Levo Gen 2 Levo terrible experience 2 motors and 1 module & awful customer service

Egregor

Oct 4, 2018
Florida
Well yesterday my 2nd Turbo Levo motor blew up...I bought a 12k Sworks Levo almost 2 years ago and yes its a great bike but its been a nightmare in terms of motor issues and related...

Last year the original motor stopped working with a very loud noise inside when engaging, my bike shop talked to Specialized and they told them they will ship a new one, supposodle the 2021 new motor since my model had some issues and were being recalled. Of course with warranty. Well they lasted 2 months to send the new one....frustrated to dont be able to use your 12.000$ bike for that time is incredible...

Well The new motor worked until yesterday !!...after just 5 months of use, same noise same issue...and it was on the road not on the mountain, and i am a guy that uses the levo in ECO (15% assitance) for about 70/80% of the ride , almost never in turbo mode ....

Also in between the faulty motors the center module just stopped working also and they had to send a new one!!!.....

I understand parts can be damaged, but the most frustating issue is the waiting times to receive the replacements under warranty and all time lost with such and expensive bike...i love the Levo (when it works) , i thinks is the best emtb out there (when it works) but this is the last time i buy a emtb from Specialized....lets see now how many months ill have to wait for THIRD motor in less than 2 years

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
FWIW I don't think riding in Turbo mode has anything to do with the motor issues. You should feel free to use it and/or don't feel bad for doing so.

What do you mean by "blew up"? Was it the failed belt noise?

Some early belt failures were caused by an inferior belt. The continued belt failure issue is caused by a poor bearing interface. The bearings are not captured and so can move over time, which causes the belt to shift and get eaten. No don't ask me to provide a source :)

Your lead time for replacement parts sounds abnormal though. My two motor replacements happened on site; i.e. they had the motors in stock. I have heard of some shops being out of stock for a few days, but not 2 months. Specialized has been REALLY easy to deal with so far, but I know the experience can vary from shop to shop too. Anyway just wanted to point out that doesn't sound normal at all.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Performance bearings sell upgrade kits for BROSE .
Steel cage bearings instead of plastic cages . Extra added seals to stop dust and water ingress .

The belts were a problem . The sprag clutch / bearing is another weakness . Also right hand crank seal allows dirt to enter the bearings . My current issue , grinding when pedaling backwards .

Be aware . Opening the BROSE motor case will void warranty .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles