New Giant Trance E 2022 firmware makes the powermeter useless

KlaasNorg

Jul 22, 2021
Netherlands
Okay the powermeter reading was also useless before this update, but I could live with the fact it was around 200W. After the update my Garmin thinks I did an average of 5W. Well maybe I did, but I think it is unlikely. :giggle:

Smart Gateway version: 20221017000
RideControlversion: 20221014000
SyncDrive version: 20201218A

When I try to calibrate the power sensor on the Garmin 530 it keeps spinning. On the powermeter about page of the Garmin you see this:
Bekijk recente foto's.png

Anyone else having this problem? Or am I the only one on this planet with this problem?

KlaasNorg

Jul 22, 2021
Netherlands
Well I also use a 2021 Giant Fathom on firmware beginning 2022 and I got somewhat believable numbers on that one. Using the same Garmin. Between 150-200 on an average ride. So it looks like it is depending on what firmware the bike is. Not going to update my Fathom for sure. And downgrading the firmware seems to be no option.

Giant is selling their L200 and M200 with power data screen. I am wondering if that works okay. Anyone with experience on these computers?

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Well I also use a 2021 Giant Fathom on firmware beginning 2022 and I got somewhat believable numbers on that one. Using the same Garmin. Between 150-200 on an average ride. So it looks like it is depending on what firmware the bike is. Not going to update my Fathom for sure. And downgrading the firmware seems to be no option.

Giant is selling their L200 and M200 with power data screen. I am wondering if that works okay. Anyone with experience on these computers?
The in house Giant Branded cycle computer does not fix the issue. Buying a Specialized does, and its a consideration if the data is important to you. My next ebike will have a PowerMeter that works.

MisterNeil

Jun 4, 2022
Darwin, Australia
Same experience with 2022 Explore E+1

Smart Gateway version: 20221017000 << same version as OP
RideControl Ergo version: 20211130000
Syncdrive version: 20210131A

Looking at the firmware dates it's only the Smart Gateway with a recent update. I was getting proper power readings in Garmin Connect up until a couple of months ago. Just had a look back at my Bike Activities and see the Power readings dropped at the end of October. So would imagine it was the 20221017000 firmware update or earlier that borked it.

EDIT: Just scrolled back through my screenshots. I did one after the previous update on 12 October.
Smart Gateway version: 20220505000
So for me that was the last good firmware.

End Oct 2022 Power Bork.png

I get Power on the Ride Dash Evo display but 0 Average Power.

Last edited:

KlaasNorg

Jul 22, 2021
Netherlands
It is not that I am really busy looking at power numbers. But I think it just should work if you make the option available on the bike. I would rather have Giant remove the option to select the power sensor than give us a power sensor option that spits out crazy numbers after each firmware update.

I was thinking maybe they would do something about it, because this L200 and M200 they sell are using the same data.

For now I turned the sensor off. Only using the build in speed and cadence sensor. And getting the e-bike information over a Garmin connect app.

Let’s not talk about the speed difference between the e-bike info and the speed sensor with calibrated circumference. The assist cuts off at the speed the e-bike info is thinking it is going. But in reality there is a 1-2 kph difference so it cuts off at 23-24 kph. Okay not that much, but it makes it hard to take over the old farts on e-bikes with crappy speed sensors going 27 kph… Yeah there you are on your €7000,- EMTB in full gear riding from home to you local trail, having trouble to take over grandma on her sightseeing tour. 😂

Rangal

Mar 1, 2023
Poland
Hey, did any of you happened to resolve the issue? I'm experiencing the same issue with the Garmin Fenix 6 PRO and GIANT Trance X E+2 PRO 29

MisterNeil

Jun 4, 2022
Darwin, Australia
My Smart Gateway updated yesterday. Re-added the Power sensor to the Fenix but the readings are still bad.

I had installed Ant+ Power Meter data field to compare outputs. It's the same bad readings as the Garmin ebike app/sensor.

Check out this app from the Garmin Connect IQ Store https://apps.garmin.com/en-AU/apps/70f1aea3-f1d3-47f6-b7aa-23f029a75e3b

The (crappy) Garmin Android app RideControl connects via Bluetooth. The power readings from that seem more legit.

Rangal

Mar 1, 2023
Poland
My Smart Gateway updated yesterday. Re-added the Power sensor to the Fenix but the readings are still bad.

I had installed Ant+ Power Meter data field to compare outputs. It's the same bad readings as the Garmin ebike app/sensor.

Check out this app from the Garmin Connect IQ Store ANT+ Power Meter

The (crappy) Garmin Android app RideControl connects via Bluetooth. The power readings from that seem more legit.
By the (crappy) Garmin Android app RideControl you mean the Giant RideControl app? :)
Can you write e-mail to the Giant support? I've done it, but i think that if they get more reports of the issue they might be able to fix it.

FireDoug

Mar 12, 2023
SoCal
+1 here
2022 Giant Trance X e+2
I am experiencing same useless data from Giant's ANT+ Power Sensor to a Garmin 1030.

I have sent a customer service message to Giant asking about a fix, maybe if they get more customers identifying the problem it will get on the fix list.

Used "Contact Form" at the top of this page to send Giant a message:

Cheers
Doug

FireDoug

Mar 12, 2023
SoCal
I think we are going to have to live with it until Giant updates the firmware... then cross your fingers it gets fixed.

I got this reply from Giant's customer service today:

Hello,

Thank you for your email, please visit your local Giant dealer for further evaluation, if there is a warranty issue or a software issue, they will be the ones to help you with that process. They will also be your best source for resolution any mechanical issues.
Here is a quick link to our store finder:
Find Road, MTB, and XC Bikes Near You | Find A Giant Store | Giant Bicycles US

Thank you for contacting us.

rk6246

Feb 14, 2023
Cornwall
I had the same reply when I asked the question from them. Disappointing,
But hopefully if enough people complain they’ll do something.

KlaasNorg

Jul 22, 2021
Netherlands
I was at my LBS when they called Giant tech support about this. Giant acted like this was a new problem. They will investigate it and new firmware would somehow fix it. Funny to see the LBS hopeful after that phone call, but we know they fix nothing for this matter.

FireDoug

Mar 12, 2023
SoCal
So today I received a Giant Branded Stages L200 computer set it up with all 3 of the native ANT+ sensors on my Trance. Giants computer gives the same bad power readings as my Garmin 1030. The bluetooth connected Giant phone app gives what would be expected for Power readings while the ANT+ computers give bogus readings in the 5 to 10 watts range.

Doug

Porcupine

Sep 5, 2022
South east UK
I've had the same issue with my 2021 Trance E and my Garmin Fenix 7X and commented on other threads here. I asked my local Giant store about it and they refused to get involved. (I didn't buy the bike from them.)

I have a new problem now after another firmware update - my speed being reported by the Garmin is about 25% lower than it should be. My watch says I'm doing 12mph when the bike's power assistance cuts out at 15mph. I'm just going to delete the Spd/Cad sensor from the watch and use its built in GPS speed measurement.

Useless Giant firmware updates. I won't buy another Giant eBike.

wapidek

Mar 12, 2024
Poland
I have a Stance E+ 2023 and a problem with displaying the correct power value. Has the problem been resolved yet? Is there any information about solving the problem? Any chance of Giant or Garmin fixing this in the near future?

KlaasNorg

Jul 22, 2021
Netherlands
I have a Stance E+ 2023 and a problem with displaying the correct power value. Has the problem been resolved yet? Is there any information about solving the problem? Any chance of Giant or Garmin fixing this in the near future?
I contacted Giant and got a standard answer about all ANT+ devices can connect to the Giant. Yeah that much we know, but how about the powermeter??? And than they stay quiet. They must know this issue, but can or will not solve it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles