Local bike shops

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Lot of folks post on here about the importance of a good LBS and recomend the importance of buying a bike from them as a must . It is so Geographical , I tried three local shops today in a thirty mile radius none could supply what I wanted. And to be honest were not that knowledgeable about the product it was I wanted . Just pointing out we don't all have that luxury. Hope brake pads hens teeth up here seemingly. 😬

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I have to find a different LBS every year because I move about so much. It’s a shame when I find a good one then have to move on. (y)
Yes it's nice to buy local but not practical where I am . Hard for shops as well they can't stock everything

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
You should concentrate on trying to find crap ones, then when you have to move on, you'll feel great about things !
Just looking to find one that sells the bits I need . My personal mechanic works offshore 3 on 3 off rota he had a bike business as a sideline so has all the special tools etc. Very good at doing it now rather than later . I find I struggle as I'm older but just managed setting up my new derailleur today after breakingit last Wednesday. Back brake goosed so I will be on flatter terrain today.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
A good LBS is a thing to be prized. The LBS I use is only 9 miles away and they are superb. I totally trust them to do a good job and when it comes to fitting new bits to choose the quality that I would have advised them to use if they had rung me up to ask. They are also very quick and very cheap £15/hour I think, but it may be less. I recommend them all the time, but I seldom find anything in there that I want to buy.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
A good LBS is a thing to be prized. The LBS I use is only 9 miles away and they are superb. I totally trust them to do a good job and when it comes to fitting new bits to choose the quality that I would have advised them to use if they had rung me up to ask. They are also very quick and very cheap £15/hour I think, but it may be less. I recommend them all the time, but I seldom find anything in there that I want to buy.

Agree but no bike shops at all within thirty miles near me . And if you wanted something done that you couldn't do yourself the waiting time is long. Aberdeen is horrendous waiting times and that's 60 miles away same with inverness. My friend is very obliging but if he's away I'm goosed. I need pistons for Hope brakes tried three shops no joy so he has Hope account and will order them. Bikes so different now special tools for this and that once upon a time I could have done most things but not nowadays . I was at a Mobile one yesterday but mostly road bikes. Not so much high end mtb dealers anywhere near me to be honest .

TR5_20

Nov 22, 2020
Scotland
Agree but no bike shops at all within thirty miles near me . And if you wanted something done that you couldn't do yourself the waiting time is long. Aberdeen is horrendous waiting times and that's 60 miles away same with inverness. My friend is very obliging but if he's away I'm goosed. I need pistons for Hope brakes tried three shops no joy so he has Hope account and will order them. Bikes so different now special tools for this and that once upon a time I could have done most things but not nowadays . I was at a Mobile one yesterday but mostly road bikes. Not so much high end mtb dealers anywhere near me to be honest .
I’m guessing by your user name that you are possibly in the Cullen/Buckie area? Have you tried this excellent shop in Speyside? Maybe a wee bit further than you’d like, but if you’re really stuck. Boat of Garten, Ride Scotland

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I’m guessing by your user name that you are possibly in the Cullen/Buckie area? Have you tried this excellent shop in Speyside? Maybe a wee bit further than you’d like, but if you’re really stuck. Boat of Garten, Ride Scotland
Yes I'm in Buckie no not been in there been in the one in Grantown. I don't mind travelling a bit . Aviemore as well tried Mike's a few times. Not often I'm stuck to be honest. Pistons ordered and Richard will be home today . So just do less steep stuff for a few rides. Cheers.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Agree but no bike shops at all within thirty miles near me . And if you wanted something done that you couldn't do yourself the waiting time is long. Aberdeen is horrendous waiting times and that's 60 miles away same with inverness. ....................
I used to use a nearer LBS (6 miles away in Grantham) but they refused to introduce a booking system. They wanted me to leave a bike and they'd let me know when it was ready - but it could be two weeks! I offered to bring the bike back in two weeks, but was told that would be jumping the queue! So, I went to one 9 miles away from me in Newark who did have a booking system. I would book it in, take it there on the appointed time and day and would normally be able to collect either the same day or occasionally the morning after.

Despite all bike shops being super busy during the pandemic, the first one closed early in 2022. How does that happen? Maybe their regular customers all moved away, like me. I guess that they were too busy restoring shed bikes for people that only took up biking when they were furloughed. When the pandemic restrictions stopped and they went back to work, most packed in the riding, leaving the LBS with little to do. Who knows?

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
We're quite lucky here in Glasgow, as we have 'Willy Bain bicycle repair', so doesnt sell stuff and is more the highly qualified, real bike mechanic. So can fix anything. And 'Big' Al Gow of wheelcraft, who sits all day building the best wheels you'll ever get.

I might use one of the other LBS's to buy something, but no way i would trust them to service or repair. I go to the two above and have done for the past 3 or so decades.
Problem is it cost a fair bit of time and money to gain the correct qualifications to be a professional bike mechanic, rather than a self taught with a bit of shop training, compared to someone who's primary trade is BM.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Yes it's not easy for bike shops or a lot of businesses nowadays to be honest. I had a local custom frame builder for many years did my repairs cheap as chips . Once I helped him chop wood as payment. So many special tools needed nowadays. Its nice to have a lbs . Got Halfords in Elgin . Highland cycles opened a shop there as well repaired my mates trek for a very low price .

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
I can't see any value in any local bike shops. When I got back into cycling as an adult, there were fewer online options and I wanted some advice to get started. So yeah, that had value. Since then? Why would I go back? It takes longer to load up and drive there than to do nearly anything on my bike. I bought the specialized tools for the cost of one service trip, and now I sit in the garage with my riding buddies, drink a beer, and have a good time wrenching. And when things come up where I need a part right now, they almost never have it anyway. Also I have to call during THEIR hours and waste time when I could just go to amazon.com and type it in, get it in 1-3 days.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles