Latest firmware causing issues Trance E+ 2 2020

Horse

Mar 31, 2020
Glenrothes, Fife
My bike went in to local bike shop on Thursday for a Ride One controller, I got it back inc a firmware update, I couldn't alter the settings in the app with regards to the assist levels on getting the bike back.
I took the bike out on one of my usual routes which is roughly 32km and noticed the Auto mode (smart assist was very easy). On this route I normally use around 25%-30% max in Auto mode. On this occasion I went through 80% battery. Meaning I used a whopping 55% extra battery for something I normally do on 25%. I noticed it used 20% in 6km.
I took the bike back to the store the following day (Friday) as requested following a telephone call to the Giant tech team. The store updated their laptop and then again updated my firmware. I was able to get into my settings on the app and put the bike assist settings back to what i previously had them set at prior to the new ride one controller and firmware update. Setting them to....
Eco 50%
Eco+ 125%
Trail 175%
Active 250%
Active+ 350%
I again tried the bike today and it is still using too much battery in auto (smart assist mode) using 20% 6km. In smart assist mode the bike feels like it you are getting a constant 200% - 300% assist and it's eating the battery. I use auto a lot and previous to the control change and firmware updates by the store i was getting around 100km in Auto..
If your thinking about a firmware update, it maybe worth while holding off..I have raised my concern with giant and waiting on a fix/reply
Giant Trance E+ Pro 2. 2020 model.

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
Did you take note of the firmware versions ?

We have had 2 bikes updated to 20200304000 and behaviour seemed better but I admit I didn’t monitor battery use. Have to keep an eye on it.

Horse

Mar 31, 2020
Glenrothes, Fife
I didn't note the firmware No...I will just now though. I just know both were the same. Checked and its 20200304000

Last edited:

Wootism

Jun 1, 2020
Trails
@Horse I think I have a similar issue.... Just bought myself a Trance E+2 2020 a couple of days ago. Before my first ride I updated my firmware so I don't have any reference of what my range was before the update...

The only thing I know is that my Trance E+ has a terrible range comparing to my Giant Fathom E+.

Trance E+ 2 on ECO+ = 70km range
2 years old Fathom E+ on ECO+ = 147km range

I also noticed this in practice. Already after 30 minutes I had lost a battery point. With my Fathom E+ this was usually after an hour.
I don't read much about this on the rest of the forum, so it might not be a common problem.

Horse

Mar 31, 2020
Glenrothes, Fife
Firmware updates are done by the store. App updates do not affect the bike IMO. I have updated my app and it made no difference to the issue in auto. I used 47% on a Eco today over a 58km ride, Auto doesn't give me that range.

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
@Horse I think I have a similar issue.... Just bought myself a Trance E+2 2020 a couple of days ago. Before my first ride I updated my firmware so I don't have any reference of what my range was before the update...

The only thing I know is that my Trance E+ has a terrible range comparing to my Giant Fathom E+.

Trance E+ 2 on ECO+ = 70km range
2 years old Fathom E+ on ECO+ = 147km range

I also noticed this in practice. Already after 30 minutes I had lost a battery point. With my Fathom E+ this was usually after an hour.
I don't read much about this on the rest of the forum, so it might not be a common problem.
My last ride at local steep trails I was getting 5.5km to a light (20%), normally I'd get 6.5km per light.....lucky if I can do 30k on batt in level 3 set at 200%

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
Firmware updates are done by the store. App updates do not affect the bike IMO. I have updated my app and it made no difference to the issue in auto. I used 47% on a Eco today over a 58km ride, Auto doesn't give me that range.
Firmware can be from app when available, when connecting to bike, app will want to update bike if there is new firmware.

Horse

Mar 31, 2020
Glenrothes, Fife
Firmware can be from app when available, when connecting to bike, app will want to update bike if there is new firmware.
That's not what Giant UK tech advised me via telephone conversation. He said the app would not have any effect on the bike

Horse

Mar 31, 2020
Glenrothes, Fife
That's not what Giant UK tech advised me via telephone conversation. He said the app would not have any effect on the bike
Maybe If giant actually gave us a proper set of manuals and instructions advising a rough battery usage on each level....we would know what is going on and have a rough base to work from

Dgedge

May 20, 2020
France
After the lasts updates of the app, a message was displayed when connecting to the bike saying that the bike was out of date and needed a firmware update.
During this firmware update (a couple of minutes) the ControlOne remote leds were blinking and after that the bike behaviour changed so it clearly upgraded something on the bike.

Horse

Mar 31, 2020
Glenrothes, Fife
After the lasts updates of the app, a message was displayed when connecting to the bike saying that the bike was out of date and needed a firmware update.
During this firmware update (a couple of minutes) the ControlOne remote leds were blinking and after that the bike behaviour changed so it clearly upgraded something on the bike.
Can you check what firmware your running?

Dgedge

May 20, 2020
France
I am still at 20190802000.

When I got the bike it was 20190509000 for software and 20190100000 for hardware. It was not possible to adjust the power on each mode for the new 2020 motors and the bike was a terrible battery eater (first mode was factory set to 50%, 2nd and 3rd to 175%) .
I had to wait until february to get the first full upgrade done by the app (app v1.4.2 that upgraded also the bike to software version 20190802000) to get auto mode working (with a display bug for mode 2).
Then another update was delivered in march (same process as february (app v1.4.3 that upgrades bike to software version 20191231000) but all people I know who did it lost their auto mode so I haven't done it.
Now there is a new version (only available to IOS for the moment) V1.4.4 that upgrades to 20191231001 and which is supposed to fix the auto mode.
As nobody can revert their version once installed (maybe LBS with service tool can ?) I prefer to wait for other people to check if every is fine before to upgrade myself.

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Maybe If giant actually gave us a proper set of manuals and instructions advising a rough battery usage on each level....we would know what is going on and have a rough base to work from

They could but it would be largely pointless... think of all the variables that affect battery usage: rider weight, terrain, temperature, wind speed, battery health.

They’re wrong, at least with regards to the app since the update that allowed user FW updates. I’ve had erroneous information from them over the phone before... they don’t seem to know their products particularly well

Wootism

Jun 1, 2020
Trails
Like mentioned above, that’s not true.

Just checked the app updates, I think they released a new firmware update that’s fixing the issues on smart-assist.
Check second paragraph.

53291BAA-3DB2-4D5D-9065-3E2132989F95.jpeg

Horse

Mar 31, 2020
Glenrothes, Fife
I guess we will argue this all day....and how can a giant tech be wrong??
My firmware was updated by the store and the issues started as mentioned above, their latest update put me on software version 20200304000 and allowed me back into the app as the version they put on the day before blocked me out.

My APP is running 1.4.4
My Software is still 20200304000
My Hardware is still 20180300000

The app changed nothing on my bike when I updated it and Smart Auto has been ripping through my battery since the store updated it - Giant told me the app is controlled by a 3rd party company, they do not allow the stores full access to their products, so they aren't going to allow a 3rd party company either.
Giant have said the latest update created an issue which would be a few weeks away from fixing!!

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.

Easily, he’s just a human.
I can assure you I have updated the firmware on MANY 2019 and 2020 MY bikes using the App.
The first firmware update was late last year to change the way walk assist worked. You used to have to hold that daft little button in while pushing the bike up over rocks... that was fun!

A few firmware updates later they broke auto mode on all 2020’s.
this new update allegedly fixes it again. I’ve yet to try as I have three big rides planned and am not risking another drama due to that poxy app as I never use auto anyway.

it won’t do a firmware update on all bikes. If your firmware is Already newer or up to date, or you don't have a 2020 model and the update is for auto assist Or ANT+ then you are obviously not going to get an update.

Dgedge

May 20, 2020
France
The version installed by the store has a number greater than the one provided with the app (20200304000 vs 20191231001) so the app will not change it. You can go back to a previous version after an upgrade.

The hardware number is related to the Ridecontrol One remote, your hardware version is 201803000, are your sure it is a 2020 remote and not a 2019 ? (I have also a 2019 remote and as I remember the number is something starting by 2018....). ?

Giant said true : the latest update released in march (app 1.4.3, software 20191231000) introduced an issue with auto mode no more working and it should have been fixed by the new one just release (app 1.4.4, software 20191231001).

Wootism

Jun 1, 2020
Trails
Giant have said the latest update created an issue which would be a few weeks away from fixing!!
Did you see my post above including the screenshot of the version history of the RideControl app?
All the info you need is there:

- The RideControl app pushes firmware updates to your bike.
- They screwed up with the v14.4.4 firmware update
- They fixed it again in the latest firmware update.

oldmanmx

Jan 19, 2020
Camden NSW
Is anybody having a problem getting the firmware to update. The problem with the app is it won't allow you to use it unless you update the firmware but everytime I've tried to update the firmware I get a message "update failed try reinstalling the battery or contact your dealer" and then the only way from here is to exit the app. So now I can't change power levels or check the percentage of my battery.Starting to get sick of this thing

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Is anybody having a problem getting the firmware to update. The problem with the app is it won't allow you to use it unless you update the firmware but everytime I've tried to update the firmware I get a message "update failed try reinstalling the battery or contact your dealer" and then the only way from here is to exit the app. So now I can't change power levels or check the percentage of my battery.Starting to get sick of this thing
iOS or Android? All I can suggest is trying another device... we’ve two Trance here and they seem picky about connecting to either platform at random. When one works the other doesn’t and so on. It’s all a bit pooh.

oldmanmx

Jan 19, 2020
Camden NSW
Android. Worked fine with previous updates. I've just sideloaded the old version 1.4.3 and I've gotten the functionality back. I've disabled auto updates until this problem gets sorted. It could have something to do with 2019 models

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Android. Worked fine with previous updates. I've just sideloaded the old version 1.4.3 and I've gotten the functionality back. I've disabled auto updates until this problem gets sorted. It could have something to do with 2019 models
So what FW are you showing how?

oldmanmx

Jan 19, 2020
Camden NSW
That's the problem. The firmware updates only pertain to the 2020 models but the dickhead engineers at Giant won't let you use the app unless you update the firmware. So it looks like ATM the only solution to use the app to check the battery and power levels is to go back to an old version of the app. Thank god they are still available on the net. Ive now backed up all the old versions on my laptop just in case

True romance

Apr 26, 2020
UK
Interesting, I was trying to get the speed hack working the other week without any luck. After noticed the auto mode wasn't working with the down button press and figured out i had to hold the up or down arrow to get auto mode. Thought I'd knackered things but looks like it was the FW update I did via the app that changed things. One thing I have noticed is that sometimes the auto mode doesn't seem to work, like the motor is just turned off? Selected another power level and it works again?

Herder000

Oct 31, 2019
UK
That's the problem. The firmware updates only pertain to the 2020 models but the dickhead engineers at Giant won't let you use the app unless you update the firmware. So it looks like ATM the only solution to use the app to check the battery and power levels is to go back to an old version of the app. Thank god they are still available on the net. Ive now backed up all the old versions on my laptop just in case
I am in the same situation. The app won’t run unless I update but the update fails :mad: Where did you find the old versions?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles