Kiox or Purion on 2021 Rail 9.7?

franaroon

Aug 4, 2020
California
Looking at the Trek website, some parts of the description say Purion and some say Kiox. The pictures seem to interchange as well. Does anyone know for sure which it will come with?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I have the 2020 9.7 model and it came with the Purion. The Kiox computer was an upgrade that cost about $400cdn. (Plus installation).

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I think I read that the 2021 Rails were now coming with the kiox display

franaroon

Aug 4, 2020
California
The ProjectOne colors show pictures of both, and under “The Tech You Get” section it lists the Purion. But I’m thinking (hoping!) they just used some of last years text and pictures. When are you expecting yours to be delivered bluewater87? I can’t get a solid delivery date on mine.

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
2021 Rail 9 (default) comes with Kiox, thus a 9.7 should indeed better have it :)

While purion is fine for when you are always anyway to busy to look at it because you are riding tricky trails; kiox & nyon, when synced through phone to cloud (a wee bit negative) allow you to later see what you actually did, and if you do the same trail multiple times if you improve over time. Thus I prefer having a kiox; nyon is a wee too much like a cellphone again though for my taste (already have that in my pocket ;) )

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I had my LBS install the Kiox after I received the 9.7 in November 2019. I like the display and the remote however there are two things that concern me.
1-If you don’t notice that the kiox has fallen off after a crash you must retrace your trail/path and search. This has happened to me twice. Once it was next to me and the other time took 15-20min to find. The magnetic release is a great feature and prevents unnecessary damage but if the kiox falls off or gets knocked off during a decent a rider may not notice. I think a short tether attached to the kiox and mount could prevent this.
2-within a few weeks of the kiox install I noticed Bluetooth connection issues. These were intermittent at first but soon became impossible to make a Bluetooth connection with the app.
My LBS addressed this issue and I then purchased the “lock-feature”. The lock feature worked correctly until I could not make any connection between my phone (or between any device) and the kiox computer. This meant no peddle assist. I contacted Bosch but they had no solution. They eventually stopped emailing me. I had to get the LBS to de-activate the “lock-feature “. When I purchased the lock-feature “ I activated it through the app and Bluetooth. Once I could no longer make a connection the lock feature remained active. I have since deactivated the lock feature because I fear that I could be locked out again. ($11.00 well spent?).
Since the recent updates the connection issue is not as bad, but it’s still bad.
I like kiox, the app and the features that come with this device. I’m sure that I’m not the only customer who is having these issues but being ignored by Bosch is probably the most frustrating.

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
I think a short tether attached to the kiox and mount could prevent this.

Agree with the tether, I've also lost dropped mine of my bike already twice, and it being black, not always easy to find.

One hint though: install a Bluetooth tool, eg. LightBlue (iOS) or LightBlue (Android). Then when walking around and it is still functional, it should pop up and show you signal strength, which when improving means you get closer, if signal reduces you are getting further away.
Works great in the forest, sucks in a city with too many devices :)

> Once I could no longer make a connection the lock feature remained active

Yes, it is a bit silly as there are two problems: losing phone or losing kiox.

If your phone dies, then your bike won't power either :(

Ability to have two Kiox'es or bind to two phones would be better indeed... or at least some other bluetooth token.

Fortunately one can still cycle, just without assist.

It indeed limits the usability of the lock feature quite a bit, the beep beep is still satisfying though even though it means the bike is not locked-locked; engine lock would have been awesome.... an automatic hydraulic arm clutching the nearest pole would be cool too though :)

Then again, may folks, especially here, ride their bikes in the middle of nowhere, thus locking is typically not really needed anyway.
And it primarily protects from other people with a Kiox riding away on it, powered.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Agree with the tether, I've also lost dropped mine of my bike already twice, and it being black, not always easy to find.

One hint though: install a Bluetooth tool, eg. LightBlue (iOS)
Yes, it is a bit silly as there are two problems: losing phone or losing kiox.
If your phone dies, then your bike won't power either :(
Ability to have two Kiox'es or bind to two phones would be better indeed... or at least some other bluetooth token.

It indeed limits the usability of the lock feature quite a bit, the beep beep is still satisfying though even though it means the bike is not locked-locked; engine lock would have been awesome.... an automatic hydraulic arm clutching the nearest pole would be cool too though :)

Then again, may folks, especially here, ride their bikes in the middle of nowhere, thus locking is typically not really needed anyway.
And it primarily protects from other people with a Kiox riding away on it, powered.

LightBlue app looks interesting.
I agree with most of your suggestions. Good ideas.
A short tether would of saved us a bit of time and some worry. My buddy thankfully found the Kiox where it had fallen off. He remembered that i had a crash in an area and returned to it. After several minutes...there it was.
I don’t usually use any assist on a downhill trail so I don’t look at or use my Kiox. I may not notice the Kiox is missing until I activate peddle assist. By then I could be some distance away from the fallen Kiox. And being black makes it even harder to find. An audible ping or beep could be useful. That could be activated thru the app or when the Kiox is detached.

I would like to use the lock feature and I realize that it’s only a small deterrent, but I am worried that I may be locked out inadvertently because I cannot connect with the app.

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
The ProjectOne colors show pictures of both, and under “The Tech You Get” section it lists the Purion. But I’m thinking (hoping!) they just used some of last years text and pictures. When are you expecting yours to be delivered bluewater87? I can’t get a solid delivery date on mine.

I ordered it when the 2021 models cameup on the Canada website (just over a monto ago), with an eta of October as per the dealer screen.
my dealer just updated me yesterday with a nov 16 eta.
I’m in sw ontario, Canada.

franaroon

Aug 4, 2020
California
I ordered it when the 2021 models cameup on the Canada website (just over a monto ago), with an eta of October as per the dealer screen.
my dealer just updated me yesterday with a nov 16 eta.
I’m in sw ontario, Canada.

Bummer! My original ETA was end of August but I haven’t been able to get an update so I’m preparing myself to hear it’s been delayed. I’m in California. I’ll cross my fingers for both of us that we get them sometime this year.

rsutton1223

Aug 25, 2020
Milton, GA
I believe it comes with Purion unless you special order it with Kiox through Project One. Kiox is standard on 9.8 and above. That said...it is a super easy upgrade. I got the Kiox after I drug the Purion computer on a wreck. It is just too exposed on the bars for aggressive riding. The Kiox setup is much better for not that expensive of an upgrade.

DSC02280.jpg
DSC02282.jpg

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
If it says kiox under the bike you have selected, then surely it must come with a kiox.

If not, that’s false advertising

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
I believe it comes with Purion unless you special order it with Kiox through Project One. Kiox is standard on 9.8 and above.

For 2020 and before that was the case indeed, though one could always separately upgrade it, no need to go all the way for Project One.

For the 2021 Model Rail 9's you get Kiox.... even for the base GX.
2021 Rail 7 still comes with Purion though.

PS: nice quality pix!

franaroon

Aug 4, 2020
California
For 2020 and before that was the case indeed, though one could always separately upgrade it, no need to go all the way for Project One.

For the 2021 Model Rail 9's you get Kiox.... even for the base GX.
2021 Rail 7 still comes with Purion though.

PS: nice quality pix!
That’s the answer I was looking for, thanks!

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
Wanted to follow up with a definite answer. I finally got pictures of my built bike (that I get to pick up on Saturday!!) and it definitely has a Kiox.
Pics or it didn’t happen
Thanks for letting us know

when did you place your order and when was your original delivery date?
My original date was october, so I’m hoping my 21 9.7 volt/carbon XL comes in soon.

Last edited:

franaroon

Aug 4, 2020
California
Pics or it didn’t happen
Thanks for letting us know

when did you place your order and when was your original delivery date?
My original date was october, so I’m hoping my 21 9.7 volt/carbon XL comes in soon.
I ordered the end of July and my original expected date was end of August. If I didn’t live so far from the bike shop it would be sitting in my garage right now. I’m beyond excited!

55B2621D-D88A-4D43-B01E-F46199814A71.jpeg

AB854858-C8DB-4E20-A436-6BE7BAA1929B.jpeg

PetrD

Jul 27, 2020
CZ
Nice. I use this position for kiox also. It is way better then on frame tube for seeing.

I have Rail 7. I bought the tube kiox mount by Trek also, but changed my mind and take the original Bosch mount.

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Nice. I use this position for kiox also. It is way better then on frame tube for seeing.

I have Rail 7. I bought the tube kiox mount by Trek also, but changed my mind and take the original Bosch mount.
I did the same thing, changed my mind. I can see the Kiox better on the stem.
The Kiox got knocked off a couple of times so I made up the tether. ??

Man of Finland

Dec 31, 2020
Finland
I did the same thing, changed my mind. I can see the Kiox better on the stem.
The Kiox got knocked off a couple of times so I made up the tether. ??
I have a Rail 7 also and Kiox retrofit installed to the stem. It is optimal for viewing. I used the screw on the mount so it is not coming off. Kiox is much better compared to Purion. Nice to see my heart rate when paired with heart rate chest band.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
By adding 100-150 EUR to budget you can buy Nyon MY21 and get capability to adjust different assist profiles. I'm currently running purion but this new Nyon made Kiox retrofit kit non desirable update.

Nyon though is bigger than Kiox.

PetrD

Jul 27, 2020
CZ
I made my decision between the new Nyon and Kiox, and Kiox won for me - I like to ride action trails and dont want to have big box on stem or frame. If I would have a bike for trekking, the Nyon is the winner for that purpose.

And the decision about position - I bought the original Trek mount for frame, but after I had seen the bike of Tracy Moseley, I tried both positions and my neck told me use the stem. And It is safer for action ride. I also tried to flip the bike on handlebars, and it is possible without any problem (put off the kiox display, and I have upgraded handlebars to 35 by Trek)

2ED9B171-3BFA-496C-8A2B-DC93AE03B7DE.jpeg

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
So here’s the evolution of upgrades with the Kiox mount, stem, light, bar and attachment.

I installed a 35mm carbon which needed a new stem (60mm). Replaced that with the 45mm blendr stem which accepted the universal GoPro/light mount. Got the light attachment (quick connection). The LBS thought I might have to reposition the Kiox to the lower bar so they ordered that mount for the Kiox. They figured the clearance between the light and the Kiox would be an issue.

Since I also ride at night, or when it’s dark out, I wanted sufficient lighting. I also wanted to see the display on the Kiox easily. Keeping the Kiox mounted on the stem made seeing the Kiox at a glance easier.

So it is possible to have lights, an optimum location for the Kiox and tether it.

7590B690-2A18-4641-97CC-DFEEAF386B3F.jpeg

B826DF80-0956-48E7-BFB4-5C3251C740BB.jpeg

961B4BED-7016-46D2-A3C9-0BFA1C776273.jpeg

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
@Stihldog love the tether, definitely something I need to change also, already dropped my Kiox twice (kicked it off with a odd leg movement), handlebar might be a bit better position because of that. Thanks for the ideas!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
@Stihldog love the tether, definitely something I need to change also, already dropped my Kiox twice (kicked it off with a odd leg movement), handlebar might be a bit better position because of that. Thanks for the ideas!
Some Kiox owners screw the Kiox to the mount. This might be ok if the Kiox was mounted on the lower bar. I like that the Kiox can magnetically disconnect …it did its job a few times. It’s never bounced off even though I smash up on some big marbles.
But that time when we had to search for the Kiox helped me come up with a solution. I like the stem mount location now that I use a small tether.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles