Levo comp carbon TCU problem

Infex

Jan 20, 2020
Tessenderlo, Belgium
Hello all,

So after purchasing my Levo a couple of weeks ago, I have encountered the following problem.
I tried the search function extensively to find any related threads, but could not find a similar issue.

I was in the woods riding in Eco mode when my mode display on the top tube went dark (battery level was still indicating) and no longer got any assistance from the engine.

After doing a little research on these forums (which has already been extremely helpful!) I came across this threads warning other owners about water and mud getting into the engine protective casing.
After pulling the non-drive side crank arm and engine cover, I was greeted with the usual soggy dirt that enters from the rear of the engine.
IMG_20200207_230211.jpg

So I started off cleaning all this up with my air compressor, I went on to check all the contacts from the TCU to the engine and from the battery to the engine. most of these were really wet inside. So I cleaned all these out with compressed air to get them dry. No oxidation is present on the pins, and no pins are bent.

Yet I still get the following error when I power up my bike. -> TCU problem video

The strange thing is that when I unplug the battery plug and reconnect it, in some rare cases, I have been able to ride +/-1km with everything working as it should.

I have read the workshop manual front to back, but could not find the information that I needed.
Does anyone have a clue where to start troubleshooting this problem?

Any insight from you guys would be greatly appreciated since I would hate to take my bike back to my LBS since their customer service is absolutely terrible.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Hmm that is a lot of debris in there has yours had the fix done at the back that they did as mine gets literally nothing inside, although mine did fail on Saturday so i had to remove the crank and cover and dry it out though there wasn't much moisture in there but it worked after that.

Infex

Jan 20, 2020
Tessenderlo, Belgium
I got mine second hand of a friend. The back is still open, so dirt can freely get in there.
What baffles me is that I took this bike to my LBS for another warranty-related issue 4 days ago.

I would assume they inspect these things when a bike comes in for a service, but this does not seem to be the case.
I will be installing some foam myself to stop dirt from entering in the near future.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
There is a proper fix for this problem it is a couple of parts and a Spesh dealer will know what this is and give you the part as it stops any rubbish coming in!

Infex

Jan 20, 2020
Tessenderlo, Belgium
There is a proper fix for this problem it is a couple of parts and a Spesh dealer will know what this is and give you the part as it stops any rubbish coming in!
Just a side question I have about this, the LBS that I took my bike to is the local Spesh concept store. Wouldn't it be standard procedure for them to inspect the bike and apply the fix if they see it has not been executed yet? Or do you explicitly have to mention that you want them to apply a fix for this problem?

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
You would like to think so BUT I would insist that fix is done as that amount of rubbish in there is just not acceptable!

Paceman

Jul 8, 2019
Brighton
Just a side question I have about this, the LBS that I took my bike to is the local Spesh concept store. Wouldn't it be standard procedure for them to inspect the bike and apply the fix if they see it has not been executed yet? Or do you explicitly have to mention that you want them to apply a fix for this problem?

You will need to make a warranty claim through your local Spesh dealer, the parts should be provided under warranty if the Levo is less than 2 years old, but you may have to pay a small labour charge. I had mine done after i'd had it a few months.

A Mudhugger FRX or similar mounted on the rear will also greatly help in preventing mud/debris getting thrown into the back of the motor cover. Search on here, there are lots of threads about rear mudguard options.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles