kick in, or I'm expecting more than it would or could deliver.

Care & maintenance
Any recommendations / guides for ebike-specific care & maintenance are much appreciated.
I really like my LBS (from where both our ebikes were purchased), but the last services were less than satisfactory (two issues not resolved & one extra issue created).
If there's maintenance I could do myself, I'd prefer to do so.

Diagnostics
I'm a bit nerdy, so would like to know if there are any diagnostic / monitoring apps available for either of our bikes.

Thank you!

Hope your enjoying the new bike. I dont have a cube, but I'm interested i this as I have the same cassette and mines thrashed (8 and 9 gear) pretty hard use but not extreme and do e just under 400 miles.

Mines the haibike with the yamaha engine, and the only thing I have noticed is as soon as the cranks move the power kicks in, and if its in high mode its great on the hills.

Achooski

May 27, 2020
United Kingdom
Hope your enjoying the new bike. I dont have a cube, but I'm interested i this as I have the same cassette and mines thrashed (8 and 9 gear) pretty hard use but not extreme and do e just under 400 miles.

Mines the haibike with the yamaha engine, and the only thing I have noticed is as soon as the cranks move the power kicks in, and if its in high mode its great on the hills.

Hello DO,

Yes, the Haibike (at least my wife's and yours from the sound of it) has "zero cadence" response - as soon as your cranks move past the sensor, power assistance is provided.

Her cassette was thrashed after the first year of minimal cycling, and I'm wondering if that's mostly attributable to the enthusiastic power delivery, which doesn't need her to change gear like she would without it.

Her cassette is a Shimano CS-HG201-9, with 36T on the lowest (easiest) gear; my Cube has a CS-HG200-9, with 34T lowest gear.

There is a noticeable difference in these particular cassette ring sizes (but the others seem to be identical).

I'm hoping I can get am 11- 36+T cassette.

Something like this is an eye-opener, but I am not sure on compatibility: Box Two eMTB 9-speed

DynamicObserver

May 4, 2020
South Wales
Hello DO,

Yes, the Haibike (at least my wife's and yours from the sound of it) has "zero cadence" response - as soon as your cranks move past the sensor, power assistance is provided.

Her cassette was thrashed after the first year of minimal cycling, and I'm wondering if that's mostly attributable to the enthusiastic power delivery, which doesn't need her to change gear like she would without it.

Her cassette is a Shimano CS-HG201-9, with 36T on the lowest (easiest) gear; my Cube has a CS-HG200-9, with 34T lowest gear.

There is a noticeable difference in these particular cassette ring sizes (but the others seem to be identical).

I'm hoping I can get am 11- 36+T cassette.

Something like this is an eye-opener, but I am not sure on compatibility: Box Two eMTB 9-speed

I have seen the box, but i don't think its worth the cost for my bike.
My cassette is the same, but a 11-36t, going for a alivio sg400 9 speed, but all I can find is a 11-34 in stock so it will have to do for now unless I want to spend more.

I have 2x spare pc971 9 speed chains, but ideally would like to put a kmc sl on it just because I can get one in gold.

Im not convinced a 2.6 will fit on my bike ( speed sensor) have a 2.4 maxxi and its tight , or even on my rims but I have a set of e-wilds ready to try when they need to go on next.

The instant on power is something i like, but i think its going to be a problem with premature wear

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles