Lockdown How far is too far

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
I have the same issue. I can ride straight from my back door and cover 16 miles or so without having to do much tarmac but it is bridleway/farmtrack type riding so not very exciting!! My usual riding in in local forests but that involves a van trip of 5 to 7 miles to get to them. I live in a village and the nearest supermarket is 7 miles away so what is local??? Straight from my back door, or a van trip to the nearest forest involves no difference in terms of risking catching or spreading Covid but I guess I will ride straight from my back door for now just to avoid the risk of getting fined for an unnecessary van journey.
Would that be Puddletown Mike?
Interestingly Dorset Police aso list going to your Local beach for watersports Dorset Police Lockdown FAQ There aren't many water sports that you can do without transportation for your equipment. So there is an inference that you can drive locally.
A local newspaper during Lockdown 2 even posted this Echo Lockdown walks most of these places would require you drive to reach them.
I'm sure people have seen the opposite end of the spectrum with Derbyshire police fining two women going for a drive to a walk.
I live in a similar situation to Mike - Outskirts of a small village, really slippery horse ridden bridle paths on my doorstep, miles from a supermarket and similar distances to local trails and beaches.
During the last lockdowns, I stayed closer to home and really dialled back the risk level of my sports by staying well within my capabilities. That being said I did get injured in the last 9 months - a trip and a fall at home with a painful faceplant. I was walking across my living room! Accidents happen. We can and should minimise the risks, but we cannot completely avoid them even if we try to do nothing of risk and stay indoors.
I like these forums and generally find a good balanced debate. What is most helpful is seeing other people constructive comments and points of view. We differ wildly, come from a wide variety of locations and with differing personal circumstances. It's pretty hard to define a set of rules to not only manage this situation, but also do it equitably and in a way that doesn't very negatively impact someone.

Coburn

Aug 18, 2019
Somerset
I went for my ride yesterday up Quantocks. I rode from home as that seemed to be the general advice and morally the right thing. An hour there and back really isn’t such a big thing on an ebike anyway I just knocked the assist down to save battery while on the road.

The car parks I passed at Triscombe and Greatwood were packed seems most are still driving (their decision doesn’t need to bother me)
I rode trails I’ve known for years to remain within my ability, while I agree loading the NHS is a bad idea I don’t think the risk is so high it should prevent getting out. During the whole ride I reckon the highest risk was on road due to cars passing so close and at speed so while I am happy to ride to my local riding spot I think driving there would actually reduce risk of loading the NHS.
Next weekend I should take a hammer and remove any wing mirrors of cars that come within reach :)
PS
A couple of the guys above really need to chill out suggest getting on your bike...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I don't have an issue with going out on the bike, or even driving reasonably locally (in fact for dog walks recently I tend to drive about 5 miles away to do a walk which is more rural and less crowded, as local area is super busy), its more going to meet up with a group of people for an activity/ride/walk etc. for me I am far more comfortable driving a bit to be able to be in an uncrowded environment, than walking out my door to effectively be walking amongst a big group of people unintentionally.

At the moment work is super busy, so not riding as much as I might like, but went out yesterday locally, and still saw several groups of people on bikes out for a ride together, and I just think thats taking the piss.

I think that we in the UK just have to be aware that its a lot easier than you think to get Covid right now, and have that front and centre of our thinking when heading out the house.

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
In total contrast to all those who have to work every day. To those who live in tower block flats with several small children, to those without a decent broadband speed, to those who just cannot afford one computer per child for their on-line learning,or even one! To those single parents without help from anyone, to the old folk that have not had the opportunity to meet, let alone see or hug their family, to all those who live in a city without access to green spaces. To those who are furloughed and worried about whether it is a precursor to unemployment. To all those who have lost their job or their living because of Covid, or are struggling to keep their business from going broke. To anyone living alone. To all those with non-Covid related "underlying conditions" like cancer and other nasties and have found their treatments postponed. To all those dealing on a daily basis with those infected by Covid, or might be....

I salute you!

You all make me feel so guilty and yet so lucky all in one go!

I am 69, so I'm knocking on the door of those who should be very concerned about Covid. But I'm not. I don't have any underlying health conditions (that I know about!) I am retired, my finances are secure, I have no worries, my wife loves me (still - I think), my kids are supportive if a little preachy. We have good broadband, we live in a village with access to green space (not as excellent as Hodge, but hey you can't have everything!) We live in a house with a big garden and I have an emtb to play with (bliss). The supermarket on-line ordering has all our basic needs delivered, plus beer and wine of course. My biggest dilemma is: should I drive 25 miles to my local trail centre where I hardly ever see anyone, let alone meet anyone, because I ride off-piste? My jury has been out on that one, but today I decided not to do so; local tarmac for - me no matter how boring it may be. I have so much to be thankful for.
The thing I miss most is not being able to meet my mates at the pub. That is such a small thing compared to what many, many, others are missing that I feel like a trivial person just for mentioning it. Like I said I have so much to be thankful for.
We should all count our blessings; I sure do.
Well said Steve, I could have written that?. Think this applies to most people on this forum.We have reached an age when we are insulated from financial problems i.e. if you’ve got an expensive ebike, you’re not using the local food bank and borrowing money to pay the rent. Of course, the downside is dodgy back, knees, elbows, neck, or whatever. So where would you rather be? As you are now, financially ok, comfortable life, holidays,etc. Or back several decades when money is tight, things are a struggle but you have the vitality of youth on your side.
What annoys me is the way we are arguing amongst ourselves about basic freedoms that we had a year ago, and took for granted. The reason for all of this is that one way or another, China has inflicted this shitstorm on the entire planet, and have basically got away with it. Anybody hear them say sorry? No, didn’t think so. Nobody is taking them to task, apart from maybe the Aussie government, who then got sanctions applied for daring to ask questions. The WHO are in China’s pocket, so any inspections that they might undertake when they are allowed to, will be a whitewash anyway. I just don’t understand why the governments of the world are just letting them get away with it.
Rant over, now somebody tell me what the advantages are of going mullet?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
now somebody tell me what the advantages are of going mullet?
You can't put a price on sartorial elegance...

1610280034456.png

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
think that we in the UK just have to be aware that its a lot easier than you think to get Covid right now, and have that front and centre of our thinking when heading out the house.
Agreed.

I've not ridden much recently as my local area seems to be a 'honey-pot' for people getting their daily exercise. Also makes walking the dog hard as folks won't keep distance, and seem intent on walking up to you and having a chat, pet the dog etc.

So currently having to use the car to get a few miles away from the busy areas for dog walks. Will prob try and get out on the road a few times a week, but that's it for me for the foreseeable.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I'll let you come and read all the contracts sitting on my desk, and argue with all the clients that are keeping sites open and putting pressure on contractors to deliver on time, despite restrictions on working conditions. Failing to do so can cost millions in damages. And is putting firms out of business. That's a fact.

People in construction on furlough might be because they are unfortunate that works dried up or slowed.

Meeting contractual obligations in unprecented circumstances is somewhat different.

Can read what you like on the internet mate but the real world is somewhat different.
Yep, no lock down hear, the roads are still busy at 6am , the government no damn well people are going to work, they could shut the economy down if they really wanted to be strict but the reality is we cant print money.

Fair play to all the retired financially stable self sufficient people, I'm a long way off that position :rolleyes:
I'm a joiner, last year we worked all threw lock down on a new build site full of foreigner's.

This year is mainly booked up until may in private individual homes fitting very expensive kitchens for wealthy clients mostly 50-70 age group all demanding there jobs are not held up regardless of cost or health, if it was up to me I would tell them all to do one but I have a business partner and a couple of subcontractors and the retail outlet big men to keep happy, is it bad to wish covid on these selfish pricks ?

We also cannot claim any furlough moneys worth a mention due to being company directors on a minimum paye scheme.

If there's a lock down out there I cant see it, and its certainly not effecting where I ride my bike, the only limiting factor for me is no time to ride. Retail kitchen and bathroom stores have there front doors shut but there all open and business is booming out the rear entrance :mad:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Would that be Puddletown Mike?
Interestingly Dorset Police aso list going to your Local beach for watersports Dorset Police Lockdown FAQ There aren't many water sports that you can do without transportation for your equipment. So there is an inference that you can drive locally.
A local newspaper during Lockdown 2 even posted this Echo Lockdown walks most of these places would require you drive to reach them.
I'm sure people have seen the opposite end of the spectrum with Derbyshire police fining two women going for a drive to a walk.
I live in a similar situation to Mike - Outskirts of a small village, really slippery horse ridden bridle paths on my doorstep, miles from a supermarket and similar distances to local trails and beaches.
During the last lockdowns, I stayed closer to home and really dialled back the risk level of my sports by staying well within my capabilities. That being said I did get injured in the last 9 months - a trip and a fall at home with a painful faceplant. I was walking across my living room! Accidents happen. We can and should minimise the risks, but we cannot completely avoid them even if we try to do nothing of risk and stay indoors.
I like these forums and generally find a good balanced debate. What is most helpful is seeing other people constructive comments and points of view. We differ wildly, come from a wide variety of locations and with differing personal circumstances. It's pretty hard to define a set of rules to not only manage this situation, but also do it equitably and in a way that doesn't very negatively impact someone.
Yes....Puddletown probably the closest but avoid Thursdays!! ( mincing day it seems!!). Wareham Forest ( Morden side) a bit further. Puddletown can be a bit extreme but still within my skills level, Wareham Forest is quite a bit milder. During the week if we ride at either it is rare to meet anyone other maybe some dog walkers on the access fireroads. Both are sandy/loamy and mostly well drained hillside locations so rideable in all weathers. By contrast my local bridleway/farm track routes can have areas that are virtually unpassable due to the general ground damage by cattle and tractors and are mostly high on a ridgeline fully exposed to wind and weather........but do have some of the phenomenal coastal views of the Jurassic coastline etc. So maximum enjoyment with minimum risk would be Wareham Forest which is about 9 miles away. I also windsurf but the same sort of distances apply to get to the beach. PS I am 70 so supposedly in the higher risk category.
My decision currently will be to bash my local rides straight from my back door...and I have one riding buddy virtually in the same position, so we will ride together ( which is safer than riding solo). Last year we identified about 32 miles of mostly offroad rides, so his time I will continue my research to fine tune those rides bypassing the worst cut up bits and maybe look for some different rides.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Anyone any idea what is involved the Prime Minister going to a public place to exercise in terms of security, communications, planning? I have had some involvement years ago. He is not as lucky as us to roam where and when he pleases.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
So it's still as clear as mud then...

It's this desire not to be explicit (because there are too many different scenarios) that's ending up causing the problem. I think we're going to end up having a rule 'you can only drive 5 miles' or whatever. Which will wind up the surfer who lives 10 miles from the coast, or fisherman who lives 7 miles from the river, or indeed the world leader who needs to take security considerations into account...

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
It's this desire not to be explicit (because there are too many different scenarios) that's ending up causing the problem. I think we're going to end up having a rule 'you can only drive 5 miles' or whatever. Which will wind up the surfer who lives 10 miles from the coast, or fisherman who lives 7 miles from the river, or indeed the world leader who needs to take security considerations into account...
Is that 5 miles as the crow flies or.....?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Who keeps a track of exactly how far away they are from base? I keep track of how many miles I've done and I can estimate how many miles I need to ride to get back by the way I plan. But how far away I am from base, little idea. I would imagine that for roadies, the distances they can travel per hour compared to an mtb makes it even harder. 7 miles is nothing.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles