Kiox or Purion on 2021 Rail 9.7?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I've got a Trek 9 on order; very exited! on reading this thread, the tether looks like its a very good idea
Where can I get one from in the UK?
Thanks in advance
I don’t know if you can order one. I just made a short tether out of a USB lanyard and a plastic clip. Garmin has a nice little tether also. There’s a place on the Kiox to loop a tether through and then attach or loop through one of the stem bolts.

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
I don’t know if you can order one. I just made a short tether out of a USB lanyard and a plastic clip. Garmin has a nice little tether also. There’s a place on the Kiox to loop a tether through and then attach or loop through one of the stem bolts.
Thank you Stihldog
Any other good tips in advance of me getting my new Trek (assuming I get one as in short supply!)
How does yours cope with using a hose pipe to clean; is the battery compartment sealed well?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Thank you Stihldog
Any other good tips in advance of me getting my new Trek (assuming I get one as in short supply!)
How does yours cope with using a hose pipe to clean; is the battery compartment sealed well?
After each ride I usually spray off the dirt with water in shower mode. No direct water pressure. Every once in a while I drop the skid plate and carefully clean around the motor. Check the water-proof wire connections at the same time. (4). Keep an eye on those brakes. Oil the chain every 2nd-4th ride cause the motor applies more stress. Make that a routine.
I’ve had my 9.7 and myself submerged a few times with no affect. And I ride in the rain too …lots. Over a year+ and no problems with the battery or motor. (Knock-wood).
Most of the time I just point and go and have fun. ?

altadena EMTB

Mar 24, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Thanks again SD; I’ve just seen some posts of people saying they are waiting 6 months for their Rail..., all of a sudden I’m not confident I’ll get mine at the end of this month?
did you Rail arrive? i lucked out and was able to buy a 9.7 right off the Trek dealer floor in January. no wait. another dealer that I went to told me it would take 3-4 months for the 9.7 to arrive.

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
I hate the waiting........its like how I used to feel when Christmas was approaching
I wish the bike shops were better at communicating with their customers, it's akin to builders or estate agents (not all) where the customer has to do all of the chasing
I am desperate for the bike as one of my twin boys is incredibly keen on mtb and he will have my old bike when the new one arrives, so he's missing out most weekends as we wait :confused:

PetrD

Jul 27, 2020
CZ
Definitely, Kiox is very useful, especially with paired mobile.
I have both mounting bases for Kiox, but best for me is handlebar mounting. The frame mount is in very bad position for reading during the ride. You have to bend head more, it is far from eyes and you cannot see in front of you.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Website says kiox and pictures show kiox, so my 21 9.7 better come with a kiox.
One of the reasons I upgraded from the rail 7.
Thats one reason I originally looked at the 9.7. I ended up getting the 7 and adding the kiox for $260. I liked the shimano drivetrain better on 7 vs the NX Sram on the 9.7.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
I have a Rail 7 also and Kiox retrofit installed to the stem. It is optimal for viewing. I used the screw on the mount so it is not coming off. Kiox is much better compared to Purion. Nice to see my heart rate when paired with heart rate chest band.
Don't you have to remove the display end end a ride and sync to econnect? how does that work if its screwed on?

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
No need to disconnect. Just make sure you have connectivity on your phone (wifi or 3G/4G), open the Bosch App, go to the 'my ebike' page and you'll see "synced recently", or "synced X minutes ago"; then just turn the Kiox off (left button), it will then sync over bluetooth with the phone, which then uses wifi/4g to send data back to "the cloud @ bosch". Voila.

Only real reason to take your Kiox with you when parking is that, if you paid for the lock option, the engine is locked, which is an additional deterrent from stealing the bike (not much fun when the engine does not work; needs an evil LBS to program another Kiox on it).

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
July 2022 update; I moved the Kiox from a stem mounted holder to a frame/upper tube mounted holder. It was a fairly easy upgrade/install with the new Kiox holder and knock-block chip. I haven’t accidentally knocked off the Kiox with my knee or even after a crash. The biggest adjustment was the view angle, but since I only want to know what mode I’m in, during a DH ride, any other info can be gathered by me after I exit a trail and stop, or once I return home.
I seem to be more concerned with a clean cockpit which is why I installed the Sram AXS GX shifter and reverb dropper. Less is more I guess. 🤔. I’ve rotated and positioned the Kiox controller to a lower position on the bar but still within reach of my thumb. I probably use the controller twice during a ride since I’m mostly in eMTB mode anyways (or purple at a quick glance). But I know that everyone wants different information during a ride and that’s the nice thing about the Kiox …it can be customized to suit your needs. I also tighten the brake lever clamps just enough so they don’t move or rotate easily (2-3nm ?).

A broken Kiox controller bar clamp sucks. It was only $50 but still …I learned a lesson.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles