Bike shops that accept trade in

fishcake

Sep 25, 2018
Yorkshire
Just wondering if anybody know of other bike shops that take used e-bikes against new.
I know Earnshaws in Huddersfield do.

Interested in any Specialized dealers that do this.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It's the future!
What is the biggest reason that people are put off buying a used emtb? They don't know where it's been and what it's been doing! Battery, motor, all could be about to go pear-shaped. If the bike shop could give a warranty, they could do well.

Kingfisher

Jun 3, 2019
Belgium
My local bike shop does trade ins, and offers a good deal. He has so much demand for a reputable supply of low cost eMTBs that he basically said: "bring me ALL the bikes".

Client retention, and he makes a profit margin on both sides of the sale. Why would you not offer trade-ins?

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
The issue that a shop like mine faces in taking Ebikes on trade, is warranty.
How do I offer a warranty on a bike that’s warranty is not transferable from the original owner?
Even if I thoroughly inspect the motor and battery and run diagnostics, it still won’t show how much abuse the owner inflicted or didn’t inflict upon these components.
I buy new bikes wholesale and sell retail. I can’t offer what is fair market value for a used Ebike because I need to sell it for that.
What can I offer to the owner that won’t be considered an insult, while selling at a fair price that covers my time and costs to refurbish the bike that I can make a profit on?
I also need to be able to cover my time for the aftercare that will be required after the sale, which could be considerable because the bike is used in the first place.
Half of the time in my workshop is spent diagnosing “phantom noises” on brand new bikes.
I see the benefits of second hand bikes, but these are hard questions I have to answer before a shop like mine can take Emtbs on trade.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Al Boneta Your points are all well made and very realistic. But that is why a used bike bought from someone like you is worth more to me than one bought off eBay. To make a car analogy, I would not expect to pay the same for a BMW bought from a back street dealer compared to the main dealer. There are reasons for this, it's called peace of mind and people will pay for that. I certainly will.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Good points Al. The way the car industry does this is to make sure that you have decent back up for repairs of things like motors and even batteries (for EMTB). This reduces the risk to the dealer, in addition the seller will be buying a new bike off you so expects less discount and also doesn’t mind taking a hit for the convenience.

I could see someone like a Specialized taking a lead here on ‘approved pre-owned’ too.

One day I could see leasing working as that’s why you see a lot of high end cars in younger owners hands these days but we all love owning our bikes so that’s a way off imo.

The idea that a £5000-£10000 bike is obsolete after two years is totally at odds with the times we are living in (climate crisis, re-assessment of ‘owning’ expensive items etc) - something will change as I can only see EMTB getting more popular.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Good points Al. The way the car industry does this is to make sure that you have decent back up for repairs of things like motors and even batteries (for EMTB). This reduces the risk to the dealer, in addition the seller will be buying a new bike off you so expects less discount and also doesn’t mind taking a hit for the convenience.

I could see someone like a Specialized taking a lead here on ‘approved pre-owned’ too.

One day I could see leasing working as that’s why you see a lot of high end cars in younger owners hands these days but we all love owning our bikes so that’s a way off imo.

The idea that a £5000-£10000 bike is obsolete after two years is totally at odds with the times we are living in (climate crisis, re-assessment of ‘owning’ expensive items etc) - something will change as I can only see EMTB getting more popular.
With the age of the “projected obsolescence” consumer culture we now find ourselves in, it’s hard to see a way out.
With companies like Apple telling you the phone you just got last year is a piece of shit and that you can’t live without the new one, people’s self worth is tied to the newest and latest gadget

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
There’s an element of truth in that, particularly around status wrapped up in ‘things’.

However, I see that changing fairly rapidly in the next few years. The bigger picture is that environmental issues are rising in importance day by day and even if consumer behaviour doesn’t change companies will want to signal their sustainable intentions.

Recycling and re-use are a big part of that.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
The issue that a shop like mine faces in taking Ebikes on trade, is warranty.
How do I offer a warranty on a bike that’s warranty is not transferable from the original owner?
Even if I thoroughly inspect the motor and battery and run diagnostics, it still won’t show how much abuse the owner inflicted or didn’t inflict upon these components.

I buy new bikes wholesale and sell retail. I can’t offer what is fair market value for a used Ebike because I need to sell it for that.
What can I offer to the owner that won’t be considered an insult, while selling at a fair price that covers my time and costs to refurbish the bike that I can make a profit on?
I also need to be able to cover my time for the aftercare that will be required after the sale, which could be considerable because the bike is used in the first place.
Half of the time in my workshop is spent diagnosing “phantom noises” on brand new bikes.
I see the benefits of second hand bikes, but these are hard questions I have to answer before a shop like mine can take Emtbs on trade.

Pretty much the same way used cars are bought and sold second hand, thorough inspection and price accordingly. Just like used cars, the majority never come back for warranty work within the warranty period, there will be the odd one that you lose money on but you gain on the ones that never come back, over time you always come out in front financially.

How do you know someone hasn’t flogged the feck out of a Mustang or an Audi or a BMW, inflicted abuse on the motor and drive train, you don’t!

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
How do you know someone hasn’t flogged the feck out of a Mustang or an Audi or a BMW, inflicted abuse on the motor and drive train, you don’t!
Yes this what I already said.

Pretty much the same way used cars are bought and sold second hand, thorough inspection and price accordingly. Just like used cars, the majority never come back for warranty work within the warranty period, there will be the odd one that you lose money on but you gain on the ones that never come back, over time you always come out in front financially.
I wish this were accurate, but I have customers that bring their brand new bikes in every time it makes a noise or squeak.
“Phantom noises” eat up a lot of time and most of the time it’s because the bike is dirty or they don’t lubricate the chain.
I am not going to commit my time and money to offer a warranty on bike that no longer has a manufacturer backed warranty.
Especially not when the people who do clean their bikes, do so with a power washer

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Yes this what I already said.

I wish this were accurate, but I have customers that bring their brand new bikes in every time it makes a noise or squeak.
“Phantom noises” eat up a lot of time and most of the time it’s because the bike is dirty or they don’t lubricate the chain.
I am not going to commit my time and money to offer a warranty on bike that no longer has a manufacturer backed warranty.
Especially not when the people who do clean their bikes, do so with a power washer

You missed my point, secondhand car dealers by law have to offer a warranty and they have no idea how the previous owner/owners have treated the car.

Ask a car dealership how many countless hours they waste on trying to fix a dash rattle on cars under warranty, interior rattles are one of a dealerships biggest waste of time and headache but somehow it is factored into the price of the car.

If you make enough cream out of the deal then providing a warranty shouldn’t be an issue.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles