Kiox on button issues

Third-Reef

Apr 1, 2021
the on button on my Kiox is getting finicky. i need to push it many times to get it to turn on. Anybody had issues and possibly have a fix?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Hmmm 🤔. I hope that doesn’t happened to me. I wonder if warranty will cover that? Maybe clean the connections under the Kiox …I’m sure you’ve tried that though.
Is the Kiox held onto the holder with a magnet or is it fixed permanently with a screw (on the backside?).

Last edited:

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
There's a small gap below the power/light buttons, dirt and grit can get into here and will stop you pushing the button down.
I'd try and get a toothbrush in there and see if you can give it a bit of a clean out.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
The issue that @yorkshire89 mentioned sounds most likely. With the Kiox removed from its holder it should also power on.

There’s several contact points between the Kiox and the holder. Some of these contacts supply power when the Kiox is in holder-position. If the alignment or position of the Kiox is not just right it could cause a number of issues. For example; yesterday I installed a new Kiox controller. Once I completed the install (included removal and disassembly of Kiox holder) I placed the Kiox in the holder and pressed the ON button. The screen lite-up but I noticed that the battery % was blank. I could change the modes but the walk button never worked. It was a simple fix though. R&R the Kiox. But.
During rides I sometimes lose power assist when the bike is ridden over rough gravel. The Kiox screen stays on but I need to power through this for 5-10 seconds. The likely cause for this may be the electrical contact in the battery compartment due to vibration. It got me thinking 🤔. Could the contacts between the Kiox and the controller be affected from this vibration also?
A938FD5E-79EE-4648-B964-C0AAE6F9D3C6.jpeg

3B146D30-A4FA-4F35-BA1F-A6FCBE065287.jpeg

There are 7 contact points between the Kiox and the holder. Any debris, dirt or a misaligned Kiox could cause a number of issues. I don’t know the wiring configuration for this area but it seems that could cause certain issues at times. There’s also a small battery in the Kiox.
Now that I think about it 🤔…there’s a lot of things that need to work properly.

Terence

Subscriber
Oct 7, 2021
Ludlow
Just spotted this posting ! On my 9.8 XT which will be a year old at the end of July, I had no problem with the Kiox until I travelled across to Elan Valley mid Wales refitted the Kiox after the journey and it wouldn’t switch on…kept trying the on/off switch and bingo it came to life and I was able to complete my ride. This was early in May, bike into Blazing Bikes my LBS who are JUST GREAT! , assuming just a new Kiox …and after a check on the Bosch motor they replaced the motor and the Kiox under warranty.. I did an earlier post linking my Trek bike experience with Landrover Jaguar cars great to drive/ride , but have a terrible reputation when it comes to reliability statistics.. I hope I’ve just been a bit unlucky!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles