Levo head stock creak

Davey S

Apr 9, 2019
Scotland
When you tighten down the top cap it will pull everything closer together if there is only a few mm between the top cap and steerer tube then it might not be enough to get the correct tension. There is no harm in cutting a few extra mm off to be sure. It would be worth mentioning that I have all 4 spacers below the stem so the top cap is pressing down directly on the stem this also allows more tolerance in the steerer tube length. I would try putting the 4 spacers to the bottom of the stem first ditch the top one and check the clearance if it looks close to the top of the stem the cut 1-2mm off. Like I said it worked for me but everyone's bike id different.

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
You need 3 to 5mm clearance between the top cap and the steerer. A split or non split lower bearing race should make no difference since the bearing runs on the inner face of it. The only difference is you dont need a press/puller to fit or remove it. It seems most people put a cut in a solid race to convert it to a split race. To minimise dirt ingress orientate the split to left or rìght rather than front or back.

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
Well, having cut the steerer a bit, tried stem on top of stack and on bottom, replaced plastic spacers for alu, cleaned again, regreased again, cleaned bar/stem clamp, if anything the creak is worse.
I’m beginning to think it’s not the head at all after all I’ve done. When riding seated, I can force down each side of bar and make it creak to order, yet if I do that while standing, there is no sound.
I’ve already moved and cleaned seat post clamp so I’ll try cranks and pedals tomorrow.

Davey S

Apr 9, 2019
Scotland
Just on the off chance have you checked the junction between plastics where the battery cover meets the motor cover? I put a bit of tape on mine as there was a bit of flex there and the plastics creaked against one another. It would happen when I loaded up one of the cranks but only in random situations. To check if it is this lean the bike over at 45degrees and put pressure on and off the upper/outside crank with your foot on the peddle. If you hear a creak it is probably the same noise I had. I put a bit of tape between the two plastics and the noise has remained gone. Other than that I don't have any other ideas. Can you post a video?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
So you checked the seat post but did you check the saddle and saddle rails? If it is only there seated it is unlikely to be cranks or pedals. Re the seat post.....there is the part of the seat post that goes into the seat tube but there is also ( assuming it is a dropper) the chance of sideways movement of the riser stem of the dropper.

Murch

Aug 9, 2019
United States
Also, worth checking is if you creak is coming from the fork CSU (Crown Steerer Unit), both rockshox and fox have this issue with the longer travel single crown forks.

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
So you checked the seat post but did you check the saddle and saddle rails? If it is only there seated it is unlikely to be cranks or pedals. Re the seat post.....there is the part of the seat post that goes into the seat tube but there is also ( assuming it is a dropper) the chance of sideways movement of the riser stem of the dropper.

Well, I checked plastics and all that, cleaned greased etc. Turned bike upside and checked fork/crown for creaking. Given the amount of twisting I gave it, there was no creak from the front end.
Dismantled saddle and clamp etc, cleaned and very light grease and lo, silence.

Until about 2 miles into a ride when it all started again. Swerving bars makes it creak but doing same out of saddle = no creak.

I’m now wondering if its the joint between the rails and the saddle former itself. Its a repro Flite. Possibly the arse-heat after a couple of miles warms things up and the creak can begin.

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
It's a Flite Ti repro and only a few months old. I'll have to put the original Spec. one back on and see if the noise is gone for good.
There is movement in the dropper upper post too though. It can be rocked, but it doesn't creak when I rock it. Perhaps if it moves when my full weight is on it, it's a different story.

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
I leant bike over and pushed lower part of frame to induce lateral flexing, yet even with holding the saddle and bars, no creak was heard. I did make a recording but there is so much background noise and a constant buzz from the phone in its bar mount, the creak is indistinguishable.

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
Ok, creak exactly the same with different saddle. Big gear and stand up, no creak. Swivelling on saddle seems to induce creak which makes me think its the dropper

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
Jesus H tap-dancing Christ! I think I've cured it. If I'm right, it was the seat post in the seat tube. The dropper was a bit of a pain to remove as I've never had one before and hadn't freed up enough cable to get it all the way out. Clean and light grease before insertion (title of your sex-tape)
Seems OK now on a spin round the block. Expect more blasphemy if it returns.

Davey S

Apr 9, 2019
Scotland
Lol its amazing how frustrating it can be locating that one creak or noise. I thought the headset creak had returned today when out for a ride but turned out to be my water bottle!!

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
Update, 8 mile road ride, no creaks. Though annoyingly, now I remember it, part of freeing up the dropper cable required removing the shock, so as I've cleaned and greased the dropper sleeve AND cleaned and greased the shock mounts and bolts, I'm still not 100% certain which if the two caused the problem, but 95% it was the dropper due to non creaking when out of saddle.

Murch

Aug 9, 2019
United States
My damn pike fork is creaking and the only option is to warranty it and right now that process is longer than normal so I have to just live with it.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Update, 8 mile road ride, no creaks. Though annoyingly, now I remember it, part of freeing up the dropper cable required removing the shock, so as I've cleaned and greased the dropper sleeve AND cleaned and greased the shock mounts and bolts, I'm still not 100% certain which if the two caused the problem, but 95% it was the dropper due to non creaking when out of saddle.
Hopefully you used loctite on the shock bolts...they will come loose if not.

ScottDog_UK

Sep 2, 2018
West Sussex
Had this creaking at the headtube area on both our new Levos within 200 miles. In both instances replacing the crown steerer race with a NON split version (from a Ritchey headset) stopped the noise recurring.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Had this creaking at the headtube area on both our new Levos within 200 miles. In both instances replacing the crown steerer race with a NON split version (from a Ritchey headset) stopped the noise recurring.
Or there was just dirt in there or not enough grease are other options. I've had zero dramas with split crown races, unsure why they would contribute to creaking when the headset is correctly torqued but I'm open to hearing the reasons why.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Or there was just dirt in there or not enough grease are other options. I've had zero dramas with split crown races, unsure why they would contribute to creaking when the headset is correctly torqued but I'm open to hearing the reasons why.
Agreed. There is no difference.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Ok, creak exactly the same with different saddle. Big gear and stand up, no creak. Swivelling on saddle seems to induce creak which makes me think its the dropper
Mine was the same this week so removed , cleaned post and seat then used carbon paste when reassembling . No more creak !

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK

I was on the verge of buying something like a Hope headset as the final solution, until I saw that the Hope one's have split crowns too. That made me think that if Hope do it, it must be OK. Having been out of biking for many years, this was all new to me, especially tapered steerers. I presume "the kidz" today are often changing forks and thus the ease of removing the crown race without trashing the crown itself is more important these days.

Mine was the same this week so removed , cleaned post and seat then used carbon paste when reassembling . No more creak !
I'm enjoying the learning curve to be honest. Even after solving the creak, I found the dropper wasn't lifting fully. I though I'd messed it up but it turned out to be too much torque on the seat clamp.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I was on the verge of buying something like a Hope headset as the final solution, until I saw that the Hope one's have split crowns too. That made me think that if Hope do it, it must be OK. Having been out of biking for many years, this was all new to me, especially tapered steerers. I presume "the kidz" today are often changing forks and thus the ease of removing the crown race without trashing the crown itself is more important these days.

I'm enjoying the learning curve to be honest. Even after solving the creak, I found the dropper wasn't lifting fully. I though I'd messed it up but it turned out to be too much torque on the seat clamp.
.....many who get a one piece race split it with a hacksaw to avoid having to use a press.

Davey S

Apr 9, 2019
Scotland
I cant believe I'm saying this but my head set creak is back!!! Lol ? ?. Hopefully just the dry dust conditions lately so a strip, clean and reassemble should hopefully sort it. Some higher power is trying to wind me up!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles