Lights?

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I've searched but mainly seeing posts for lights hard wired to the bike battery.
I'm looking for a good bar mounted light backed up with a helmet mounted one for local off piste trails.
Any suggestions?

Kilham5

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Mar 12, 2020
North Yorkshire
How often are you going to use them?

£55 on a Halfords Advance 1600 or £70 Magicshine Allty 1500 for the bars and £55 on a Moon Meteor Vortex Pro 1300 for the lid.
The Moon comes with a helmet mount for £55 and is nice and light, so you don't need a Mike Tyson neck to support it.

They are not going to win in a pissing contest against Mega Night Sun 5000's blah, blah.

But unless someone in you party totally pisses on your eyes natural low light abilities (using said Mega Night Sun 5000's), they are actually really good. Serious bang for buck, and certainly good enough for the amount of time most folk actually spend riding in the woods on dark winter evenings.

Moon Meteor Vortex Pro Front Bike Light | Chain Reaction Cycles

Halfords Advanced 1600 Lumen Front Bike Light | Halfords UK

I keep an old helmet with the Moon permanently attached, and the Halfords 1600 fits to the bars in seconds.
No faffing around when you spontaneously fancy a quick night ride.

A tiny Lezyne Micro Drive 600XL slips in the back pocket as a back-up to get me out of the woods, should either fail.

Or follow the advice that follows advocating the tree melting power afforded by said Mega Night Sun 5000 at considerably more money.
(I would imagine for most, the novely of night riding in winter quickly wears off. so save the money for beer)

Last edited:

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I've searched but mainly seeing posts for lights hard wired to the bike battery.
I'm looking for a good bar mounted light backed up with a helmet mounted one for local off piste trails.
Any suggestions?
Depends how and what you ride, I was happy for years using magicshine lights but wanted to swap to lights without seperate battery packs.
I bought the lifeline ones on CRC and they were fine but do have limitations.
I now run the stupidly expensive but unbelievably good Exposure lights (sixpack and Diablo) but that's because of where/how/long we ride.

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
Along similar lines with bike lights, we've started looking for lighted bike pedals. I thought that there would be some magnetic induction pedals available, but clearly there must be something with the physics that prohibits using the turning motion of the pedals to power a small LED light, because the only thing we could find was this, which must be charged.

It's a great idea, but are there any engineers here that know why mag-induc lighted bike pedals aren't a thing?

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
How often are you going to use them?

£55 on a Halfords Advance 1600 or £70 Magicshine Allty 1500 for the bars and £55 on a Moon Meteor Vortex Pro 1300 for the lid.
The Moon comes with a helmet mount for £55 and is nice and light, so you don't need a Mike Tyson neck to support it.

They are not going to win in a pissing contest against Mega Night Sun 5000's blah, blah.

But unless someone in you party totally pisses on your eyes natural low light abilities (using said Mega Night Sun 5000's), they are actually really good. Serious bang for buck, and certainly good enough for the amount of time most folk actually spend riding in the woods on dark winter evenings.

Moon Meteor Vortex Pro Front Bike Light | Chain Reaction Cycles

Halfords Advanced 1600 Lumen Front Bike Light | Halfords UK

I keep an old helmet with the Moon permanently attached, and the Halfords 1600 fits to the bars in seconds.
No faffing around when you spontaneously fancy a quick night ride.

A tiny Lezyne Micro Drive 600XL slips in the back pocket as a back-up to get me out of the woods, should either fail.

Or follow the advice that follows advocating the tree melting power afforded by said Mega Night Sun 5000 at considerably more money.
(I would imagine for most, the novely of night riding in winter quickly wears off. so save the money for beer)
Beer it is then...

20211011_204959.jpg

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
I'm using an exposure diablo on my lid, good light but the battery doesn't last long on full power (~1hr if that).
I've had cheap ebay solarstorms with separate battery packs on my bars and have always been impressed for the money. The batteries are often old laptop batteries though so you don't usually get more than a year or two out of them, but cheap to replace.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
After years of working up to it, I now ride a Mk 13 MaaxD on the bars and I have a Zeneth on order for the helmet as the run times match.

Incredibly spendy, but fabulous lights that run for a genuine 3 hours minimum at full whack, and I ride 3 times a week all winter in the dark so for me it's well worth it. You can essentially ride at the same pace as you would in the day.

Mr Dog

Sep 26, 2021
Switzerland
I have been using the the Lezyne 1800i this year after I bought a 1600xxl for my wife last year. I had one of the really old Exposure lights (12 years old probably) but after riding with my wife behind me and finding that her light was lighting up more of the trail ahead of me than mine was, I decided to pick up one myself as they are pretty cheap. I picked up the extra bar mount as the standard rubber strap thing kept allowing the light to slip down. Price vs. output vs. quality seem pretty good. I can easily do my power hour on full in the pitch black and still have a good 50% charge left. Last week I also picked up a Leyzene classic drive 700XL to mount on my helmet. I am super impressed. It is a bit heavier on the helmet than I hoped but its way better than the Petzel head torch that I was previously using. Again full power for 1 hour is using in the region of 50%. I could use more light but to be honest with this set up I can ride pretty much as hard in the dark as I can in the day. Admittedly I know the trails very well. Down side is standard USB charging takes a few hours and I have not given the lights a real beating yet so cant comment on durability. Good bang for buck though.

Kema

Aug 7, 2021
Stockholm, Sweden
I just got a Magicshine ME-2000 with cable for Shimano. €78 incl shipping to Sweden.
I also have the smaller Magicshine ( don't know the name but they sell for roughly €30) on my helmet.

IMG_20211014_192453.jpg

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
The thing I'd like to understand more about these wired in ebike lights is how much do they draw, as battery power = range and so I'd be interested to know how much range i'd be losing were I to fit one :unsure:

I was thinking of having fitted an Exposure Fuse e-light

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I am doing a light comparison next week.

I have:
- Cheapo Amazon Light (6000 lumens 🤣) £25
- MagicShine Monteer 6500 (6500 lumens) £280
- Magicshine 906SE Ebike wired light: (unto 4500 lumens) £139
- Exposure Six Pack (5000 lumens max) £439

Want to work out the sweet spot / bang for buck for a decent light for night riding. I have been using the wired to the battery bike light (906SE) and its no hassle, get on and ride is really decent, but will see how the more powerful ones compare.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles