Levo, when I stop pedaling, the motor doesn't for a bit

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Yeah somethings not right on that one. I thought my Kenevo with a 3 second over run was bad. This one takes the prize!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Yeah somethings not right on that one. I thought my Kenevo with a 3 second over run was bad. This one takes the prize!
On your kenevo it's called run over, not over run.. it gives you that extra boost to drive through trees and shrubs and removes the option of ever chickening out... ?

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
It is worth pointing out that the sensors pick up both torque and cadence - occasionally you may still be slightly pedaling even though you feel you've slowed significantly, so a one-off slightly delayed reaction from your motor is non-conclusive (i.e. less than a second - the cut-off is 200ms i.e. 0.2seconds but actually judging this whilst riding is admittedly hard).

Bottom-line - anyone with intermittent over-run longer than this should definitely contact their retailer - rider safety is of paramount importance. Two to three seconds or occasionally "looping out" (as one poster wrote) is not according to design specification and indeed indicates a sensor issue that requires calibration or motor replacement.

Bryan Wells

Jul 31, 2019
Washington
Here's my story.

The 1st week of ownership was bliss. Moving from a 2016 to the 2019 was such a major upgrade.

The 2nd week was a little concerning. The power continuation was getting more noticeable. I came to the forum and commented.

The 3rd week was when the problem was serious enough to cause an accident and I returned the bike. I was given a new motor, although I would have preferred a new bike as I don't like $12k toys that have been crashed.

The new motor seems OK, I've only got 1 ride on it.

Click this for a video you can watch.

Make sure you go all the way to 35 seconds in the video, that's when it gets fun.
this is exactly my issue, when i ride it i can "Cheat" hard and spin the cranks 10rpm slowly yet it's pushing to 20mph lol and holding it there!

thanks for chiming in @Specialized Rider Care

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
Here's my story.

The 1st week of ownership was bliss. Moving from a 2016 to the 2019 was such a major upgrade.

The 2nd week was a little concerning. The power continuation was getting more noticeable. I came to the forum and commented.

The 3rd week was when the problem was serious enough to cause an accident and I returned the bike. I was given a new motor, although I would have preferred a new bike as I don't like $12k toys that have been crashed.

The new motor seems OK, I've only got 1 ride on it.

Click this for a video you can watch.

Make sure you go all the way to 35 seconds in the video, that's when it gets fun.

Yikes! It seems that eBike controllers in general might need additional sensors for safety reasons in case the torque sensor fails; for instance, a pedal cadence sensor to turn off the motor power when the motor is freewheeling or a brake sensor to shut down when brake force is applied. A single failure in the torque sensor, a stuck analog to digital converter, or stuck bit(s) in the ADC shouldn’t result in unintended acceleration and these failure modes are possible on all torque-sensing eBikes.

I almost always ride with my index finger resting on the brakes, which I set up nearly horizontal but I shouldn’t have to.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
My stupid simple Bafang on my Commuter bike got a brake safety switch, I would not want that on my emtb as there is a slight delay before it comes on again.

Karsten

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
It is worth pointing out that the sensors pick up both torque and cadence - occasionally you may still be slightly pedaling even though you feel you've slowed significantly, so a one-off slightly delayed reaction from your motor is non-conclusive (i.e. less than a second - the cut-off is 200ms i.e. 0.2seconds but actually judging this whilst riding is admittedly hard).

Bottom-line - anyone with intermittent over-run longer than this should definitely contact their retailer - rider safety is of paramount importance. Two to three seconds or occasionally "looping out" (as one poster wrote) is not according to design specification and indeed indicates a sensor issue that requires calibration or motor replacement.

I’ve seen a problem like this in an unrelated product where the signal gain to the ADC was off and the sensor output was highly stepped; in other words this could be a systematic problem or bug.

You should exercise due diligence and be very alert to the possibility that this isn’t an isolated incident but is instead a systemic problem; i.e software bug or factory calibration problem. Speaking as an engineer with decades of design and manufacturing experience. This might not make you very popular with Specialized but better to be safe than sorry.

SmackIt

Jul 21, 2019
Reno
Brake sensor on an eMTB would be terrible. I know of many situations where it's advantageous to be pedaling and braking at the same time.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
They are fitted by law on S Pedelecs due to the higher speed…….keep derestricting your bikes and it could happen to pedelecs!!

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona
Just found that thread. You might want to watch the video of me on my Kenevo yesterday with a fresh replacement motor after the former one broke. Compared to the others here I think thats a new level.

(Yes, that's uphill)

@Specialized Rider Care Are there any news since last year when you replied? My dealer said he never saw the issue before. Are local distributors or field sales engineers informed about it? And is there a fixed available or is it still changing the motor until you catch one that accidently works?

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Just found that thread. You might want to watch the video of me on my Kenevo yesterday with a fresh replacement motor after the former one broke. Compared to the others here I think thats a new level.

(Yes, that's uphill)

@Specialized Rider Care Are there any news since last year when you replied? My dealer said he never saw the issue before. Are local distributors or field sales engineers informed about it? And is there a fixed available or is it still changing the motor until you catch one that accidently works?

Wow that could be a bit sketchy.

Gyro

Jan 5, 2019
Auckland NZ
I had same issue which got worse as time went on making technical climbs a pain.
Motor replaced under warranty as it was a sensor problem. Then the motor stripped its belt and now on 3rd motor.
Specialized very good at supporting their product, so no complaints.
Andrew

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia

(Yes, that's uphill)

New motor. I just had mine replaced for the same issue.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Are you arguing with yourself?

I want previous rusty to chime in and say how much he likes the small chain ring in the gen2
I detested it. I really did not find riding the earlier Bosch enjoyable at all - which is why I went Shimano.

Oh, and stop taking the piss - I am the supposed to be doing that to you ..... mon deiu, sacré bleu and all that stuff ..........

May 25, 2020
Scotland
So this just happened to me, I have a 2020 Turbo Levo(base model) after doing a technical trail I suspected the motor wasn't cutting out after I realized pressure from the pedals, once I had stopped, I lifted the back wheel up and spun the pedal slowly with my hand, then let go, as expected the motor continued to power for a second or so after.

It's not an issue to ride unless its a technical trail, however, it's only 2 weeks old with under 200 miles so I want it to be fixed ASAP, in your guy's experience how long did it take to fix? and is there any other symptoms it will develop if left as it is for a while?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Try also setting all your defaults in Misson Control back to normal. Just select Presets in settings and it should set everything back.

If that doesn't make any difference then you'll possibly need the motor exchanging. This is normally quite quick, but with the present Covid situation and reduced staffing numbers/ delivery delays expect it to be longer.

May 25, 2020
Scotland
Thanks for the reply, iv tried the default preset with no luck, unfortunately. called my LBS they have said they'll have a look at it when I get the time to go to them, however, that could be a week or so as I'm busy working atm. looks like ill be out riding for a while:cry:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles