Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL 2023 Megathread

Eduardoramundo

Aug 8, 2019
Glasgow
So lets start some guessing on what may or may not be launched next week or whenever it is.

Here’s mine :-

SJ Evo Geo frame
Mahle motor
50nm motor
400wh battery
180wh extender

• Haha
Reactions: Dax

Apr 11, 2023
Japan
The Specialized dealer I talked to yesterday told me that he was invited to the new Levo SL debut in May in Shizuoka. He said that he isn't going. But, he has heard that there are changes to the motor. The 35 Nm has been increased, most likely. He also told me that the release will also probably be in May, at around Golden Week (Japanese holidays), and to check the Specialized website. No word on Kenevo SL, either. Just the new Levo SL.

BikeParkLevo

Jan 12, 2022
Germany
hey nerds,

i know/heared from elite partner rumors that the frame got an complete new update,
but the mahle motor system is more likely the same...
Mahle Motor with an Power increase to 48-50NM (most possible by software and some small part updates),
same battery with 320wh and 160wh Range Extender, weight is more or less the same than actuall SL Models.

If my Informations are right, then you can upgrade older models by that new Motor System (Kenevo SL & Levo SL)

So if that´s all right, i don´t give shit because of 15NM more Power! That´s no Game Changer in my eyes.

But i know from Mahle & Brose Ingenieurs here in Germany that there is a lot to come in the near future
(lighter Motors with much more Range by same Power) but NO EXCLUSIVE DEAL for Specialized anymore!!!

So there USP is completely gone in my eyes!

No Hate - i love my Kenevo SL - because i bought it with a HUGE DISCOUNT :D :D :D

Apr 11, 2023
Japan
I told my Specialized dealer that I hope that the new motor is going to be a 60 Nm, but he thinks it's going to be only 40 Nm - 50 Nm. But is going from 35 Nm to 50 Nm a big enough difference to want to buy the new Levo SL?

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Noise is a primary factor for me and why I've ruled out the Bafang M820 products and why I also have to rule out the new Levo SL, as the reported changes sound very accurate to me.

Glad I'm in line on the Relay for a May delivery and I think ultimately, I made the best selection for my needs.

From my read of all of the reviews, in the mid-power segment, the F60 is the most preferred motor from a performance/ noise/ inconspicuous/ weight/ battery size point of view.

Where the F60 seems to fail is reliability. I'm just hoping that the bugs will continue to get worked out.

The TQ HP seems wonderful, but with a battery that's about 30% too small for most.

In my head power isn't a factor but I must admit that when I rode a Fuel Ex-e, it wasn't very strong. It actually felt harder to pedal in the low setting, than my SJEvo (non e-bike), I'd have to ride the TQ HP motor in the medium setting.

Last edited:

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Is power a made up number? There doesn’t seem to be any international standards, am I wrong?

My understanding is that: What the rated NM rating doesn't tell you is the Tq being delivered at the output shaft of the motor. The Spesh motor spins fast and uses a reduction gear to multiply torque (and NOISE!) which is why in back-to-back tests it's a fair equivalent to other products in the segment.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Is power a made up number? There doesn’t seem to be any international standards, am I wrong?
Is the power consistent through the full 360 degrees, average, only at max rider leverage (pedals level)... ? Afaik there is no standard which may explain why the SL does not seem to have just 1/3 the power of the Brose.
N*m is only torque, to get power we factor in rpm: best I can find the SL is at peak power at about 70 rpm while the Brose is about 35 rpm.

Also, if I am at max rider power (out of the saddle, full weight on one pedal, crank arm level) I am at about 86 lb*ft or 117 n*m. The added 35 n*m is greatly appreciated but it is only about another 30%. It sure feels like more! ;)

Last edited:

baltik

Feb 22, 2023
California
Agreed that there needs to be a new standard of crank level watts... i think the videos that francis on mtbr are pretty telling - specialized sl id very close to Trek Exe in terms of assist despite being weaker on paper. However the Orbea Rise is much stronger despite being close to the Exe...

baltik

Feb 22, 2023
California
I am almost certain to pull the trigger on the new SL, can someone PM me a good dealer that typically has pricing flexibility and is willing to ship?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles