Lets discuss uphill crashing.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
So E team.

How's ya uphill crashing going? Since getting an e-bike my uphill crashing has significantly increased. I love to push the limits see what is possible and end up attempting rediculous incline or feature followed by the resulting step off the bike.

The other day i miss timed an up and over a root and wanged off into the undergroath under power and got wedged inbetween some trees and branches. Funny as hell.

Regale me with an uphill crash story!

2WHLFUN

Apr 27, 2022
Trinidad, CO
Same here, unfortunately my 57lb full squish emtb has thrown me off the downhill side of a couple steep tech climbs I’ve attempted. Ouch

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
On my uphill fails, I can't recall any of them being very spectacular. You're right in that the emtb encourages more hard and/or technical uphill attacks than my pedal-only bike rides. However, it's usually just a grind to a halt and maybe even fall over scenario than any wild, flailing off the trail into a cactus...fortunately. 😄

It is impressive how well most of these higher power, long travel emtb's can conquer some nasty uphills. I'm a dirt motorcycle guy too, so I'm used to having power on a hard climb, but for a bicycle to do it is a real pleasure even if it does still require some decent pedaling.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Last year going uphill on very slow off camber tech trail wife came to a halt, put foot down on downhill side, fell off, rolled down a slope and came to rest against a fallen tree. Did her hamstring in, took 18 months to fully heal although still 'twingy'. Nasty injury.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have looped out a few times and then tumbled down the slope, usually with the bike on top of me, with the extra weight of an emtb adding a bit of extra hurt to the process. But I have not had too many problems crashing uphill for a year or so, except.......

I have commented on this forum before about a very specific short and steep climb at my local trail. It has become my "nemesis"! I have tried everything I can think of and everything that everyone else can think of and I still fail most of the time. I simply stall and have to grab for tree branches to the side to stop going backwards. There is no run up. If there was it wouldn't be a problem. This is very amusing to my riding buddies, all of whom seem to just float up without any effort.

I used to climb it successfully (most of the time) 9-10 years before on an mtb, but then it was made inaccessible by a forest clearance. A second forest clearance two years ago made it accessible again (after some clearance of my own), but this time I have arthritic knees and an emtb.

I decided last week that the problem is not technique, motor power or torque. The problem is that I just cannot supply the necessary power through my knees. I hate getting old! :eek:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Climbing an uphill technical trail, usually a blue rated, doubles the pleasure and the challenge. We have some trails here, or loops, that analog mtb’s won’t even try.

Crashing, or falling, on an uphill climb is usually not as nasty because of the lower speeds, but it can still hurt. I remember the ones that make me laugh 😆.(and there’s been several).

Finding yourself pinned between your bike and a tree during a root climb
…”now what do I do?” Flipping over backwards is always fun 🤩 when you don’t shift your weight at the right time.

But one time, during a techy climb on a narrow trail next to a ravine …my front wheel hit a large rock. This sent me into the ravine. I tried to place my foot down to stop the fall …but there was nothing there. Prepare for a slow-motion fall over the edge. 😱

The impact wasn’t that bad. I landed on my back but I I was inverted. My left ankle, calf and leg had become entangled in some tree roots and this prevented me from falling further into the ravine. Then my eMTB fell on top of me pinning me in a weird upside down position.

After accessing the situation I decided to push the bike off of me and further into the ravine. My concern here was taking a peddle strike to my face …a sacrifice I didn’t want to make. The heavy bike slid another 15’ down into the ravine …success! 👍🏻

But now I had to free myself from this root clamp around my leg while upside down. Each move I tried to make was painful. I couldn’t even do an inverted sit-up without the risk of breaking my leg.🦵

It took several minutes to carefully free my leg and even more time to rescue my bike. Not even walk-mode could help me here. I was in “push-an-inch-at-a-time” mode 😆.

Anyways, all good. Had a good laugh after. 😆

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Climbing an uphill technical trail, usually a blue rated, doubles the pleasure and the challenge. We have some trails here, or loops, that analog mtb’s won’t even try.

Crashing, or falling, on an uphill climb is usually not as nasty because of the lower speeds, but it can still hurt. I remember the ones that make me laugh 😆.(and there’s been several).

…”now what do I do?” Flipping over backwards is always fun 🤩 when you don’t shift your weight at the right time.

But one time, during a techy climb on a narrow trail next to a ravine …my front wheel hit a large rock. This sent me into the ravine. I tried to place my foot down to stop the fall …but there was nothing there. Prepare for a slow-motion fall over the edge. 😱

The impact wasn’t that bad. I landed on my back but I I was inverted. My left ankle, calf and leg had become entangled in some tree roots and this prevented me from falling further into the ravine. Then my eMTB fell on top of me pinning me in a weird upside down position.

After accessing the situation I decided to push the bike off of me and further into the ravine. My concern here was taking a peddle strike to my face …a sacrifice I didn’t want to make. The heavy bike slid another 15’ down into the ravine …success! 👍🏻

But now I had to free myself from this root clamp around my leg while upside down. Each move I tried to make was painful. I couldn’t even do an inverted sit-up without the risk of breaking my leg.🦵

It took several minutes to carefully free my leg and even more time to rescue my bike. Not even walk-mode could help me here. I was in “push-an-inch-at-a-time” mode 😆.

Then when you got back home when wife asked if you had a good ride you of course said "yep" with no mention of the dodgy escape! 😆

Rubble

Jan 21, 2022
Exeter, Devon
Not an uphill crash per se but I was trying a demo emtb when I got off line on a run and had to stop to avoid a massive stump. Motor overrun then launched me into it when I let go of the brakes and I folded over the bars. Overrun overrated in my view😅

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas

LOL!...yeah, that scenario where you put your foot down into thin air is not a good feeling. There's a very technical section of that famous trail "Porcupine Rim" outside of Moab the goes just to the left of Jackass Canyon. It's a real canyon with a steep drop off. When our riding group hit that section, tipping to the right in a technical fail over the rocks was big on our minds.

I've had the fall into a creek bottom from a shelf trail on my dirt motorcycle, but never a very long fall, and not as hairy as your report here Stihldog...LOL! Talk about falling into a ravine off of a shelf trail, some of you have probably already seen this video from Colorado at the Devils Punchbowl. I've ridden this trail a couple of times, and I hug that wall away from the edge like a newborn hugging his mama. :ROFLMAO:

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
I was just starting a trail with a steep rocky chute off a road.

I made it about 12ft up the chute, ran out of momentum and peeled off low-side. Cartwheeled down the bank through the brambles and landed in my back on the road off a 6ft bank. I got a ‘why is this idiot lying on his back in the middle of the road laughing’ look from the old couple who were driving past.

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
I was just starting a trail with a steep rocky chute off a road.

I made it about 12ft up the chute, ran out of momentum and peeled off low-side. Cartwheeled down the bank through the brambles and landed in my back on the road off a 6ft bank. I got a ‘why is this idiot lying on his back in the middle of the road laughing’ look from the old couple who were driving past.
How inconsiderate of the elderly couple. They didn't even allow you use their Medic-Alert fob to call for help..."I've fallen, and I can't get up!" :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Dax

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I try not to worry my wife with the occasional faux-pas, but her keen eye usually catches some traces of dry blood or me limping past her.(She’s an Orthopaedic Nurse and has seen many motorcycle accidents victims).

Anyways, climbing up a steep fire road section called “Baby Dolls Heads” is a challenge that needs constant momentum …don’t stop. I’ve taken this route many times …but one time I lost focus. I hit a large rock and the wheel launched straight up. I naturally fell straight backwards while trying to right-the-ship. That didn’t work.

Still holding onto the bar I fell into the garden of rocks. The bone on my pelvis found the only sharp-pointy rock on the road. It was about the size of a gorilla head. FFS.

So there I was …laying on my back …in pain. I thought to myself …”so this is what it’s like to break your pelvis”

After about 15 minutes of laying on the ground (seemed like three hours) I began to move my leg, then I sat, then I carefully stood. I continued my climb …carefully.

When I got home I took my position on the couch, ice pack on the spot. My wife returned from work and sat in the chair next to me. (Insert chat here). Then I had to use the restroom.

I rolled off the couch “grunting noise”, I stood up “grunting noise”. With each step I “grunted”.

“WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO NOW?”, she asked.
“I’m ok”…I gasped. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Off the edge of cliffs on uphill climbs a few times . I turned acceleration right down that definitely helps. And put seat down. Never went more than ten feet down usually the Whin bushes stop me. First thing I usually do is look around to see if anyone seen me.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
I try not to worry my wife with the occasional faux-pas, but her keen eye usually catches some traces of dry blood or me limping past her.(She’s an Orthopaedic Nurse and has seen many motorcycle accidents victims).

Anyways, climbing up a steep fire road section called “Baby Dolls Heads” is a challenge that needs constant momentum …don’t stop. I’ve taken this route many times …but one time I lost focus. I hit a large rock and the wheel launched straight up. I naturally fell straight backwards while trying to right-the-ship. That didn’t work.

Still holding onto the bar I fell into the garden of rocks. The bone on my pelvis found the only sharp-pointy rock on the road. It was about the size of a gorilla head. FFS.

So there I was …laying on my back …in pain. I thought to myself …”so this is what it’s like to break your pelvis”

After about 15 minutes of laying on the ground (seemed like three hours) I began to move my leg, then I sat, then I carefully stood. I continued my climb …carefully.

When I got home I took my position on the couch, ice pack on the spot. My wife returned from work and sat in the chair next to me. (Insert chat here). Then I had to use the restroom.

I rolled off the couch “grunting noise”, I stood up “grunting noise”. With each step I “grunted”.

“WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO NOW?”, she asked.
“I’m ok”…I gasped. 🤷‍♂️
Been there, my wife (college child-development/psych professor) knows when I’m faking it (“it’s nothing, I’m good”)… similar crash to yours, couldn't hide the results… her comment on hugely swollen hip “looks like Kardashian implant!”:

IMG_7363.jpeg IMG_7362.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I've had one of them, it went right down to my calf.
Bruise emtb.jpg

I've had worse, but no pics.
I went OTB and landed with both thighs across a log. At the time I thought that I had broken both thigh bones (or at least cracked them). But my rock -hard muscles saved me from that fate. :)
The bruises emerged on the back of the thighs despite the impact being on the front! My wife thought that watching me limp on both legs at the same time was very amusing.She loves me really!

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
I've had one of them, it went right down to my calf.
View attachment 142228

I've had worse, but no pics.
I went OTB and landed with both thighs across a log. At the time I thought that I had broken both thigh bones (or at least cracked them). But my rock -hard muscles saved me from that fate. :)
The bruises emerged on the back of the thighs despite the impact being on the front! My wife thought that watching me limp on both legs at the same time was very amusing.She loves me really!
Believe it or not I was actually wearing a crash-pad liner that day for riding “Mile” trail in rocky Pacifica (premonition I guess), don’t want to think about what it would be otherwise!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Believe it or not I was actually wearing a crash-pad liner that day for riding “Mile” trail in rocky Pacifica (premonition I guess), don’t want to think about what it would be otherwise!
Does wearing extra protection increase the risks we are prepared to take? Such that we ride just that little bit too far outside our skill envelope? Frequently we get away with it, sometimes we don't. :eek:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Remember a few years ago a friend of a friend went over the bars . Two broken wrists on Xmas Eve. You just never know what bit you are going to hurt .

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Remember a few years ago a friend of a friend went over the bars . Two broken wrists on Xmas Eve. You just never know what bit you are going to hurt .
In my mtb days, I did superman on Jacob's Ladder (Peak District, England). As I soared through the air, I turned it into a forward roll, landed on my backpack, continued to roll and landed upright on my feet. I waited for the pain to come, but nothing, nothing at all. :love:
I could see my bike making its way down the trail without me, bouncing end over end. Amazed at my good fortune, I ran after the bike and caught up with it as it finally stopped ricocheting off all the rocks. Double amazement, the bike was 100% unmarked (well nothing new at least). What a lucky boy! :ROFLMAO:

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Does wearing extra protection increase the risks we are prepared to take? Such that we ride just that little bit too far outside our skill envelope? Frequently we get away with it, sometimes we don't. :eek:
This comes up on motorcycle forums quite a bit. Generally it's referred to as "ATGATT"...all the gear all the time. It's pretty much accepted that it's not a license to go crazy and wild necessarily, but it's like the insurance policy for your home that you kind of hope you don't have to use. But then again, wearing all the protective gear may indeed allow some to think they are Richie Schley or Wade Simmons...for those old enough to remember. 😄

Though I notice those two are riding emtb's now.👍

Amber Valley Guy

Oct 15, 2023
Alfreton
Last year going uphill on very slow off camber tech trail wife came to a halt, put foot down on downhill side, fell off, rolled down a slope and came to rest against a fallen tree. Did her hamstring in, took 18 months to fully heal although still 'twingy'. Nasty injury.
I did the same on a steep uphill (no injury, luckily) last year. Climbing up Chee Dale to Wormhill (Derbyshire off the Monsal Trail) I had the bike in boost, went around a switchback, the back wheel slipped on wet grass, then gripped but over steered, put my foot down on a clump of clover to stop me tumbling down the steep slope, the clover I put my foot on was growing out of the slope but from my perspective looked like it was on the trail itself. Result I sideways tumbled about 20ft with the bike somersaulting over my head sideways to the right . Could of bloody killed me, it's a cliff face further down!

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
Its a good thread ng our wives, significant other’s don’t read this thread. Depending on your standing at the moment they may nag you with worry… or you’ll notice them in the garage surreptitiously tinkering with the bike!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles