Lights

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Another vote for Exposure here. They're very expensive, so you need to be sure you will use them (keep an eye out, there are some cracking deals online from time to time), but I ride about 5 hours a week at night all winter and my MaXx-D (4000 lumen for bars - 3h on full reflex) and Zenith (1000 lumen at half power giving 2h / 6h) are utterly reliable and have a great light spread.

My personal preference is to not have too much light on my head, reflections from trees become distracting. I prefer to have longer battery life and use the two modes to switch between 1000 lumens for descending and about 350 or so the rest of the time (IMO the 'tap' function is horrible, but some mates like it).

EDIT: WOW the prices have gone up!! Yeah, you really need to look for a deal and I'd certainly shop around for other options if you can't find one.

Anders

Subscriber
Oct 11, 2023
Norway
I could add that I plan to power my Lumonite off the Haibike's battery. I use it fixed to the handlebar on the Haibike, but on the helmet on the enduro (motorbike)

BIG-DUKE-6

Feb 21, 2023
Usa
Most high lumen night riding lights are not compatible with the bike battery and must use their own power source . Ok with marker “ safety “ lights

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Another fan of exposure Maxx D and Diablo , expensive but they hold their value for a long time . I’ve seen 10 year old ones going for over half price .
My tip is buy in summer !

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
I heard about four4th lights recently, they do look very good, and they have a range of different styles.

They might be worth checking out, I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has one (y)

I was looking at the E almighty, which I believe can run off the Bosch smart system

The E Almighty

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I'd normally say Exposure,6 pack or maxx-D, but that Lumonite Navigator looks pretty damn good. But can you actually get it in the UK ?. If not then you're going to be adding import/handling/tax tax tax to the price.

Alternatively.... Magicshine Monteer 12000 :oops: At that power it will probably vaporize small insects.

Last edited:

Anders

Subscriber
Oct 11, 2023
Norway
Most high lumen night riding lights are not compatible with the bike battery and must use their own power source . Ok with marker “ safety “ lights
My (smart) Bosch Performanceline CX is capable of 18W output in 12V as I understand it. I have a Lumonite DC-DC converter that takes 12V input and outputs a voltage suitable for the light. I plan to hide the DC-DC inside the frame somewhere, if I find space for it. The Lumonite is 25W at its highest setting, so I would have to avoid that (or carry the Lumonite battery in those cases).

Using it with the DC-DC converter is mostly for commuting. If I really need full output (going offroad) I will have to carry the Lumonite battery in my jacket as I do now.

LeftItLancs

Apr 12, 2021
North UK
Moon Canopus, 4000 Lumen.

Quality piece of gear, bought half price on eBay a few years ago. A separate battery unit and remote switch, modes can also be personalized.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Thanks for replys few to think about isn't there, be busy looking at the options tonight thanks
Just checked out Outbound Lighting’s site, they’re having a Black Friday sale. You can get the DH Evo package for £277 plus another £130 or so for shipping/import/VAT fees. I paid £650 for the Exposure Six Pack/Diablo combo so that’s a steal in my eyes.

BIG-DUKE-6

Feb 21, 2023
Usa

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
I used the Gloworm X2 and Alpha for years and they were fantastic. When it was time to buy something else (theft) I opted for Exposure Maxx D & Diablo Sync. Main benefit is the all in one design - ie no external battery. Only downside is to program the remote, you need a degree in computer science...not user friendly at all, unlike the Gloworrm remote.

If anyone can talk me through the Exposure remote setup, I'd love to hear it.

aimage

Jul 8, 2021
New Zealand
Thanks for all advice on here I've decided to go for the magicshine as found a 25%off which made it a steal
Ended up going for the monteer 6500
Hopefully come for weekend
Make sure you get the v2 for which you can get an optional handlebar remote. I find that very handy on my setup. Actually.. might just be the 8000 model that works with the remote.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022
UK
Anyone got any recommendations for a good light?
I thought minimum 3000lmns, 2 hrs minimum runtime
Moon Meteor Storm and Vortex lights are good value for money. You get about 2 1/2 hours out of them on full intensity.
Any of the Magicshine Monteer lights are good too, especially if you need a bit more endurance, they do everything from 2000 - 12000 lumen models.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
What are the lumens on the outbound? Like 2000 lumens I think. But they’re not nearly as bright as Magicshine which has lights up to 12,000 lumens and with longer run times.

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
What are the lumens on the outbound? Like 2000 lumens I think. But they’re not nearly as bright as Magicshine which has lights up to 12,000 lumens and with longer run times.
Lumens aren't as important as the marketing folks make them out to be. The quality of the beam goes a lot further to make the light usable.

I swapped from a Gemini unit with all the lumens and much prefer the outbound setup for trail riding.

D

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles