Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL 2020 speed limit removal

Dale10ellis10

Jul 14, 2020
Newton Aycliffe
Hi,
I’m new to this so please forgive me if it’s somewhere on the forum already but what are my options on limit removal on my bike? Is it a case of reset to factory settings if I needed any warrenty work?

cheers

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I have contemplated US limits on an SL for use on private property and it is certainly possible to do but I think not without warranty consequences. I know that with earlier years of the other models, it was solely Mission Control diagnostics that was responsible for reporting what should be allowed on private land without any effect on warranty.

It seems that now, because of the revised EN19154:2017 & subsequent 2019/436/EC, harmonisation under the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC had the effect of drastic reinforcement, mandating compliance from all manufacturers selling bikes in the EU. So it seems most or all are now forced to implement whatever measures possible. So detailed user reports are not only sent back to the mothership via apps but over limits are also red-flagged in secured nodes onboard.

if you chose to proceed, I think it might be best to say good night to your warranty. Disclaimer as always - I could be wrong.

950.830.043.png

https://polini-enterprise.zotsell.c...y/id/0e5b056efe788d75e6e19336bf1f785aef16e743

HI-SPEED E-BIKE MAHLE-SPECIALIZED SL1.1 (TURBO CREO-LEVO SL) - Catalogo

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
It appears that the only way we can do this with software is to get a dealer code and password, this allows us to download the Specialized service tool to change the wheel diameter setting. Then the reported speed and accumulated mileage will be incorrect, and who knows what else will be affected.

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
I’ve seen that mate aye, really wish it wasn’t a motor out jobby like
All will need to get to the connections. its a 10minute job and only requires you to undo the front 2 and then lever the motor down to get space. you shouldn't even need to remove the cranks ect.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Warranty work on large bike fleets is expensive so I think Specialized are justified to reject claims when a bike has been completely derestricted past design limits - but not past jurisdictional limits. EU requirements oblige them to flag derestriction past jurisdictional limits.

The answer is they can verify either way so it's highly likely that with derestriction past design limits, they'd say "no warranty for you" and maybe also with derestriction past jurisdictional limits but within design limits say up to US 20 mph. Of course in those circumstances I'd hope that they'd be fair & honour the warranty.

specialized-hq-jpg.12836

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
How is it they are getting the data off the bikes?

Assuming mission control? I never actually use it, I just charge the bike, turn it on and ride it.
Dealers have diagnostics cables attached to devices which presumably display & send data flags to HQ.

237912-00-c-460639.jpg

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Hmm would need an answer on the warranty I think
Nobody will give you an assurance, because what's true today might not be true tomorrow.

It used to be possible to derestrict pretty much every motor without consequence, but manufacturers have added more and more tamper-detection routines into their firmware, so things change, and no chip manufacturer is going to run the risk of guaranteeing that a warranty will continue to stand after using the chip, because they just don't know.

ridesantacruz

Feb 4, 2020
Santa Cruz
Pretty simple, if you use a tuner on your bike and there are issues after, you need to take responsibility for your own actions. With that said, I ordered the tuner for my SL and will hope for the best.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
I meant assurance of someone that’s done it and successfully had a warranty claim perhaps...
It won't help you, Dale. On the Derestricting forum there are indeed people who have made successful warranty claims after chipping their bikes.

And there are others who have been just as unsuccessful.

It's pure luck of the draw, and one person's experience has no bearing on what might happen to the next rider.

Just accept that the warranty will be invalid if you chip - that's the legal position anyway, whether or not some riders get away with it - and decide accordingly.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Something like the SL Tuner is probably the only way to increase the speed without getting into the software: Intercept the signal from the rear wheel sensor and send out fewer pulses to the controller. A mechanical gear reduction would be even better but it may not fit in the limited space.
If the bike sees that it never goes faster than 5 mph yet logs hundreds of GPS miles in a week Specialized may think something is wrong, or not.
I was thinking of a circuit using a PIC that receives the original pulses but limits the output to however many pulses equals 18 mph. Same deal though, it is likely to end the warranty.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
There's always the Planet3, which is what I'll be doing - if my SL ever arrives:

But as you say, even though the manufacturer describes it as:
...undetectable to the bike's electronic gizmos
I'll bet that the bike's firmware will be able to identify discrepancies between the sensed speed and the GPS speed, so I'm treating this as a warranty-killer too.

Dogsslober

May 11, 2020
California
"Speed up bike", just plugs into the wheel sensor cable then into the motor. Very easy to take it off if you have a motor issue.I've have had one on my Levo from the beginning and had a motor failure, removed it before taking bike in and no one was the wiser. Motor replaced no problem.

MTBGUY65

Nov 15, 2018
Oregon
There's always the Planet3, which is what I'll be doing - if my SL ever arrives:

But as you say, even though the manufacturer describes it as:

I'll bet that the bike's firmware will be able to identify discrepancies between the sensed speed and the GPS speed, so I'm treating this as a warranty-killer too.

When you say "discrepancies between the sensed speed and the GPS speed" how would anyone know what the GPS speed is if you are not connected to the Specialized Mission Control app? I doubt there would be GPS built into the motor or the bike? I could be wrong here but that doesn't seem likely.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles