Levo, when I stop pedaling, the motor doesn't for a bit

Bryan Wells

Jul 31, 2019
Washington
The only gripe I have with the Brose s mag motor is that it has the same issue cheap ebay ebike kits have, they keep pushing after you clearly stopped pedaling. It's not a huge deal when you have the support level set below 40% but as you crank it up higher lets say 75% the bike charges forward after you stop pedaling, some times for up to a whole crank revolution. This can be super sketchy when I am in ridge line trails.

I wonder if Spesh could fix this with a software update such as (no crank user torque means STOP the motor output) but instead they seem to use a cadence sensor for deactivation in which can and does have a massive delay because it's biased on an old magnetic disk spinning around a sensor design.

thoughts?

Bryan Wells

Jul 31, 2019
Washington
My 19 Levo does same thing. Got used to it ?
All the levo’s do it, I know:/ I just hope Spesh could fix it. They seemed to have listened to us and updated the mission app to have “profiles” for the settings now (THANK YOU SPECIALIZED)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
At high power settings the momentum added to the bike can often be mistaken for the motor continuing to operate. Momentum will not instantly decay. Also whilst you may have stopped pedalling you may still be applying torque on a standing pedal. Having acceleration set above zero also reduces the influence of cadence over torque at low cadences.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
I noticed this on my test ride of the Levo. I was all set to take delivery (the test ride was to confirm my choice) but this was one small reason I didn’t go with that. I like playing around in tight situations and this behaviour is a big disadvantage then. The e8000-based bike I have has no such trait.

All that said it’s possible I could have got used to it like others.

Alan Yeung

Jul 9, 2019
Ottawa, ON, Canada
I noticed this on my test ride of the Levo. I was all set to take delivery (the test ride was to confirm my choice) but this was one small reason I didn’t go with that. I like playing around in tight situations and this behaviour is a big disadvantage then. The e8000-based bike I have has no such trait.

All that said it’s possible I could have got used to it like others.
When approaching tight sections, I find switching to eco-mode and/or using a lower gear helps mitigate this issue.

Bryan Wells

Jul 31, 2019
Washington
no
At high power settings the momentum added to the bike can often be mistaken for the motor continuing to operate. Momentum will not instantly decay. Also whilst you may have stopped pedalling you may still be applying torque on a standing pedal. Having acceleration set above zero also reduces the influence of cadence over torque at low cadences.
dude, i'm 100% sure this is not what is going on here, tested many times, this aint no momentum, you could even be backpedaling and hear the motor climbing it's ass off XD

phlodge

Jul 2, 2019
UK
All the levo’s do it, I know:/ I just hope Spesh could fix it. They seemed to have listened to us and updated the mission app to have “profiles” for the settings now (THANK YOU SPECIALIZED)

Hi Bryan, come again with updated mission app and profiles. Hadnt noticed them and bike just come from a service, am I missing something. Thanks

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
... It's not a huge deal when you have the support level set below 40% but as you crank it up higher lets say 75% the bike charges forward after you stop pedaling, some times for up to a whole crank revolution. This can be super sketchy when I am in ridge line trails....

Hi @Bryan Wells - a few thoughts on this one relating to the Levo 2019 with Brose 2.1 Smag motor: -

1) Which motor FW are you running? A few times we've found that retailers haven't checked for a FW update. Mission Control DIAGNOSE will show you, latest FW should be 6.1.0.
2) As another poster mentioned, check with ACC Response and Shuttle mode set to 0% - does this still happen?
3) Check your drivetrain (rear freewheel, chain, cassette etc) are clean and lubed. Pressure on the torque sensor in the motor can be increased by extra friction in the drive train. If this only happens when the bike is really dirty/dusty it could be the cause.

The expected behaviour is that the motor stops assisting within 200ms of the crank being stopped (completely stopped) - at 25KPH this is around 2m of travel so in practice you will still notice some brief support.

Hope that helps but if you don't feel the above addresses the issue please try to add a little more detail - thanks.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
I had a 2018 sworks and currently on a 2019 expert. The 2018 did it all the time, and like you said, extremely frustrating and dangerous on narrow, technical areas...where im trying to trackstand or to balance...

0-500km milege...it happened rarely, 500-1000km, it started happening more frequently, We had a group ride with the Head of turbo last year, when i mentioned it to him, he said yes, it happends and is within tolerance

with my newer 2019....currently at under 500km...it hasnt happened yet

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Oh so technically a moped then. Make sure you have road tax, insurance, MOT, crash helmet and a drivers licence ?
Hahah I do have insurance on the bike and I have a nice Troy Lee full face.
Yeah definitely not with in specs that’s for sure but a welcomed break after a long hard climb.
Another reason to buy a Kenevo!

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
I like a tiny amount because when I have to pedal through rocks I sometimes need to level the pedals to clear the rocks, but like a fraction of a second continuation of assists to keep me going when I am not able to pedal. The 200ms sounds ok.

derby

Feb 2, 2019
San Anselmo, California
This 'power run on after pedaling stops' does not happen at all with my 2018 Levo, nor to my riding buddy's same year Levo. Sounds dangerous for technically difficult trails!

Last edited:

Oldnomad52

Apr 29, 2019
Wanaka, New Zealand
My 2019 Levo does it as well, very noticeable in turbo but not so in trail. I've got used to it and dont do any technical riding in turbo as to much power and dangerous with wheel spins and front end trying to throw you over the back. Back pedal slightly going into the corner should kill the support instantly.

Gyro

Jan 5, 2019
Auckland NZ
I had the same issue in Turbo mode which was a pain on technical wet climbs.
The dealer replaced the motor and now it's as it should be, they suspected a sensor in the motor.
All the replies in the above regarding drivetrain and momentum I think are incorrect. Luckily here in NZ the brand is very well supported.
I would make warranty claim, as I did.

Last edited:

Oldnomad52

Apr 29, 2019
Wanaka, New Zealand
I had the same issue which was a pain on technical wet climbs.
The dealer replaced the motor and now it's as it should be, they suspected a sensor in the motor.
All the replies in the above regarding drivetrain and momentum I think are incorrect. Luckily here in NZ the brand is very well supported.
I would make warranty claim, as I did.
Hi so after your motor replacement you have no support after you stop pedaling. And it's the same regardless of support setting.
Cheers

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
This power run on after pedaling stops does not happen at all with my 2018 Levo, nor to my riding buddy's same year Levo. Sounds dangerous for technically difficult trails!

FBAD0399-E6DA-4B89-96F7-27409FB32B60.jpeg

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I find my Levo does that slightly when in Turbo mode only. To be honest, I like it as the only time I am in turbo is on steep climbs that if I hesitated for a micro second I would be heading backwards so this helps.
My e8000 does not do it at all and the Bosch CX I tried did it on all settings.
LBS tells me you can tune it out.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
On my 2018 Levo there is absolutely no run on when I stop pedaling, I would really HATE if my motor did so.

Karsten

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think this has been answered. The motor disengages in 200 ms...ie a fifth of a second. At 10 mph ( c 4.5m/s) that means you will cover very nearly 1 metre after you stop pedalling. I suspect that is only really noticeable under high current draw by the motor so mostly in Turbo. You soon learn to adjust to that additional impetus when on technical ascents in the same way you learn to brake a little earlier than you would on a lighter analogue bike.

Bryan Wells

Jul 31, 2019
Washington
yeah, but some time you can loop the heck out on practically flat surfaces........ not exactly a natural experience...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles