Levo Gen 2 customer service based off of 2nd owner levo experience.

seacapn

Aug 20, 2020
california
I am shocked at how my local specialized dealer has treated me in regards to the fact I bought a private party 2019 levo comp carbon off Craigslist. Apparently all warranty issues in regards to my levo are only for the original owner. I was charged 55 dollars to change 1 spoke and apparently it would have been covered if I was the original owner. This dealer is so stuck on the fact he didn't get to sell me a brand new bike and has a attitude about the whole re sell market of used bikes. I guess he doesn't realize that my wife and all our friends could end up buying bikes from him. Friggin horrible business plan. I have been in his shop twice and have spent over 300 bucks in the past week. I dont get this mind set? Service is were the money is at not the front side of a new bike sale. It really devalues the product line to have a essentially brand new bike that a manufacture won't stand behind if it gets resold to a second owner with in its original manufacture warranty . Does not make sense at all. Stand behind what you build Specialized and tell you dealers to get there head out of there asses!!!!!!!

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
There is a 4 year transferable warranty on the motor if you have the original receipt.
But other than that it’s on you if anything else breaks.
I don’t understand why you would feel entitled to a free spoke replacement if you didn’t buy the bike from that shop.
He’s supposed to eat the cost of the parts and labor on a bike he didn’t even sell?
How is that a successful business plan?
You said “Service is where the money is at”
But you wanted the retailer to give you free service.
The mindset of “my wife and all our friends are would buy bikes from him” doesn’t entitle you
to free service now, when they haven’t made a purchase.
He might very well be a prick. I don’t know. Everyone can have a bad day, both the customers and the bike shop employees.
We’ve all had off days.
Nothing worse than trying to figure out how you’re going to give a loyal employee a raise when you have someone trying to shake you down with yelp blackmail for free service they are not entitled to.

Having said all of that, my shop treats our clients the same wether they bought an S-Works or a base model Levo second hand. There have been plenty of times I have had Specialized take care of bikes that were out of warranty or bought second hand. When the customer is respectful of my business and take accountability for their actions on the bike, we always go above and beyond for them.
But when someone comes in expecting free service, tells me what I am going to do for them or makes up some bullshit excuse for the damage their bike has endured, well I try to be polite and respectful, explain what the warranty will cover and won’t cover.
I explain what the labor costs are.
I’ll even submit a warranty claim if they calm the fuck down.
But when diplomacy fails, I’ll politely explain to them that we cannot accommodate them.
When that fails, I tell them not so politely.
When they try to blackmail me with Yelp
I tell them to do whatever they feel they need to do, but we will not service their bike.

Errol1098

Jul 8, 2018
Sydney Australia
this is off the spec website:

If you are a subsequent owner, meaning you are the second or later owner, and not the original retail purchaser, the following applies:
  • 2-year Warranty from the date of original retail purchase for the following Specialized-branded Products: frames and framesets, including paint and graphics, components, equipment, shoes, helmets, and Roval wheels. This also includes cobranded suspension parts such as BRAIN equipped forks and shocks, and motors and other drive system components on electric bicycles.
  • Specialized-branded batteries equipped on electric bicycles: 2-year Warranty from the date of original retail purchase or up to 300 charging cycles, whichever occurs first. The batteries are designed to retain up to 75% of their original capacity during that time.
  • Specialized-branded apparel and items not otherwise specifically covered: 1-year Warranty from the date of original retail purchase.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Since spokes are part of Roval wheels (you still have original Roval wheelset, don't you?) they should be covered under warranty even if you are not original owner. But it also depends on how that spoke broke, if there are signs of damage caused by a crash then sure it will not be covered under warranty.

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
I am shocked at how my local specialized dealer has treated me in regards to the fact I bought a private party 2019 levo comp carbon off Craigslist. Apparently all warranty issues in regards to my levo are only for the original owner. I was charged 55 dollars to change 1 spoke and apparently it would have been covered if I was the original owner. This dealer is so stuck on the fact he didn't get to sell me a brand new bike and has a attitude about the whole re sell market of used bikes. I guess he doesn't realize that my wife and all our friends could end up buying bikes from him. Friggin horrible business plan. I have been in his shop twice and have spent over 300 bucks in the past week. I dont get this mind set? Service is were the money is at not the front side of a new bike sale. It really devalues the product line to have a essentially brand new bike that a manufacture won't stand behind if it gets resold to a second owner with in its original manufacture warranty . Does not make sense at all. Stand behind what you build Specialized and tell you dealers to get there head out of there asses!!!!!!!

How did the spoke break?

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Are you running tubeless? If so changing a spoke is not as simple or as quick as it may at first appear. Even a wheel with tubes will require stripping down, disc or cassette or both off and all cleaned up, spoke replaced, wheel tensioned and trued.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Are you running tubeless? If so changing a spoke is not as simple or as quick as it may at first appear. Even a wheel with tubes will require stripping down, disc or cassette or both off and all cleaned up, spoke replaced, wheel tensioned and trued.
Exactly - this was explained in the OP's other thread about his broken spoke: it might be a bigger job than it first appears.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
The US warranty explicitly excludes spokes from cover, in the "wear and tear" section.

warranty.jpg

The OP's spoke failed over 1000 miles in...

Infex

Jan 20, 2020
Tessenderlo, Belgium
I've had the same issue with my 2019 levo. Bought it off a friend and I had the original invoice from the bike.
After my second ride the rear axle snapped, taking with it, the derailler, derailler hanger and leaving some nasty marks on the rear of the frame.
After a lengty discussion my LBS (a specialized concept store mind you) they agreed to replace the rear wheel under warranty, the derailler, cassette and repair of the frame damage were paid in full by myself. I myself am in the profession of warranty handling for a known truck brand.
In all cases i've encountered in the last 5 years of doing my job, I have NEVER let a customer pay for secondary damage to their truck because of a production error on a part. In some cases we are talking about €30k+ in secondary damages, even if the truck was bought second hand, but still covered under warranty...

Also, everyone seems to think the LBS is the one who has to swallow the costs of these repairs. This should never be the case since the parts and labour hours should be fully refunded by Specialized. In my case I'm still salty about the fact that they replaced the defective part, but would not cover the extra damage that was caused by the part that had a production error in it... For a brand with a reputation as high as this, it boggles my mind that they treath their customers like this (even if the bike is bought second hand).

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
I've had the same issue with my 2019 levo. Bought it off a friend and I had the original invoice from the bike.
After my second ride the rear axle snapped, taking with it, the derailler, derailler hanger and leaving some nasty marks on the rear of the frame.
After a lengty discussion my LBS (a specialized concept store mind you) they agreed to replace the rear wheel under warranty, the derailler, cassette and repair of the frame damage were paid in full by myself. I myself am in the profession of warranty handling for a known truck brand.
In all cases i've encountered in the last 5 years of doing my job, I have NEVER let a customer pay for secondary damage to their truck because of a production error on a part. In some cases we are talking about €30k+ in secondary damages, even if the truck was bought second hand, but still covered under warranty...

Also, everyone seems to think the LBS is the one who has to swallow the costs of these repairs. This should never be the case since the parts and labour hours should be fully refunded by Specialized. In my case I'm still salty about the fact that they replaced the defective part, but would not cover the extra damage that was caused by the part that had a production error in it... For a brand with a reputation as high as this, it boggles my mind that they treath their customers like this (even if the bike is bought second hand).
Its my understanding that Specialized dealers are NOT compensated by Specialized for any warranty labour, however, they are covered for replacement parts. When they sign up to be Specialized dealers they are supposed to factor this additional labour cost into the price of new bikes they sell. So if they heavily discount them and then get loads of warranty work to do, then that is down to them. If they aren't happy with that arrangement then perhaps they shouldn't agree to the Specialized dealers. Interesting you had a problem via a Concept Store - I'd expect them to provide a premium backup service. It does seem a bit bizzare that they only covered you for part of the repair caused by the faulty part. Not sure what the warranty says about, what is effectively, consequential loss in your case.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Warranty regulations are different in different countries. And it's up to us to be aware of what we're getting into when we buy new or second hand. Here, warranties are always transferrable but require proof of purchase from an Australian supplier or a worldwide warranty. And guarantees aren't limited by the supplier but based on a "reasonable" amount of time under legislation. But those rules don't apply in other countries. I would never buy second hand before I knew what risks I was taking warranty wise. Then if it happens I have to deal with it.

I would think that in OZ, a spoke would be considered wear and tear although my LBS would help me out because I'm a good customer.

Gordon

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
When they sign up to be Specialized dealers they are supposed to factor this additional labour cost into the price of new bikes they sell.
Really is that how it works? There’s no mention of it in dealer agreement. So you as the consumer wouldn’t mind me raising the price so you can get free warranty service? I don’t think so

Everyone is looking for a deal. There is nothing more satisfying for some consumers than knowing they paid less the the next consumer.
It makes you feel good. Like you’re smarter than all of the suckers that pay full price and it’s your reward... no your right to that better deal.
I feel the same way, I’ll probably never buy another new car. I got a real good deal on a washer and a dryer from a friend of mine. $800 for an almost new set that were $2400 new.
The dryer needed a new blower motor after a couple years. Cost $400 to fix. No problem, haven’t had another issue after it was fixed 2 years ago.
The appliance repairman wasn’t going to cut me a deal on fixing the dryer just because I got a deal when I bought it. His labor rate doesn’t change. The parts cost the same whether it was new or not. But I also paid for his expertise. I probably could fixed myself for half using YouTube and pets bought off the internet.
But it was worth it to have it fixed right and much quicker than I could have.
Bikes are no different.

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
Really is that how it works? There’s no mention of it in dealer agreement. So you as the consumer wouldn’t mind me raising the price so you can get free warranty service? I don’t think so

Everyone is looking for a deal. There is nothing more satisfying for some consumers than knowing they paid less the the next consumer.
It makes you feel good. Like you’re smarter than all of the suckers that pay full price and it’s your reward... no your right to that better deal.
I feel the same way, I’ll probably never buy another new car. I got a real good deal on a washer and a dryer from a friend of mine. $800 for an almost new set that were $2400 new.
The dryer needed a new blower motor after a couple years. Cost $400 to fix. No problem, haven’t had another issue after it was fixed 2 years ago.
The appliance repairman wasn’t going to cut me a deal on fixing the dryer just because I got a deal when I bought it. His labor rate doesn’t change. The parts cost the same whether it was new or not. But I also paid for his expertise. I probably could fixed myself for half using YouTube and pets bought off the internet.
Bikes are no different.
So are you saying that there is no mention of how warranty labour work is paid for in the dealer agreement? I only thought that dealers weren't compensated for warranty labour as that's what my dealer told me. I have had several UK warranty claims for motor and battery all done entirely free of charge by a dealer from which I did not purchase the bike. So are you saying they get compensation for warrsnty labour from Specialized?

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
So are you saying that there is no mention of how warranty labour work is paid for in the dealer agreement? I only thought that dealers weren't compensated for warranty labour as that's what my dealer told me. I have had several UK warranty claims for motor and battery all done entirely free of charge by a dealer from which I did not purchase the bike. So are you saying they get compensation for warrsnty labour from Specialized?
Well I am not going to outline everything in the dealer agreement, because that would be a violation of the dealer agreement. There are a few instances where we get a credit on warranty service performed on certain bikes, but 99% of it is not covered.
If you want to become a bike dealer yourself you’ll have to sign the same document.
But in all fairness, we had the most prosperous year in our 52 year history. And we did take care of a lot of warranty service for little to no charge.
But 2020 was an anomaly.
A lot of bikes shops opened or are going to open with this bike boom. The most I have seen since the 90s.
My advice to most prospective bicycle retailers is that they have to love bikes, because that is the only thing that will make you persevere through the tough initial years. If you don’t love bikes, take all of the money you have, as well as all the money you can get and flush it down the toilet.
It will save 2-3 years of your life.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The dryer needed a new blower motor after a couple years.
The appliance repairman wasn’t going to cut me a deal on fixing the dryer just because I got a deal when I bought it
I probably could fixed myself for half using YouTube and pets bought off the internet.

I think it was probably lucky you got a guy in. You could have wasted days looking for all the factory original dead mice in there before you were happy enough to put all the new ones in you bought off the internet.

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
snip.....I probably could fixed myself for half using YouTube and pets bought off the internet.
Bikes are no different.

I've used a good many YouTube videos to help me fix things, but the internet pets helping is something I'm not aware of.....:D

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles