List of reliable rear hubs

Hi to all, over here in Argentina, not many ebikes, but almost all of them with the same problem: rear hubs that are not up to the reliability needed on a ebike with the massive amount of torque they are used. So my list is:

-Ethirteen low spec: fails at 600km
-Sram low spec: fails at 900km
-Turbo levo comp: partially fails with 2000km, with minor work is riding again
-Novatec low spec: fails at 500km
-DT Swiss H1700 still rides like a charm with 6000km

What can you add to this list folks? I have a new rail 7 and already readed that the bontrager are failing also. So even with 40km on the odometer I'm searching for options, but my number one on the list is the DT Swiss 350 hybrid. Help me fill this list with fails and succes on rear hubs.

Gemini2k

Sep 9, 2019
Normal
Ebikes don’t do anything different in terms of wear and tear, just more. Any of the normal durable hubs will be fine: I9, Chris King, Hadley, dt Swiss 240/350, hope (less durable), etc.

Ebikes don’t do anything different in terms of wear and tear, just more. Any of the normal durable hubs will be fine: I9, Chris King, Hadley, dt Swiss 240/350, hope (less durable), etc.
Well I think the torque applied definitely is not easy on hubs, and maybe a hub that worked flawlessly on an acoustic bike will fail on a ebike, all of them eventually will fail. So my interest is see users results, kind of a poll. But with real numbers. So you can decide where to put your money, and where not.

Gemini2k

Sep 9, 2019
Normal
Well I think the torque applied definitely is not easy on hubs, and maybe a hub that worked flawlessly on an acoustic bike will fail on a ebike, all of them eventually will fail. So my interest is see users results, kind of a poll. But with real numbers. So you can decide where to put your money, and where not.

Yes exactly. The hubs that are most reliable on an acoustic bike should be the most reliable on an e-bike.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
The one fitted to my Raceface rear wheel was rubbish, failed (as in the pawls weren't engaging) twice, and then completely failed the third time by snapping the axle.

Now replaced with a DT Swiss 350, seems much better quality but time will tell I guess... ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yes stiv
I'm commenting :rolleyes: it's kinda what forums are for ;)

Instead of a pointless list of hub manufacturers (without even bothering to name which actual hub model you are talking about) with the word "failed" and stating an even more useless number of kms the hub failed at. How about actually detailing the source of failure and the actual use/abuse the hub has had? Kms alone mean very little.
Emtbs are ridden by massive variety of rider in a huge variety of conditions and in a multitude of riding styles.
The DT hub the OP is heralding as the number one Emtb hub is a fairly basic DT swiss 350. Yes they're pretty reliable. and pretty good value. But they do actually also fail. They're also a bit of a PITA to fully service when they do.
6000km on it's own really means very little.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
AJ8bL23BDNeBDV4DyseALTr5eAMfCDSSd5UBC5rXuJ-0bVntrwbu-Jb9-tK-w8l9cGFidJl-lTDW5BY_MmUIvrg123s0TUBqRIKBPNm1LoS3_027_K-GrbmMjOjsYUWpu3xv5u201A

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Hubs is one place ALL bike manufacturers have historically skimped on costs to meet model pricepoints. Hence cheaper (often less reliable) hubs commonly being used on full builds. Often the hub model chosen for these wheelsets is not even available as a stand alone product.
hubs are probably one of the last places, next to BBs (N/A to Emtb) and headsets prospective punters look when choosing a suitable spec bike.
Emtb is no different

PerseverantOne

Aug 31, 2022
United States
Hi to all, over here in Argentina, not many ebikes, but almost all of them with the same problem: rear hubs that are not up to the reliability needed on a ebike with the massive amount of torque they are used. So my list is:

-Ethirteen low spec: fails at 600km
-Sram low spec: fails at 900km
-Turbo levo comp: partially fails with 2000km, with minor work is riding again
-Novatec low spec: fails at 500km
-DT Swiss H1700 still rides like a charm with 6000km

What can you add to this list folks? I have a new rail 7 and already readed that the bontrager are failing also. So even with 40km on the odometer I'm searching for options, but my number one on the list is the DT Swiss 350 hybrid. Help me fill this list with fails and succes on rear hubs.
Beware who you listen to, I recommend doing what I did and calling each Hub Manufacturer & if no phone number e-mail Technical Support & sales. I have a Luna Cycles X2 V2 Ludicrous, which is a tuned M600 engine that I normally run between 250watts-1250watts but has a peak of 2000watts(will nearly overheat in about 5miles on throttle only during steep climbs.) at anything over 1250watts) But even ONYX with their SPRAG clutch won't back their hub with my bike. I said what if I kept it at 250watts-1250watts PAS, & tune the throttle down so I have to peddle to 7mph before engaging it, & that Onyx said their classic could handle. But I'd have to upgrade the Steel Race to Ceramic as well. I9, Hope Pro E-bike, Chris King, Project 321, they all said they won't back their hubs with my M600 mid-drive. Spank was the only one who it sparked a lively discussion that took weeks for technical staff to say, their E-bike hub is better than what I have & if I keep the Throttle tuned as I say it is, I should have no problem. But they also said they plan to build an even more ROBUST e-bike Hub for bikes like my Enduro that has 1000 watts or more of power & has a throttle. I have health issues which made me sell my Kawasaki Z1000, & I had to buy Electric Mountain Bike to keep up with my friends on analog. The throttle is for if I have an episode & can't peddle. So Finding Hubs has been Such a hell. I haven't talked to BITEX, or ETHIRTEEN yet. But SPANK HEX J-Type seem to be where I am leaning. The only company to guarantee their hubs with High powered & even higher torqued bikes than mine was DTSwiss. But I want =>100POE. AS you can see I have upgraded a lot but still have a long way to go. But the Raceface sprocket is meant for a bike running a 250 watt Shimano or Bosch motor, not an E-bike. But it's holding up very well. Which makes me believe there may be some high-end hubs besides Onyx that could handle the power & torque of my EMTB at its max. But Onyx won't warranty them on my bike. A guy at FANATIK bike builds, told me to take my wheel off and put it on another regular bike if the Onyx rear hub fails to keep their warranty. But that is dishonest & goes against my beliefs. It's been hell finding quality Hubs. If you find a bulletproof hub besides the 54t DTSWISS(a low POE), looking for 100POE+ please let me know. This hub situation is holding everything up for me. MY Buddy running Norco E-bike runs E-thirteen E*spec hubs. If that helps.

LUNA X2 new Raceface Bar & From front outside5-11-23.jpg LUNA X2 new Raceface Bar & Stem Side View5-11-23.jpg LUNA X2 new Raceface Bar & Stem Upclose5-11-23.jpg LUNA X2 new Raceface Bar & Stem5-11-23  From behind.jpg LUNA X2 new Raceface Bar & Stem5-11-23.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles