Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL 2023 Megathread

bryankcc

May 4, 2023
Singapore
Been riding FF in mountains for 10 days soo now Im back riding XCO tech trail with SL 2.
Super agile and fun...more of analogue bike with support than e-bike.

I run a Hacksta MTB XCO track in Åkersberga Sweden:

4 laps in total 18.5 km
Time 1h 45 min
Climb 434 meter =1423 feet
Power Eco mode 20-40
Last run 40-50% on micro adjust

Charge at start 80%
Charge at finish 50%
Power usage 30%

Rider weight 98 kg fully geared

I guess power effort and battery usage is OK running this.

View attachment 121403
wow. great runs.
Wat was yr default microtune level for Eco?
And May i know what was the Average assist level shown in the ride summary?

Trail Blazer

Jun 13, 2021
Sweden
wow. great runs.
Wat was yr default microtune level for Eco?
And May i know what was the Average assist level shown in the ride summary?
Thanks Yes, at least for me tech trail are great with the SL 2.
I am still "early" in using SL 2 with 120 km soo far, and using Garmin Fenix 6X for GPS and measuring.
3 laps in Eco mode setting 20%-40%.
Last lap 30-40-50% on micro adjust started in Trail mode.

bryankcc

May 4, 2023
Singapore
Thanks Yes, at least for me tech trail are great with the SL 2.
I am still "early" in using SL 2 with 120 km soo far, and using Garmin Fenix 6X for GPS and measuring.
3 laps in Eco mode setting 20%-40%.
Last lap 30-40-50% on micro adjust started in Trail mode.
Wats the ave support level calculated shown at yr ride summary page?

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
I’ve been for a few more rides and as Rich-H says, this motor makes a few unexpected noises. Without doubt it’s significantly quieter than the Gen 1 when working the motor in all modes. I’d say that when cruising along on the Gen 1, the noise is like when working the Gen 2 hard. There are several situations when you can’t hear it over tyre noise etc.
The unusual noises seem to do with engagement/disengagement of the gears. Bizarrely it seems the most noticeable in power settings below 30%. If you are hard on the pedals it’s very quiet but if you ease off a little the motor doesn’t seem to be able to decide if to disengage/engage the gears so you get a noise. It doesn’t affect the power output at all and the bike remains smooth but the noises can be a bit of a surprise. Once you get used to it you learn to ride accordingly to reduce this noise/sensation.
It’s a quirk, not an issue but you will notice it.
The bike is pretty faultless everywhere else though. I’m thoroughly enjoying it. Hopefully we get some dry weather soon and I can get some long rides in. Battery use hasn’t been an issue for me so far. My favourite setting is Trail at 30/80.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Hi, just checking, will the Praxis cranks for the SL 1.0 fit the SL 2.0? No change rite

ok nvm...i just saw this on the FAQ.

1690860242055.png

dazzyfizzle

Jul 8, 2023
NY
Question for people with range extenders.. do you have the bottle cage installed with washers on the bike side or on the bolt side of the bottle cage? One of my screws is making a bit of a mark on the range extender with the washers on the inside of the bottle cage... I tried taking the washers out but the screws dont go all the way in.

Junior

Aug 8, 2020
Austin
Question for people with range extenders.. do you have the bottle cage installed with washers on the bike side or on the bolt side of the bottle cage? One of my screws is making a bit of a mark on the range extender with the washers on the inside of the bottle cage... I tried taking the washers out but the screws dont go all the way in.
From the factory the washers should be between the cage and the frame. This spaces it out a bit to keep the cage from fouling the frame during rough riding.

This is how it was mounted on my LSL 1 and my LSL 2

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Does anyone get an audible motor disengagement noise. Usually when you stop peddling and between gear changes?
It’s like a whir that’s much noise than the normal motor operation. Lasts less than a second
Yep i get this all time, i thought it was a issue at first as its annoyingly loud.

Junior

Aug 8, 2020
Austin
Does anyone know where to get the front eyelet shock hardware for this bike?

There is a very high volume specialized store here in Austin and they can’t seem to figure out which hardware fits this bike.

I have a Storia v3 that came off my LSL 1 that’s 210 x 55mm and I would like to be able to quickly switch between the float x and Storia, so I want them both to have the hardware without having to press anything back and forth.

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
forgive me for not having read all 73 pages.......

What is the range like on the new motor compared to the old?

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
My regular quick loop that’s 13 miles, but only 1300feet of climbing uses 40% battery on the Gen 2 in trail at 30/80.
My Gen 1 on the same loop used 37% set at 35/100 in Trail.
The Gen 2 feels more powerful at these settings
Gives you an idea at least.

Krgolob

Jul 15, 2019
Slovenia
Anyone already upgraded the fork to 170mm? In order to rise the front a bit especially for taller riders per Rob's remark (SL being quite low in front and he preferred higher handlebars). Will this work with slack(er) seat tube?

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
forgive me for not having read all 73 pages.......

What is the range like on the new motor compared to the old?
I'm still trying to find the equivalent setting going from the 1.1 to the 1.2

I was on 30/80 on my SL 1.1... and I'm now down to 15/50 trying to get the same battery life. The new motor feels more powerful at the lower settings... and I think my next ride will be 15/30 to see if I can achieve the same battery consumption over my 16 mile / 2500ft.

The last 2 efforts have involved a message coming up advising that the battery won't last the route (on my Garmin)... although the second half of the ride is mainly downhill - so I use barely any battery on that bit!

samwilk200

Oct 7, 2022
UK
Anyone already upgraded the fork to 170mm? In order to rise the front a bit especially for taller riders per Rob's remark (SL being quite low in front and he preferred higher handlebars). Will this work with slack(er) seat tube?
Just get a larger size bike with a taller headtube or 50mm rise bars.

Krgolob

Jul 15, 2019
Slovenia
I was thinking of upgrading Comp's 36/160 Rhythm to 38/170 factory and with that also raising the front.

I currently have 20' FF Levo XL and with my 192cm I'm super happy with that size. S6 SL2 might be too long for me; XL Levo and S5 SL2 seem like the same size. On paper at least. Still waiting for a demo...

samwilk200

Oct 7, 2022
UK
I was thinking of upgrading Comp's 36/160 Rhythm to 38/170 factory and with that also raising the front.

I currently have 20' FF Levo XL and with my 192cm I'm super happy with that size. S6 SL2 might be too long for me; XL Levo and S5 SL2 seem like the same size. On paper at least. Still waiting for a demo...
185cm on an S6....S5 felt tiny. Previously on an S5 FF Kenevo.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
What consumption are you aiming for on your 16 mile / 2500ft ride?
My 1.1 would have left me with about 43% at the end of that (with no RE). 15/50 had me at 35% with the 1.2.

I need to get it about the same, as I have a 24 mile ride with about 4000ft that would previously have left me with about 10-15%. If my 1.2 uses more, then I'd run out on this ride.
I do have 2x RE's... so I'd probably take 1 and not plug it in unless I had to just to make sure!

Trail Blazer

Jun 13, 2021
Sweden
So far 160 km riding on the SL2 Comp. Has anyone been thinking on upgrading 36 rhythm to grip2 or performance?
What would the real benefits be then?

I thinks the rhythm works ok on trail but it lacks the "platform" to fit 36/38 mudguard like the other has.

MarkE192

Aug 1, 2022
USA
Does anyone know where to get the front eyelet shock hardware for this bike?

There is a very high volume specialized store here in Austin and they can’t seem to figure out which hardware fits this bike.

I have a Storia v3 that came off my LSL 1 that’s 210 x 55mm and I would like to be able to quickly switch between the float x and Storia, so I want them both to have the hardware without having to press anything back and forth.
It uses an 8x20mm hardware. All shock eyelets are the same size but shock manufacturers use different bushings systems. I would go to the Storia website and order the 8x20mm kit directly from them

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
on a stock sl comp at 6,2

188cm on s4 perfect! 😂 throwing a spanner in the works. Depends what you like I guess!
Same here - 187cm on an S4 and love it! I have to admit, it did feel a bit small for the first couple of rides.., but that was because I'd been riding an XL for the past 3 years. Now I'm used to it, it feels great.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
When I took my Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate (with MegNeg) off my SL1.1, I realised it didn’t fit the new SL. I booked a service / retune at J-Tech (where I purchased it from), but they had about a 2 month waiting list.

I’ve been on holiday for the last 2 weeks, but it arrived back when I was away. £25 deposit to book the appointment, and then £169 for the service / retune 😢

Anyway - it now fits the SL 1.2, and I’m just back from a quick ride round some local trails. I’m really impressed, and pleased I decided to have it retuned to replace the Fox.
It feels much more compliant to me… less ‘bouncy’ whist flying down the bumps… but still retaining the playful pop of the bike when I want it.

Looking forward to getting it onto some harder / faster trails at the weekend and giving it a real test!

Quite a snug fit on an S4 with RE though!

IMG_4895.jpeg

Junior

Aug 8, 2020
Austin
IMG_0360.jpeg

I continue torturing myself while I recover from a broken collarbone, but I’m gonna have a sweet ride when I’m well.

Just put on some Bontrager Line Elite 30s that I scored from the local shop for $800. Been running these wheels for years on my slash and they have been trouble free unlike my Traverse SLs (non stop broken spokes)

Mezzer pro bolted up. EXT Storia is off for a rebuild/revalve

Just needs some fresh bars and a T-type drivetrain and I think I’ll have it dialed in.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
Yep i get this all time, i thought it was an issue at first as its annoyingly loud.
I’m hoping they can iron it out with a software upgrade. I can ride in a way to almost eliminate it(change under power as I have AXS gears and also stop pedalling abruptly) but it seems an unnecessary noise. It’s worse in ECO levels which doesn’t add up with the extra power being the reason given by my LBS. It’s much less noticeable in Trail and above.
Otherwise the motor is a lot quieter than the Gen 1 and also a fair bit more powerful. It’s just a small annoyance.
Really enjoying the bike though, the geo and ride quality is excellent.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I’m hoping they can iron it out with a software upgrade. I can ride in a way to almost eliminate it(change under power as I have AXS gears and also stop pedalling abruptly) but it seems an unnecessary noise. It’s worse in ECO levels which doesn’t add up with the extra power being the reason given by my LBS. It’s much less noticeable in Trail and above.
Otherwise the motor is a lot quieter than the Gen 1 and also a fair bit more powerful. It’s just a small annoyance.
Really enjoying the bike though, the geo and ride quality is excellent.
Hey Pete N, if you don’t mind would you be able to take a screen record of your mission control app to show the battery output while riding a steep hill in Turbo 100/100?
You claim that the bIke is a fair bit more powerful and there are quite a few people (me included) who detect no difference in outright power or torque.
Would be great to compare different outputs to try get to the end of this issue.
I would love to experience what you speak of as would many others.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
Hey Pete N, if you don’t mind would you be able to take a screen record of your mission control app to show the battery output while riding a steep hill in Turbo 100/100?
You claim that the bIke is a fair bit more powerful and there are quite a few people (me included) who detect no difference in outright power or torque.
Would be great to compare different outputs to try get to the end of this issue.
I would love to experience what you speak of as would many others.
I can try. I don’t ride in turbo normally though and I only generally use Mission Control for settings pre ride. When I first turned my frameset on I had to take it to a shop for plug in software update. Maybe some are behind and need some more updates. If some bikes aren’t getting full power this clearly isn’t right. I also deleted and re installed Mission Control when I got the Gen 2 and deleted the Gen 1 from the App.
Have you done this and what have you found on your bike re power?
My average ride speeds are quicker on this at 30/80 than the Gen 1 at 35/100 which I think backs up what I feel but I do use about another 5% of the battery at this setting on my normal ride.
Have you seen the video that Francois did in MTBR. I believe that he collects a lot of data so it may also be worth reaching out to him. His timed climbs on many bikes also shows quite a difference from Gen 1 to Gen 2 over a set distance/route. He also stated that it was more powerful than the Fuel EXE but they’re claimed 50NM may be out.
Can I ask do you get the engagement/disengagement noise?

Last edited:

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I can try. I don’t ride in turbo normally though and I only generally use Mission Control for settings pre ride. When I first turned my frameset on I had to take it to a shop for plug in software update. Maybe some are behind and need some more updates. If some bikes aren’t getting full power this clearly isn’t right. I also deleted and re installed Mission Control when I got the Gen 2 and deleted the Gen 1 from the App.
Have you done this and what have you found on your bike re power?
My average ride speeds are quicker on this at 30/80 than the Gen 1 at 35/100 which I think backs up what I feel but I do use about another 5% of the battery at this setting on my normal ride.
Have you seen the video that Francois did in MTBR. I believe that he collects a lot of data so it may also be worth reaching out to him. His timed climbs on many bikes also shows quite a difference from Gen 1 to Gen 2 over a set distance/route. He also stated that it was more powerful than the Fuel EXE but they’re claimed 50NM may be out.
Can I ask do you get the engagement/disengagement noise?
The problem with Eco and trail is they are not a test of outright Torque or power. If the power/Torque is as they quote then they are just a percentage of that.
The bikes I rode had almost no difference in power between Trail and Turbo which seems to confirm my theory of clever programming. The first bike I rode had an update available and that one initially felt down on power over my KSL. I reported back to the shop and then they updated to current software and the second bike I ride felt much the same as my KSL (never been updated and one of the first KSLs in Oz) The only difference between the two that I and a few mates could tell was the KSL felt punchier down low where as the LSL felt more linear. In a two hour trail ride at a 150 m elevation park with a few different types of climbs there was no difference in power between the two. This was just not me but my mates as well as we were all keen on the Gen 2.

Understand, I want to be wrong I really do but two bikes and same results (in Turbo) felt no different.
If Specialize are restricting Turbo torque then they have failed miserably in my opinion. If they have created a tricky algorithm to make the bike feel more powerful then even more so.
If I am that unlucky as are the many people who have all felt the same thing I am sure we would be grateful to be proven wrong.

As for the engagement/disengagement thing, yes my KSL had it from day one. It’s a wind down whirr. My old Gen 1 LSL never had it as prominent though so I assume it’s a running program update to preserve the motor. It’s never bothered me but then neither has the motor sound.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
The problem with Eco and trail is they are not a test of outright Torque or power. If the power/Torque is as they quote then they are just a percentage of that.
The bikes I rode had almost no difference in power between Trail and Turbo which seems to confirm my theory of clever programming. The first bike I rode had an update available and that one initially felt down on power over my KSL. I reported back to the shop and then they updated to current software and the second bike I ride felt much the same as my KSL (never been updated and one of the first KSLs in Oz) The only difference between the two that I and a few mates could tell was the KSL felt punchier down low where as the LSL felt more linear. In a two hour trail ride at a 150 m elevation park with a few different types of climbs there was no difference in power between the two. This was just not me but my mates as well as we were all keen on the Gen 2.

Understand, I want to be wrong I really do but two bikes and same results (in Turbo) felt no different.
If Specialize are restricting Turbo torque then they have failed miserably in my opinion. If they have created a tricky algorithm to make the bike feel more powerful then even more so.
If I am that unlucky as are the many people who have all felt the same thing I am sure we would be grateful to be proven wrong.

As for the engagement/disengagement thing, yes my KSL had it from day one. It’s a wind down whirr. My old Gen 1 LSL never had it as prominent though so I assume it’s a running program update to preserve the motor. It’s never bothered me but then neither has the motor sound.
I’ll try and do what you have asked over the next week.
I would try and contact Francois on MTBR though. His figures can’t really lie as far as I can tell and it’s possible that he has other data that he can share. He tested in full turbo. He’s also one of the testers that I trust to be impartial. I don’t think the same can be said of quite a few but that also stands against terse on many other brands too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles