Lightweight builds

Mullerbikes

Jun 18, 2021
Dublin
Anyone know of any frames or builds that could be used in a lightweight/discrete build? Something along the lines of an orbea rise level of slim

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
If power isn't a priority and bafang motors intrigue you, perhaps the m200 series would be right up your alley.
Granted, I haven't looked up the M200 series in detail but, I know that it's designed for lighter eebs in mind.

I'll see if I can find frames available. Bare with me ??

Mullerbikes

Jun 18, 2021
Dublin
If power isn't a priority and bafang motors intrigue you, perhaps the m200 series would be right up your alley.
Granted, I haven't looked up the M200 series in detail but, I know that it's designed for lighter eebs in mind.

I'll see if I can find frames available. Bare with me ??
In fairness, I'd probably still go for the m500 for the 200g difference it's worth having. A smaller battery and downtube would be ideal.
The m800 would be an interesting one to do though

Last edited:

Animalector

Jan 2, 2021
Cairns, Australia
The hope is to find the best one here
My complete build including motor, battery, pedals, 27.5x2.8" beefy Maxxis Minions was 22.6kg that's with the M500 and 450Wh battery.
Not a 'featherweight' but not particularly heavy I only notice it when I try lifting the bike over a fence.. so usually I go under the fence.

Mullerbikes

Jun 18, 2021
Dublin
My complete build including motor, battery, pedals, 27.5x2.8" beefy Maxxis Minions was 22.6kg that's with the M500 and 450Wh battery.
Not a 'featherweight' but not particularly heavy I only notice it when I try lifting the bike over a fence.. so usually I go under the fence.
Any details on the frame and maybe a photo of the bike to see what parts you're using?

Animalector

Jan 2, 2021
Cairns, Australia
www.fangbikes.com
The Helm is NOT a lightweight fork. and everything else is not particularly light weight. but there you go.
In the bottom photo I am testing out a SR Suntour TriAir Rear shock, and seeing how a "Mullet" goes.. not bad.. but not so vastly different that I'm sold either way
FangBikesCompleteBuild.png

IMG_20201231_070940 (Large).jpg

Mullerbikes

Jun 18, 2021
Dublin

jtran69

Jan 9, 2021
CA
Karokonic had M800 and custom made bat below 400 Whr which is the lightest combo! I’m still looking for compatible frame.

Mullerbikes

Jun 18, 2021
Dublin
Karokonic had M800 and custom made bat below 400 Whr which is the lightest combo! I’m still looking for compatible frame.
Yeah I saw it but it would be great to find a frame that can take it straight or some mainstream adaptor

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
www.fangbikes.com
The Helm is NOT a lightweight fork. and everything else is not particularly light weight. but there you go.
In the bottom photo I am testing out a SR Suntour TriAir Rear shock, and seeing how a "Mullet" goes.. not bad.. but not so vastly different that I'm sold either way
View attachment 65606
View attachment 65607
Thats a sweet looking bike. Id be fine without changing a thing. World wide shipping too. I cant find a geo chart on that site though. Also its only a few hundred less $ than the new megawatt

jtran69

Jan 9, 2021
CA
I'm also looking for EP8, Brose, and Bosch which are lighter than Bafang motor for similar power rating. The Motor and battery kit are pretty much not available to the general public, likely for the frame as well :-(

Mullerbikes

Jun 18, 2021
Dublin
I'm also looking for EP8, Brose, and Bosch which are lighter than Bafang motor for similar power rating. The Motor and battery kit are pretty much not available to the general public, likely for the frame as well :-(
The hope is really that more brands start coming out with these type of ebike and the entry price starts coming down

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
For me the only lightweight build currently i think id be happy with is the orbea rise. I like the spesh sl bikes but they kind of take away a binch ot my days that id be out looking to climb tech wet rooty climbs or climbing trails that would otherwise be hike a bike. The tourque isnt there on those bikes. The levo sl is further limited on dh tracks. The rise only has 10nm less tourque than my decoy and its 15lbs lighter so it should be close to the capability of my decoy and the long stroke/mulket mod on the rise is a quick swap for park duty. I see the benefit of these sl bikes and i would like one as a second bike but not at the expensre of my full power bike.
I like the looks of the husqvarna line up. The ep8 equipped 150/160 mullet bike is only 1000cad more than i paid for my 2021 commencal meta am29 and i thought that was a great deal. I could have both the 150/160 and 180 huskies in place of my meta enduro bike and my decoy emtb.

Sparky DH

May 10, 2021
NH, USA
My 27.5" will be around 45 lbs / 20 kg by an estimate; currently at 24 lbs exactly without the motor/crank/pedals/chain. I did go with hardtail though but did add a suspension seat. I could probably shave a pound off if I went with Fox Step Cast but they're like $1K just for the fork of course which I can't justify right now. I personally like the stiffer setup and have no plans to hit crazy trails either so for now, it'll be light enough for me...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles